Chords In Keys - For Jamming

Learn how to find chords in any key and get started with jamming in G and C Major. The Unit 1 Practice Schedule is here!

View the full lesson at Chords In Keys - For Jamming | JustinGuitar

So is the pattern for g the same for c? If the same notes are played then the pattern is different

1 Like

Welcome to the community Chris
The pattern is the same for all Keys The pattern is WWHWWWH
What is different is the Root note(starting point) the notes and the chord in the
Key.

Key of G
Notes G A B C D E F# Chords G Am Bm C D Em F#dim

Key Of C
Notes C D E F G A B Chords C Dm Em F G Am Bdim

1 Like

I think there’s a typo in the second sentence under ‘A REVIEW ON BASIC CHORDS.’ Left out the third note.

[ mod edit - thanks for the alert, typo now fixed ]

Cheers, Richard_close2u

1 Like

So why in an intermediate course are you referring to the G string as string 3 and D as string 4. We need to learn the notes and its time you started teaching them . Im in major scale master module Combining pattern 1and 2 Thanks. Otherwise Im happy w the course since the beginners course. Paul

1 Like

Hi Paul and welcome :slight_smile:

Such parlance regarding string numbers over names is commonplace throughout the world and is probably a hard habit to break lol.

1 Like

the relative minor of G is E, so you can make a transition lick or something to go from the g major at the 3rd-5th frets to the Em pentatonic at the 12-15 frets.

Just saying!

1 Like

Same pattern for G major scale and C major scale - differnet notes.

1 Like

Is there a handy chart for all the chords in a particaluar key ? For example i want to know all the chords that belong to the a major or minor scale (In the Key Of A…) ? That would be useful for the lazy ones :slight_smile:

1 Like

THE G MAJOR SCALE
If you look at the G Major Scale, you’ll see its notes are G A B C D E F#.

The I, IV, and V will be G, C, and D.

The II, III, and VI will be Am, Bm, and Em ← ? I don’t understand this yet.What is the formula for THIS ?

-Oliver

1 Like

Hi the formula is as follows, diatonic chord progression in any key is maj, min, min, maj, maj, min, dim. So put your notes from a chosen key in front of those majors and minors and you get your answer why :wink:

1 Like

Oh yes, now I understand this.It‘s so easy😁

1 Like

How do you open MSM -1 using open source software such as Tux guitar?

Forgive any ignorance on my part, but how does one determine which key any tune is played in in the first instance?

1 Like

No ignorance on your part we only know what we know so forgiveness needed.

It takes time to get good at it but the more you do it the easier it gets.
One way is to pluck the E string up and down the neck when listening to the song. One note should seem to fit more than the others notes and some note will just sound really bad. skip the bad notes until you narrow it down to a few good sounding ones.
If more than one note fits write them down and see what scale they all fit into. those will be the chords to the song, then see what key those chord fit. That’s the key.
You can check to see if you’re correct by looking up the key of the song on the internet. Try and figure it out on your own first don’t just look it up. Ear training is a very important part of learning that most people skip. The more you use your ears the better they get at recognizing notes then chords.

3 Likes

The Circle of Fifths provides exactly this information when you know how to read it.

Thank you for the information stitch. When you know “How to”, these things have a way of falling into place. I will do as you suggest.

1 Like

I realize that for this lesson Justin says to not worry about the vii chord in the scale (for example in the key of C), but what is confusing me is that in the lesson notes Justin refers to this vii chord in C as Bdim (B diminished). However I thought that the vii chord was half-diminished, AKA a min7b5 (minor 7 flat 5), not a diminished chord. Isn’t there a difference between a half-diminished chord, or a min7b5 chord, and a diminished chord? Wouldn’t the vii chord in C be a Bmin7b5 or B half diminished, rather than Bdim?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Patrick
Yes there is a difference, a Diminished chord is a triad and has 3 notes. The root the flat(minor) 3rd and the flat(diminished)5. the Min7b5 has 4 notes same as the diminished chord but with flat 7.
They are interchangeable but the m7b5 usually sounds better.

2 Likes

Ok great. Thank you for responding!

1 Like