Common Chord Progressions

I’ve badly neglected my theory, but went to look up some common minor chord progressions for a ditty (surprise, surprise) when I came across this:

I thought Roman numeral cases indicated major/minor, or am I missing something very basic and need to go to jail without collecting £200?
Also in the 10 common chord progressions, it might make things easier if minor chords were indicated with lower case numerals?
(I’m having trouble finding ants… :roll_eyes:)

1 Like

Hi Brian,
With a good chance that I misunderstand your question…new beginning of the key, just start again at 1…if it starts at G then that is the 1 …etc…“coincidentally” do these have the same chords in them,
I hope not to be corrected :crossed_fingers:
Greetings

1 Like

I don’t understand why in the lower section Am is assigned I (instead of i) and C is iii (instead of III) :thinking:

1 Like

Aa ,I see …and I never cared why written with capital and small letters…
I don’t know the benefit of knowing this so I’m going to do my best to forget your question :grimacing:
Please can someone help this wandering man??? :laughing:
Greetings

Psss… It took many weeks of theory lessons of many hours (sometimes 8) a day before I saw that there was an I or an i… then it was already too late for me…now I have reading classes and don`t care :smile:

1 Like

I can’t expect you to know that my beloved left me for a week to walk very slowly with a banner through the streets of London. Thus the ant-shortage :wink:

Over to you, Bob @Richard_close2u :laughing:

2 Likes

I am now reading your first question for the 5th time or so…and I understand your confusion and my weird answer…Yes, I actually thought it that way Minor small…i… Major large…I. …

Ooo we are so screwed :see_no_evil:

But send here my(our) best wishes and success :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

It should be lowercase for minor and uppercase for major delete that charts and make your own for every key and relative minor. That way it will stay in your head.

2 Likes

Cheers Rick, I don’t think I need to do it for all the keys, as my memory for that kind of thing is not great and I find it easier just to think of where things are on the circle of 5ths and the barre chords on my guitar.
I just wasn’t sure if I was missing a trick here, as Justin says in the minor lesson that it gets really complicated with melodic/harmonic/natural minors etc. :smiley:

1 Like

But you may need to hold your horses a wee while longer …

1 Like

No, no, no, no NOOOOO… :scream:
I simply need to know if it was a typo.
I do not need to explore another rabbit hole in this warren.
I’m having a creative day, not an intellectual one :rofl:

2 Likes

Glad to be corrected…

You are… :laughing:

Run Brian runnnn

1 Like

Short answer…

Copy / paste error methinks.
I will correct it.

RE: the all caps for all cjords in the 10 common progressions … I recall Justin saying or writing that is a deliberate choice (rather than upper for major only and lower for minor) though I don’t recall why just at the moment.

There, no mental effort required.
Phew.

ps
Marching on that there London?
I hope it is in a good cause.

1 Like

Phew! :sweat_smile:

Saving the :earth_americas:/humanity good enough? :wink:

2 Likes

What would really, really, help in this lesson would be to include the main barre chord shapes below the video. Basically something like this:

2 Likes

@Pronewbie I get your point and appreciate you posting a clear graphic. Justin does post a link to his lessons on barre chords within the Learn More content of the lesson however.

Hello all,

would like to place a little ask here…

I am grade 1 and I can play E, A, D, Em, Am, Dm, G and C. I really cant play F, but I would like to start doing some chord progression that makes sense so I can feel more like I play some nice music. Got acoustic and electric guitar… I can feel F is easier on electric, but I cant do it yet.
Right now I am doing lot of DDUUD and changing G, Em, Am and C. That sounds pretty good to me, but I would like to practice something right… checked Google of course and there are lot of tutorials… I believe more to this community.
Can you please give me some examples of chord progressions that I can play with MY chords? :slight_smile:

Thanks, Mike

Michal, re: your question …

Here are the ten progressions using Roman numerals.

Important: Justin uses all CAPITALS for both major and minor chords.
I am going to change that (for ease of reading) so that major chords are upper case and minor chords are lower case.

1] I - V - vi - IV
2] I - vi - ii - V
3] I - vi - IV - V
4] I - vi - iii - V
5] I - iii - IV - V
6] I - V - IV - V
7] I - V- ii - IV
8] iii - vi - ii - V
9] vi - IV - V - I
10] I - IV - I - V

The chord you have learned can be placed in several common keys. Doing so will allow you to see which is the I, which the ii, the ii, the IV, the V and the vi. The vii (diminished chord) is not included).

Key of A:
A, Bm, C#m, D, E, F#m

Key of C:
C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am

Key of D
D, Em, F#m, G, A, Bm

Key of E
E, F#m, G#m, A, B, C#m

Key of G

G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em

I have typed in bold font the chords you can currently play.

In the key of A they are I, IV and V.

In the key of C they are all chords I to vi.

In the key of D they are I, ii, IV and V.

In the key of E they are just I and IV.

In the key of G they are I, ii, IV, V and vi.

I hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard | JustinGuitar Approved Teacher, Official Guide & Moderator

1 Like

I recently dropped this screenshot into @sairfingers topic christmas-new-year-party-singalongs following a “discussion” about learning common chord progressions - a good thing in my book !

I was then asked if I could share the document for folks to print out. So here is a link to the XLS spreadsheet on Google Drive.

Link To Google Drive

Thank you @roger_holland for point out and E normous error in one Key ! Hopefully, everything else is in order.

:sunglasses:

7 Likes

Hi Toby,
I saw it absolutely by chance and a E has only one line more than an F, it just wouldn’t have been noticeable without glasses and then it was just a typo , I normally never look at these charts , it has been in my head for a while and when I need it I use the guitar in my hand , I never dared to hope that I would know this by heart and if you did this 3 years ago If you had told me that that was possible, I would have given you the name Madman … :blush:
By not “cheating” it helped me learn quickly and it helped me unfold the fretboard and I can now play chords in a key all over the neck without thinking about it :sweat_smile: :sunglasses:

But many people will be happy with such an overview :wink:

Greetings

1 Like