Common Chord Progressions

These chord progressions form the foundation of thousands of songs. Do I have to say anything else? :)

View the full lesson at Common Chord Progressions | JustinGuitar

When should i move on from this lesson? I have practised about 5 of the patterns and can remember all of them, should I keep on learning them and then move on, or should I just move on when I feel like it?

Hey. From which lesson do the bar chord shapes come from? I feel that I need to freshen up on that!
Thanks for all the good content

After a little break I took up the theory course again. While it’s clear that in this lesson all chord progressions are diatonic, is it OK to use extensions like dominant 7 or major 7 chords? For example, the I - VI - IV - V progression sounds really nice with Dmaj7 - Bm - Gmaj7 - A7 or D - Bmin7 - Gmaj7 - A chords.

@Jozsef
Playing extended chords and staying diatonic is absolutely fine and possible.
I won’t go into too much detail as you will meet more of the theory as you work through the theory course.
I will add that of the seven diatonic chords, all three minor chords can happily be played as min7, two of the major chords can happily be played as maj7 but one and one only major chord becomes dominant 7 … that chord is the V chord. The diminished can be extended to become a chord with two names (half diminished or m7b5).

Hope that helps.

Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. I tried playing G7 in the above examples but it sounded really out of place, now I know why :slight_smile:

It would … in the key of D your I and IV major chords are D and G which can become major 7 but the A and only the A (the V chord) becomes A7.

1 Like

I tried now to fit the m7b5 into this progression, and it’s really special. It sounds good only if it comes after degrees I, II or IV.

The m7b5 is the variant of diminished chord that is used 90+ percent of the time when a diminished is used. A diminished triad is seldom used.

1 Like

I - V - II - IV sounded so familiar and then I realized it’s Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.

How strict a rule is that you have 4 chords in a progression? Or is it just that the majority of pop/rock music is structured this way? For example, the Dylan song alternates between the I - V - II and I - V - IV progressions.

Have had to post this for a long time.