Confusing site good stuff but

Creating a practice routine, finding my way around, adding liked songs are all very confusing. I feel the site is not intuitive. Lot of good stuff but little logic.

1 Like

Start at Grade 1 lesson 1 follow the bouncy ball.
Go to song library, find song, click like. Song now in you library.
Simples.

2 Likes

I felt the same when I first started looking around, but it is making sense now. A little perseverance and it has fallen into place. My observation is that the material has evolved over a period of years so I imagine the structure has too. As you say it is all top quality.

1 Like

Just go to the site map it’s all laid out nice and easy.

Songs are the same go to the song page search by Grad or artist or Genre
could be any easier.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments everyone. I have finished Grade 1 and the links that I followed were not the same links as in the site map. I actually know something about software development and application structure. I know that even helpful criticism isn’t helpful. Perseverance will be my guiding light.

Are you doing the old Beginner Couse. Justin started redoing the
whole sight 3 years ago. He has finished grade 1 and 2.
Grade 3 is about half way finidhed with all the new lessons.

Yeah, I have a lot of trouble with the new web site too. I have trouble finding where I left off in anything. I have trouble finding the newest lessons, that used to be in chronological order at the bottom of the home page, with the most recent at the top. I’ll get an email about a new song lesson, and a couple of days later go to the web site to watch it and can’t find it.

@reblark Justin and the web dev team are very open to helpful suggestions and user feedback.
Justin knows the content only too well as he created it all.
The web dev team know how it is all pieced together.
But they are not on the same perspective as someone actually using the site as a beginner.
So please do chip in with any positive suggestions you may feel are going to benefit you and others.

Tagging @LievenDV to this topic

2 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :joy:
Hi Ralph…
I went running and running and running after that ball and it was/is fantastic.

It took me a few days to find my way around the new for,…community,and that works even a lot better than the old one…As described above,keep calm and ask your questions,…then comes it’s fine by itself…
Greetings ,Rogier

1 Like

I understand the experience.
I already addressed some team members that we could benefit from some Usability optimisations when it comes to the dashboard etc. because there is some stuff I find confusing myself.

As richard said, keeping that “outside-in” view isn’t always easy, for those who are into it on a daily basis. By all means, if you ever feel up to it, feel free to list the more specific items that confuse you.

3 Likes

Thank you. I actually understand the issue having built several websites. Many times you just can’t see what the user sees. One quick feedback is that you have somany deadens pages. No way out. Of course, you can always hit the back button but that is not the mark of a good website. From all the responses I have been getting, I believe you want a good website. From watching Justin’s videos, I believe he wants a good website. I feel you have the most work do do on navigation and structure. I am glad you are responsive to feedback. Thank you.

2 Likes

One point of confusion - this is called Site Map, but when you click the link the page shows as Lesson Map…not the same thing…at least in my mind.

A small point, perhaps, but a lot of small points can add up to big confusion.

Tagging @LievenDV, following Richard’s example upthread

Now, back to searching for the Community Site Map… :man_shrugging:

Some website feedback.

This module:

comes under Advanced Grade 7, but is not listed under Blues in “Courses by Style”. So I always have trouble finding it again, as I can never remember what grade it was in. Should it also be included under “Courses by Style”? That is where I would expect to find it.

Maybe not the most polished solution, but you could mark the lessons you want to revisit now and then as ‘favorites’. Should make it easier to find them when you want to (unless you have a ton of lessons in your favorites).

I can’t see anywhere to mark lessons as favourites.

@oztelemann

Alan, you can mark a course as favourite on the view shown below by clicking the heart …

Then the lesson is visible on the Favourite view …

One way to find lessons is to use the lesson map https://www.justinguitar.com/site-map-and-lesson-structure. You’d find all the blues lessons on that page.

That said, I will pass your comment about the Blues Style page, as I think it could be more user friendly.

1 Like

Ah, thanks David. That is a really good way to quickly mark all the lessons I want to revisit.

Can you also pass on another suggestion. Put a tooltip (a small info box that appears on hover) onto that heart icon.

1 Like