Congratulations - Traveling Wilburys

Thanks for that Dave. The original has a riff going through the song and I was trying to catch a little of that vibe. Glad you enjoyed the song.

Pleased I brought back some memories for you JK. I’ve just realised this is the ‘newest’ song I’ve done on AVoYP. I’ve finally emerged from the 60/70’s!
Thanks for this listen and kind comments.

@BigLuc Thank for taking time to listen and comment Luc. Much appreciated.

2 Likes

Hi Gordon, I can only echo what @NicoleKKB and others have said, so I won’t write it all again. I like every performance you post, you have such a relaxed guitar playing and such a beautiful voice. I like your ability to create your own backing tracks, a lot to learn from.

Thanks for being this honest! That’s one of my biggest struggles, not being able to play a song without mistakes and sometimes, it’s the very last note :see_no_evil:
Thanks for sharing this jewel!

1 Like

Thanks for the listen and supportive comments David, always much appreciated.

I don’t usually have a problem with vocal phrasing when playing solo with the guitar although some songs are harder than others. I suppose because you can adjust the tempo slightly of either the vocal or guitar to suit as you’re in control of the whole thing.
It’s a different story of course when you add a backing track into the equation as you then have to stick rigidly to the timing. This is where practising along with other people would be a huge benefit and there is a huge skill involved in playing with others. If my wife and I ever try to play together (she’s learning piano) we usually end up in a mess.
Bob Dylan is a master of vocal phrasing (especially if you listen to his live stuff). His lyrics are all over the place but the key thing is he ends on the beat.
Your guitar hero Keef is the same with guitar. He can weave about but again he’ll end his riff or whatever on the beat.
You’ve mentioned buying a Trio pedal and they certainly are good for keeping you in time.

I agree and it’s a pity they didn’t stay together and do more songs but I suppose it’s pretty impossible to keep all those egos in harmony and they all had their own separate careers.

1 Like

And of course Orbison passed away about the same time.

I enjoyed this documentary Traveling Wilburys - The True History Of The Traveling Wilburys Documentary - YouTube

1 Like

Hi Gordon,
What a wonderful and cheerful performance :sunglasses: :clap: :sunglasses:…I’m going to do my best not to look up the lyrics for a while to stay in a positive mood :laughing:
And now back into the garden and go on with the spring cleanup :sunglasses: :lady_beetle: :sunflower: :spider:
Greetings and thanks for the smile :smiley:

1 Like

And another thing I’ve learned when doing this song. I thought the word ‘Traveling’ looked wrong. Shouldn’t it have 2 ‘l’s’?
Mr Google tells me that yes, in UK English it is spelt ‘Travelling’. In American English it’s spelt ‘Traveling’. Clearly the American section of the group was in charge of spelling. :smiley:

I think I’ve had a similar conversation with someone here before. ‘Spelt’ in UK. ‘Spelled’ in America. :joy:

@CateB @Helen0609
Pleased you enjoyed the song Cate and Andrea. Thanks for taking time to listen and comment.
Yes Andrea, it’s all too easy to see the finishing line coming up and lose focus.

Thanks Rogier. Glad you liked the performance.
I too enjoy getting into the garden in the Spring. I like seeing all the new growth on the plants and the promise of the year ahead.

1 Like

Nice job Gordon, as usual.

1 Like

Hey Gordon,
Nicely done… You might be getting to the point you should be considering a DAW…

Nice performance and I enjoyed it. Great little song!
LB

1 Like

@MiJoy
Thanks for the listen Mike, much appreciated.
@LBro
Thanks LB. Glad you enjoyed my version.

Never say never, but I only want to be able to play for/with family and friends so solo guitar or a quick basic Trio+ backing is enough for me.
As for recording, I’ll only ever record for AVoYP on this site so my simple iPhone approach is sufficient.

The one thing I might consider is a pickup for my acoustic guitar. That way I could overdub an acoustic rhythm over the Trio+ drum/bass which would then give me something to overdub a lead riff to. See - it’s already getting too complicated! :smiley:

Quite a while back I was advised by Rick (@stitch) that a clip on passive pickup wouldn’t have the power to activate the Trio looper. This was based on the fact that my electric has to have the volume at 3 or 4 before it activates the Trio+ pedal.
I haven’t progressed that idea since then.

@sairfingers If you do decide to get a pick up for your Martin you can do one of two things.

1. get a pick up with a built in pre amp. You’ll need a battery inside the guitar but you’ll have a volume control on the guitar.
  2. get a pick up with a separate pre amp. This way you don’t need to take the strings off your guitar to change the battery.

Then there is the 3rd option buy an acoustic with a built in pick up. A Gibson J 45 would pair nicely with your Martin :thinking:

Good job on Congratulations. It’s been an earworn all week.

1 Like

Thanks for that suggestion Rick. I suspect option 1 or 2 might just be a little less expensive! :wink:
Glad you enjoyed the song, sorry about the earworm. :smiley:

No problem with the earworm I always enjoy your videos. They are all natural, to many people hide behind their effects forget how good an acoust can sound.
What you’ve got going is the way to go keep it up.

1 Like

Thanks for that link David, I watched it last night. Amazing to watch how the whole thing comes together. Such a collection of talent, ideas and musicianship.
Some terrific quotes such as “Bob had a few days free before he went on tour so we all went round to Dave Stewart’s house and set up the vocal mics in his kitchen”. :smiley:

2 Likes

Well it’s been too long since we had a music night / campfire at home here Gordon, so how about Saturday evening at 8ish, see you then?

Also - I really enjoyed your cover of this song :slightly_smiling_face:

Way to make me feel old JK!! Lol

2 Likes

Sounds worthy of a gate crash

2 Likes

:rofl: Oh sorry about that :rofl: @DavidP mentioned above it was to drown out Nirvana & Pearl Jam - nope, was too young for that, it was in primary school. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Great rendition, Gordon! Top playing and singing. Chord transitions looked effortless and your vocals sounded great. Very enjoyable watch! :clap: :star_struck:

Although that was definitely me though in the early 90s! Had those bands on high rotation in our house drowning out mum & dad’s attempts to play their favourites, Traveling Wilburys being amongst them… In hindsight I could have learned a lot by keeping my ears more open to their collection at the time, wasn’t until a few years later that I’d circle back to revisit some of the classics from the 50s/60s/70s eras (not that TWs released their stuff then but from a teenager’s perspective at the time, they might as well have :wink::sweat_smile:)…

2 Likes

@JK Just to be clear, JK … I figured you’d be trying to drown out The Wilburys and Cat Stevens with Nirvana and Pearl Jam rather than the other way around. :rofl:

1 Like

Great. I’ll bring some beers or do you prefer wine? I’ll leave you to make some snacks. :smiley:
Glad you enjoyed the song and yes JK’s comment made me feel old too. :smiley:

1 Like