Conquered, if only for a blip

Nothing exciting to most but for meā€¦.Iā€™m feeling like Buzz Aldrin

F, my nemesis that Iā€™ve been fretting (pardon the intended pun :wink:) about since the birth of my guitar journey 3 months ago, seemed like something Iā€™d maybe achieve in my next life. However, I grabbed the guitar after dinner, went straight for the chord and hello, I strummed a relatively acceptable F barre chord - twice. My left hand has never felt such pain like it has right now but thatā€™s possibly due to the fact I was too afraid to lift it away for a few minutes, despite the 3rd strum being not so great, for fear iā€™ll never play it again but hey, I did it. One small fret ā€¦ā€¦

Thanks to those whoā€™ve encouraged me both here and on YT

Cate

18 Likes

Thatā€™s definitely worthy of a - ā€œHell Yes!ā€

3 Likes

Thank you, I totally agree. Even if it was only 2 but itā€™s 2 more than yesterday. Thanks so much

1 Like

Ha haā€¦ 2 more than 0 though.

Iā€™d a very similar experience that went from couldnā€™t, couldnā€™t, couldnā€™t - then one day, very recently picked, up the guitar and it just happened. It was almost like the hand had decided to just upgrade itself. Was then jumping around the room with joy :smile:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly how I felt. I didnā€™t want to lift my hand off for fear of never accomplishing it again. Iā€™m so glad you also achieved your battle. Such a wonderful feeling right?! Onwards and upwards :slightly_smiling_face::guitar:

F Barre sorted ? Congrats. :sunglasses:

You Rock Rock

1 Like

ā€œSortedā€ may be giving me too much credit but itā€™s definitely on its way so Iā€™ll happily accept your rock.
Thank you Toby

1 Like

Congratulations!

Butā€¦not meaning to rain on your paradeā€¦this is worryingā€¦

Does it still hurt?

1 Like

Thank you and no. It did for a little bit as I do have quite weak hand strength but Iā€™m using a hand exerciser thingy to help. It was more so that I really didnā€™t want to take my hand away but no, Itā€™s fine. Thank you for asking though. I appreciate it Tom

Way to go!!!

In my world that is an fine excuse for an glass of red wine to celebrate :rofl:

1 Like

YAY!!! :guitar: :smiley:

1 Like

Trond, I once would have had one or a few but I no longer drink. However, please feel free to have one for me

Thank you so much :wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass:

1 Like

Cheers Rebecca :slightly_smiling_face::guitar::guitar:

You made me hope I can do it when I finally get to F. Just semi-conquered C and G is next, fortunately G looks a lot easier than C.

1 Like

That is so great! We all have to go through learning the dreaded F chord, but once you can play it, and as you get more comfortable playing it, being able to play bar chords, apart from sounding good, opens up the fretboard to being able to play a song in any key you want. Congratulations!

That was pretty funny - since I can relate with a couple of other chords! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

C is a chord I actually learned 40 yrs ago however, only had 4 lessons, not with my own guitar but quitā€¦because of the F. In saying that, Iā€™m really struggling on the C because I donā€™t recall having to mute 1st E so Iā€™m with you there. I find that one also difficult. G is okay but the changeovers Iā€™m finding harder. Itā€™s all fun and games though. Weā€™ll both get there :heart::guitar:

1 Like

After watching many guitarists and seeing just how much they use barre chords, I can definitely see just how important they are. Itā€™s early days so Iā€™m not going to put too much pressure on myself however was beginning to feel like this is just something Iā€™m not cut out for but no. I can do it. We ALL can do it. Thank you Mari

3 Likes

Keep that hope alive Rebecca. I have total faith in you. If I did it (just the once so far), we both can xx

My muting of the 6th string for the C chord is hit or miss currently, mostly miss, but Justin did say not to worry too much about that in the beginning. Iā€™m pretty sure he did say it will happen eventually. :grinning:

1 Like

I vaguely recall him saying the that so for now, Iā€™m going to just strengthen the hand and practice of finger stretching. Iā€™m sure weā€™ll both be rocking out our Cā€™s in no time