Conquered, if only for a blip

I vaguely recall him saying the that so for now, Iā€™m going to just strengthen the hand and practice of finger stretching. Iā€™m sure weā€™ll both be rocking out our Cā€™s in no time

Yay ! :raised_hands: :blush:

1 Like

Thanks Sylvia

1 Like

Glad to hear itā€¦pain is usually a warning sign that you are gripping too hard for too long. Sounds like you held on with a death grip, hoping you would remember how to do it.

Be carefulā€¦I gave myself tennis elbow the first time I tried to learn barre chords. It took a year before the pain went away - and only after I discovered Trigger Point Therapy.

Justin and others talk about ā€œstrengthā€, but I think technique is more important. You need to learn to apply the absolute minimum amount of force to get the notes to ring, and no more.

2 Likes

I do feel like I gripped it far too tightly. I think Iā€™ll work more on my hand strength and less of squeezing the life out of the neck. I definitely donā€™t want to be getting an injury. Glad youā€™re okay now. Thanks so much again. I so appreciate the concern and will definitely be more aware.

Thank you Tom

I posted a video of how I practice barre chords. Let me know if you find it helpful, or have any questions.

(Practicing Barre Chords (without hurting yourself))

1 Like

Well done Cate! Took me a lot longer than you to conquer the dreaded F!

1 Like

After 3 loads of washing, dinner prepared, work clothes ironed, etc etc ā€¦. itā€™s now me time so am about to watch it.
Thank you so much Tom.

Thank you Eddie but when I said conquered, I meant I managed only two reasonably okay strums that didnā€™t have my son fleeing to his room. We shall see how I go again now :blush::slightly_smiling_face:

Break it gently to meā€¦.how long did it take you?

1 Like

Tomā€¦.WOW. Thank you so much. I canā€™t believe what a difference your video made. Never once did I think to hold it in the classical position but boy, what a difference. I also decided to try the strap Iā€™d bought myself but hadnā€™t used as yet. Iā€™m actually still trying to fathom that I just made several decent sounding Fsā€¦ā€¦minus, as you perfectly stated, that annoying B child but B aside, Iā€™ll be watching your video every day until I get it, which I now feel will be so much sooner. Thank you so much again for such a concise lesson. Iā€™ve not enough superlatives really. Thank you :pray:

That is really great to read Cate and congratulations. That F barre can sure make you sweat a little. Keep going and youā€™ll be Fā€™ing all over the place before you know it. :smiley:

1 Like

Haha! Iā€™ve gone and misplaced some important papers after a clean out on the weekend so am definitely doing a lot of Effing right now. Just not on the guitar but thank you Stefan. I hope to be appropriately Fā€™ing with fluidity, very soon.

1 Like

The thing that has helped me with the F chord is pulling with my left upper arm, pulling my hand onto the strings, particularly helps with the thin strings. I find this greatly reduces the amount of pressure I need to apply with my fingers and hand, which reduces the fatigue in my left hand.

1 Like

I think that may also, I hope, help with the B. Thatā€™s the one note thatā€™s just not ringing out. Well, when I manage to completely ā€œmasterā€ the other ones that is. Thank you. Iā€™ve been so preoccupied finding this stuff that Iā€™ve not picked up the :guitar: all arvo but will definitely remember to do that. Tom :point_up: posted a wonderful video for me, which is what has really helped so much more than even yesterday so will incorporate your advice with his and Iā€™m sure by the end of the week, Iā€™ll be playing sweet Fs in no time. :blush:. Thank you Matthew. Thanks Everyone.

Sorry, called you Stefan

It a eureka situation isnā€™t it?
Courtney did something similar, make sure that you watch to the end though (or skip some of it) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Winning there then Cate!!

1 Like

Iā€™m definitely having the dream of achieving it successfully and if so, I too will be screaming like Courtney. Her vocals are insane. Iā€™d only recently watched a YouTuber reacting to her. Left me gobsmacked :flushed:

1 Like

Cheers Mark. One slight handful of fingers at a time but lessening each time since Tomā€™s and Matthewā€™s help

Congrats Cate.

Now begins the long journey to build the muscle memory, strength and endurance. Make sure you practice it daily, then integrate it into songsā€¦ and over time youā€™ll eventually be able to play a song made up entirely of E shaped barre chords. Takes a while though!

1 Like

Awesome! Love it! :clap:
Such a great feeling!
Congratulations :smiling_face:

1 Like