Consolidation Practice Tip

Hello @gataloca welcome to the Community.
Are you getting that message on the actual JustinGuitar website or Youtube?
All good my end when I go to the lesson.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

On the JG website. I was using Firefox, and I could view the other Grade 1, Module 7 videos.

When I tried this video in Safari, I could view it.

1 Like

Hi all! I’m on module 5 at the moment, never played an instrument in my life, but I have dabbed in music using software(i.e. FL Studio). In regards to what Justin says at 2:38, I found a solution and was wondering if it’s all right to keep going like this: I do an up strum on beat 4 while the fret fingers are in the air getting ready for the chord change, and on beat 1 they are on the strings. So far It sounds really good for the few songs I’m playing at the moment, but I wonder if it’s a good habit to have for future play.

1 Like

Hello @Torm3ntor and welcome to the Community.

I am going to invert your statements …

That is fine. Justin mentions this in dozens and dozens of the song lessons for the beginner grades. If you hit open strings on an upstrum so that your fingers are in place to play the chord correctly on the all important beat of 1 then that is fine, normal, no issue to worry about at all.

Whereas that is a problem. Unless you have misrepresented yourself or mis-typed then you have a habit that you need to break.
Each and every time the beat lands on a numbered count - 1, 2, 3, 4 - you should be playing DOWN.

The ‘fingers-off’ strum that you are asking about, the one that you do on purpose to help you form the next chord in time, should be on an upstrum, not a down. And aim to only lightly brush a few of the thinner strings, not all strings with force.

Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | Community Moderator, Official Guide, JustinGuitar Approved Teacher

1 Like

Yes, I meant the “and” on the 4th beat. It just feels more natural to me, while using the “old faithful” pattern, to do an up strum as well after 4. This is what it would look like:
1+2 +3+ 4 +
D D U U D U

Thank you very much for the feedback!

2 Likes

@Torm3ntor
Far be it from me as a beginner to comment but I will. It is obviously not old faithful and quite similar to some of those in Justin’s Strumming Techniques but I am sure he says in one lesson that there is no reason not to make up your own if it sounds good. @Richard_close2u is also right if the fourth and is a change of chord then unless you are super quick then it would be open strings.
Apologies for interfering.

1 Like

I’m a little curious why Nitsuj doesn’t slow the tempo down on the song he mentioned being one where his chord changes aren’t as good quality as he’d like at the normal song tempo. I’m certain he would recommend to a student to slow the track right down until those chord changes improved. Not that I am criticizing, because I am actually very glad he suggested combining the two types of chord practice. I have been secretly doing that anyway, and I feel like I’m getting good quality chord repetition that way.

2 Likes

I‘m glad, that Nitsuj added this video as I‘m having the same problem and also wondered, whether the OMCs were the right tool to fix it. Therefore, I also began to focus more on the quality than the quantity of my chord changes. Good to see, that this is now also recommended in the lessons :grinning:.

1 Like

8 posts were split to a new topic: I have an issue with the underneath of index finger touching the neck

I am not able to watch the video on the website (Edge). I tried this on Chrome as well, still no luck.

1 Like

Hi Hamidreza, @hr_soli
Here in the Netherlands it works with 2 browsers and also with chrome. Are you having trouble with more videos at the moment?
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hello to you @roger_holland !
I’ve never had any problem with other lessons in this grade. This is the only video lesson that I have trouble trying to watch.
Could you please provide me with the Youtube link of the video lesson? That could help a lot.

1 Like

Hi @hr_soli ,
That seemed like a good option to me too but I can’t find this lesson on you-tube, whatever I type in the full text or any word whatever …not this lesson…
@Richard_close2u do you have a solution?
Greetings…

2 Likes

@hr_soli - issue reported.
Cheers
Richard

1 Like

Hello there!

A few students who use VPN or AdBlockers are experiencing issues with our Vimeo videos. If that’s the case, please use an Incognito Window to access the courses, as that is a Vimeo limitation that we cannot change. :frowning:

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Laryne

4 Likes

Thank you both, @roger_holland @roger_holland!
I just saw the comment that @larynejg has left, and found out that you guys are using a different video hosting platform for this video lesson.
Now that I’m checking, I see that I’m not able to watch any videos in the Nitsuj modules either.
The Vimeo thing doesn’t seem to be working in my country (Iran).

1 Like

Yes, those aren’t on YouTube by Vimeo. :frowning: I’ll add to our backlog to move them over to YT, but that’s unlikely to be done in the next few months. Sorry!

2 Likes

Hi!

Similar symptom, different root cause and solution:

I was not able to play vimeo videos in Firefox on my linux machine (Firefox on Windows no problem).
The solution for me was to install the “ffmpeg” multimedia framework.
On openSUSE specificly I needed the packman version.

I know, this is a very specific use case, but nevertheless I hope this information will help someone.

Franz

1 Like

I loved the recommendation in this video to focus on more quality chord changes rather than speed. While I loved working my chord changes up to 60 - 80 changes/min. the quality wasn’t great which is noticeable in my song practice especially with changes to & from the C chord. Focusing on quality changes slowed down my changes to 30 - 40 changes/min. but helps me significantly improve the quality of the chords as well as training my hand to form the chords better. Slow down to speed up is my motto for these.

1 Like

It’s good you picked up on this. :grinning:

There’s an old saying “You play like you practice.” So if you practice quick sloppy chord changes you will play quick sloppy chord.
Remember what Justin says
“Practice Makes Permanent”

4 Likes