Could these picks be fake?

I’ve just received a pack of Dunlop tortex orange .60 jazz tip picks from Amazon. After playing with one for about 10 minutes the printing has smudged from the pick and is all over my thumb and index finger.
The little packet and the pick itself look and feel genuine enough. Normally the ink printing on these picks just gradually wears away.

1 Like

Hi Gordon, I would be in touch with Amazon. One never knows these days if things are genuine or otherwise. Ask for a replacement Amazon are good for returns. :smiley:

1 Like

They certainly look kosher. I have had the standard shape/size Tortek for and number of years and none have lost the print. The most abused has faded colour wise but the graphics are still pretty sharp. I’ve also just ordered some new ones from Thomann in thicker sizes. It will be interesting if this purchase offers a similar fate to yours. I’ll let you know. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Gordon,
I have both .50s and .60s that I bought from my local shop not too long ago. They are smudging, but differently than yours. They also look a bit different in that they show the thickness on the pick.
Also, if you look at Dunlop’s website, it appears the picks shown there look different. I think you might have counterfeits, or at least very old ones. https://www.jimdunlop.com/products/guitar-picks/
EDITED TO ADD: Sorry, didn’t realize yours are quite different from mine. Poking around a bit more on the Dunlop site indicates perhaps the picks you have are just older versions…the 4th image on the product page shows the pick with the printing that you have. Current Tortex III

Picks

1 Like

I’ve just downloaded a bar code scanner to my phone and scanned the bar code on the packet. It comes up with Dunlop picks of the correct size and type. Unless fakers can fake bar codes the picks would appear to be genuine. I’ll just have to wash my hands more often. :grinning:

I usually like to support my local guitar shop but that involves a drive into town, paying for parking and he charges £1 for a single pick. The ones from Amazon work out at just under 50p each. I ordered them yesterday afternoon and they arrived this morning along with a replacement battery for my guitar tuner and a replacement light bulb for the oven.
Amazon come in for a lot of stick due to their employment practices and tax avoidance but it is very convenient. :grinning:

I know, I know. I’ll not say that when the local shop closes down!

They don’t look right to me Gordon. Aside the smudging, which I’ve never had, the text on that looks wrong also. The ones I have are the same as Judi has posted. Is there texture to the writing and tortoise logo on the pick?

1 Like

@judi
Hi Judi. Yours are the standard ones. The ones I bought are the jazz picks which have a sharper point. They have the thickness number on the other side from my photo.

Yes, sorry, just updated my post.

1 Like

Gordon, I have been using this one for about 6 weeks now and it’s still looking pretty pristine.

1 Like

Thats impressive Stefan. Mine usually disappear before that and then turn up again weeks later! :joy:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: Why, thank you. My last one I’d been using for about 12 months, then a guy in my local PMT asked if I had a pick he could borrow, so I handed it over to him and I said he could keep it. I miss my pick. :smiley:

1 Like

Now I’m not so confident. This is the pick an hour or so later.

are you holding the pick too tightly? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Current research in Oxbridge suggests, that the imbibing of certain liquors can induce the body to produce a substance called Celticusacidicus found in some Highland beverages. Studies have shown this has can have an adverse interaction with some printing material. Readers of conventional books have reported secretions of Celticusacidicus, commonly found in the fingers and hand, to remove sections of printed pages and extreme cases erasing the paper pages themselves. Such is the interest in the phenonium, that government agencies actively employ people who have symptoms of Celticusacidicusitus to read sensitive documents, as the secretions are more effective than traditional forms of redaction.
Although research is in a very early stage, it is recommended that for each dram of beverage a litre of water should be added. Extensive research is being undertaken to establish which ratio is an acceptable level to nullify the negative effects. The Nevian Callantine research group are leading figures in this potential new industry. The consortium encourages adding copious amounts of spring water to the renowned whisky company’ s 30 Year Old Blend for the most advantageous test results.

On the other hand they may just be dodgy knock offs. Cushty !

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Yesterday I ordered 2 packs of those Dunlop Tortex 0.50 and 0.60 and 1 pack of 0.88 dunlopnylon maxgrib. From the local shop. Will be interesting what I get. :slight_smile: Should be here tomorrow. Will report back, when I have tested them a bit.

1 Like

The Elephant is a graceful bird it hops from twig to twig as it perches in the rhubarb trees whistling like a pig!
:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: :dash::dash::dash::dash:

2 Likes

Could just be from the covid supply chain problems and they had to use a different ink.

Dave

2 Likes

Well Toby, firstly can I thank you for your obvious concern and sympathy over my pick issue.
I normally soak my picks in an expensive and fine single malt whisky. This enables the perfect blend of pick flexibility and accuracy. When the resulting aromatic fumes are inhaled, a mellow vocal that blends perfectly with the guitar is guaranteed. There will also be hints of vanilla and honey.

On this occasion I was keen to use my new picks to complete the song that Eric (you know who I mean) and I were writing for his latest album. I’d already ignored Keef who’d suggested that I simply inhale the ink from the pick and play a minor pent in A over Eric’s frankly very poor lead solo.

I’m upset that my cry for help on this clearly important issue has met with replies that are quite frankly disappointing and really not what I would have expected from my Community ‘friends’. So much so that I am seriously considering consigning the entire 12 pack of picks to the wheelie bin despite the rather large £5.80 investment.

1 Like

Now there is your problem, why opt for an expensive single malt, when this example allows you to instantly empty your wallet. Cheap at half the price whisky. only £365 per 70cl bottle of your shinny English coinage ! Last Ballantine Blend I bought in SuperU was 15euros a litre! The world has gone mad.

I just opened my birthday present of a pack of Orange .60 Tortex and Green .88, package looks pretty similar to yours but not the Jaz III branding. I’ll give them a test ride and give you some serious feedback Despite my tongue in check answer it is odd that your picks have behaved in the way you described, The only Jaz III I have at the moment, are the Max Grip style that do not have size or printed effigies on them. As I said my old Tortex have been around a while and the text in now way melts. All very bizarre !

1 Like