Counting Rhythms

The more I tap on Wind of Change, which is in 4/4, the more it seems like thereā€™s a bar of only 2/4ā€¦just at the beginning before the second whistled instrumental partā€¦

How is it possible if the song is clearly in 4/4?!

Iā€™m sure Iā€™m tapping correctly!

:sob::sob::sob: Iā€™m getting crazyā€¦

Can we have a 2/4 bar in a 4/4 song?

1 Like

Yes. The time signature can change. Itā€™s one way of making things a bit more interesting and less predictable to the listener. I just had a quick look at the sheet music for wind of change and you are not crazy :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Youā€™re not going crazy there is 1 bar of 2/4 that repeats a few time throughout the song.

1 Like

Arghhh :triumph::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: how to waste my guitar timeā€¦getting crazy and not trusting my ear! And too proud to check a musicsheetā€¦:zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face: why am I so childish!?

Thanks James, youā€™re very kindā€¦at least Iā€™m not crazy :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank youā€¦I need to develop the skill of confidence and trust my ears!

3 Likes

I think Father and son by Cat Stevenā€™s changes to 2/4 a couple of times. So you are very sane and on the button Silvia.

1 Like

Yep, changing time signatures within the same piece of music is probably more common than you would expect, especially in jazz and progressive rock.

Thanks for the empathy Stefanā€¦now I think I should be super aware of where the beats are as I tapped for more than half an hour :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil: ā€¦letā€™s see the glass as half full :joy:

1 Like

Silvia, the glass is way more than half fullā€¦you:

• realized your ear was telling something different from your preconceptions
  • only ā€œwastedā€ 30 minutes before coming here to confirm that your ear is correct, and you can trust it

Congrats!

1 Like

I recommend you watch this video. Ben is brilliant, and this is more fun than a lot of other videos on the subject. Of course you can use varied rhythms in a song. Like when a line is too long. Or longer than the others.

3 Likes

Thank you! ā€¦that is true! Thereā€™s something to be happy with :blush:

Thanks! Iā€™ll check it out :blush:

Thatā€™s a good link, but pretty advanced for beginner/intermediate students. Itā€™s only at the end of the video that I thought he clearly explained how to say 1/4 note rhythms (Ta Ta Ta Ta) and 1/8 note rhythms ( Ta ka Ta ka Ta ka Ta ka).

But I was really fascinated by the way he clapped! Seemed way more flowing and musical than the way Iā€™ve been doing it. And why does he sometimes clap with the back of his hand? Is that part of the technique, or just being expressive?

Iā€™ve experimented with rhythmic solfages over the years, because I always struggled with the western counting approach - counting seemed to hurt my rhythm more often than help it.

But I never found anything online or in books that taught rhythmic solfage from the ground up for western music. Any suggestions?

You know, now that you mention it, I realize I always save good lessons, even if theyā€™re way above my head. I usually know if the way the stuff is explained will work for me. I just revisit every now and then. Ben is definitely clapping musically, the syllables help it sound so musical. I admire his freedom with music, and heā€™s written some beautiful stuff, but I have been having an issue with his new animations. They scare me. If I wanted to learn rhythmic solfage Iā€™d start by asking Ben for a lesson. Counting also makes me seasick.

1 Like

This piqued my interest, so I checked out some more of his videos. Very weird, creative stuff - kind of a Tim and Eric Awsome Show aesthetic. Particularly liked the How Not to Hate your voice video, and will probably try some of those exercises.

But why scary?

I know itā€™s odd. The duck lips and claymation style remind me of Gumby, that old animation figure who always scared me when I was little. Love Grommit and company but generally feel no good vibe from claymation. Glad you explored what Ben has to offer. Heā€™s a good guy, and won some Steve Vai competition like eight years ago. Very talented player.

1 Like

Would Grommit & company include Shaun the Sheep? Iā€™m not a particular fan of claymation either but Shaun is my favorite! The way he fools the farmerā€¦ :rofl:

Tod