Country-lovin' monk

Hi! I’m Brother Benedict Joseph, I’m a Benedictine monk in the north of Scotland, but am American by birth. After having a “conversion experience” last year from watching the country music documentary by Ken Burns, and listening to/discovering acoustic guitar country songs, I decided to give the guitar a try again, after putting it down 20 years ago. Re-learning with Justin is a heady experience. I’m much better now after 6 months with Justin than I was after two years of private lessons. I’m just now discovering the community aspect of this site today. Didn’t really know how to use it until today, but I’m glad I did! Howdy to you all, and I look forward to sharing the journey with you!

8 Likes

Welcome!

Had a similar experience WRT private lessons.

Many years of lessons, on and off, with multiple teachers. Progress was painfully slow and frustrating…no matter how hard I worked. Net result… I would put down the guitar for years at a time.

One year of Justin Guitar, and I’m playing almost every day, making steady progress, and having fun!

Seems to be a fairly common experience around here.

good to hear. And it’s nice to feel not so alone, as I’m learning by myself in a monastery in the middle of nowhere!

I’m not religious myself, but if I were, I’m sure I’d thank God for the Internet…for the guitar instruction, at least. :wink:

Maybe some of the Brothers will be inspired by your example and take it up as well.

1 Like

Welcome Benedict you have found a wonderful asset to add to your guitar journey.
Make full use of the wealth of knowledge and experience here and a community like no other in the guitar world.
:sunglasses:

Hello Benedict and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

There are quite a few people who make that statement. Justin’s enthusiasm is so infection and you just get the sense of him loving what he is doing and that rubs off on you and you just keep coming back for more.

Hi Brother Benedict Joseph and welcome :smiley:

Folk from all corners of the world and all walks of life in our community.
Are you sure your ‘country conversion’ is not in part a case of absence making the heart grow fonder? :wink:
I know I only became interested in Irish, Danish and Swiss music when I emigrated to England and felt greater distance to those places. Very enjoyable though.
The Benedictines played a prominent part in my growing up-
I was an altar server from the age of 14 to 20 at Einsiedeln Abbey in Switzerland where I boarded at the school. Loads of Gregorian chant- laudes, vespers etc.
Looking forward to hearing you play that guitar someday.
Rock on!
Or as ‘Benny’ might say:
Ora et labora! :laughing:

Welcome brother Benedict Joseph!!

You have found the right place.
i am really looking forward to see you play a country song on your guitar :+1:

Laudetur, Brother, and welcome to the community :slight_smile:

Hello Brother Benedict, welcome to the community. I’m sure there’s a fascinating back story to you moving from the US to Scotland and a monastery. You’ll find friendship, encouragement and positive vibes here. :slight_smile:

Welcome to this great community mate.
You’re certainly among friends here, many who have also seen great progress by applying Justins teaching.
Any questions or doubts, just ask away. We’re all here enjoyin the journey, helpin each other out.
Looking forward to your first country tune, when you’re ready.
All the best.

Cheers,
Shane

Thanks for all the great support! I don’t know if I’ll ever have the courage to post myself on here doing a country song, and wouldn’t know how to do it even if I did find the courage to do so. But I sure am glad to be here with y’all

Yeah, I’m sure my conversion wasn’t home sickness, since I was living in a monastery in Massachusetts at the time! :crazy_face: I think it was just God waking me up to a music that talks about real life and emotions (in general). Country music is, after all, just three chords and the truth!

3 Likes

Haha, I can’t argue with that :laughing:

Amen, Brother!
It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but if you’re ok with the your country music on the alt side and are interested in other folks’ perception of Christianity, this is pure gold.
All my favourite country artists in a compelling documentary
I’ve got tickets to see Jim White in June :smiley:

Thanks, Brian! I am not close-minded when it comes to religion and faith, so thanks for the suggestion. I’ll take a gander at it shortly

1 Like

Great photo… that’s a Franciscan friar. They tend to cut loose more often than us Benedictines do

Thanks, took it a few years back. I’d never seen a monk rockin’ a strat before!