Cover of Sting's Fieldsof Gold

I heard a beautiful version of this song by the Northwest Sound men’s choir a few weeks ago, which inspired me to attempt a guitar-picked version.

10 Likes

That was great, Jay! Beautifully played and sung! Really enjoyed it :clap: :star_struck:

1 Like

That was excellent Jay!

1 Like

Well done, Jay! Enjoyed the listen a lot, you’ve sung and played really nice, maybe slightly faster than Sting does. Also, you brought something of yourself into it and made it your own. :clap:

1 Like

Very well done! I too like that you set your own pace & vocally make this song “yours”! If you haven’t heard Eva Cassidy’s version, check it out… so beautifully done & so sad she was gone so young. I have really enjoyed your videos, both the covers & your originals! Keep it up, Jay!

1 Like

Hello Jay, I’m always looking forward to your performances and you never disappoint :smiley:. Such fantastic finger picking :star_struck:. I really hope, that somedays I’ll be able to play as beautifully as you do :blush:.
Great vox, too :+1::clap:.
Thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful song :hugs:.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this Jay, really enjoyed it. What is the guitar you are playing?

1 Like

Thank you, Nicole. Just wanted to say that you will be able to pick if you put in the time. I probably practiced this song a hundred times before getting a version I was happy with. I tend to make guitar mistakes when concentrating on voice and lyrics, and I forget lyrics when thinking about guitar picking. It takes a lot of effort for me to put them together.

1 Like

Hi Malz. Thank you. The guitar is a Taylor Grand Concert with mahogany top. I like the rich base sound the mahogany allows me to get picking with it. I also liked the smaller body, although, now having played for a few years with it, I’m thinking a larger body might help with maintaining a better vertical orientation of the fretboard relative to my hands. Also thinking it would be nice to have a brighter sounding option for some music. I’m probably just developing guitar lust and coming up with rationalizations for another purchase. :smirk:

1 Like

Hi Jay, I can so much relate to this. I’m playing and singing some (few) songs with picked verses, and it’s so hard to concentrate on both parts.
And yes, you’re absolutely right, it’s all about practice, and practice, and practice. I thank you very much for stating, that it’s the same for you, too :hugs:.

1 Like

Great performance and great recording too. How do you work out the chords and finger picking pattern? Just wondering. I need tabs and videos to figure out a song.

1 Like

Thank you, Mike. I started with the chords on Fields of Gold and then began working out a picking pattern. It was not as straightforward on this song as it is with many.

A beautiful cover :clap: wonderful vocals and skilful finger picking, great stuff :v:

1 Like

Beautiful :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What a fantastic version. Loved it.

1 Like