Crazy Man Michael

Here is my first AVOYP contribution - Crazy Man Michael (Richard Thompson/Fairport convention cover)
The guitar is a Guild 12 string which I think works really nice for this.

Recording is audio only since I’m still working on getting my mics routed properly into OBS

8 Likes

I used to be a regular at Cropredy, seen them play this live many times. Great cover, really well played and sung! That 12 string really does work well on this.

1 Like

Really enjoyed that Ricky, not listened to Fairport for an eternity. Vocals were spot on for this style of song and that 12 string really shined through - although I would have loved to have had it just a touch higher in the mix. Lovely cover all the same.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVOYP Ricky. What a way to start. I hope to see the Guild 12 in action again soon.
:slight_smile:
Mrs C is quite a fan of Fairport and we’re going to see them again at the end of February. We saw Richard and Linda Thompson’s son (Teddy) last week.

1 Like

I just love Fairport :smiley:

Nice Avoyp

1 Like

Oh wow Ricky…it’s so beautiful! I don’t know the song nor the band…is it traditional folk music? If it is from which country or region? I love it…and you can fingerpick so fast :heart_eyes: I’m still not there!

1 Like

Ricky

Great choice of song to star your AVOYP collection. I thought you played really well (particularly on a 12 string): you probably could play a little slower allowing the song, and yourself, more room to breathe (Sandy Denny’s version is an example of a slower take).

Well done, Looking forward to more.

Brian

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I just recently got a Scarlett for recording, and I’m still at the low end of the learning curve on achieving a good balance between guitar and vocals

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVoYP. The 12 string sounds great for this type of song.

1 Like

Fairport Convention is an English folk-rock band that started in the late 60s. The song was written by Richard Thompson and Dave Swarbrick, so it’s original to them, even though it was written with a traditional feel.
Fairport still plays, and their lineup has changed a lot as people left and joined over the years. Richard Thompson left in the early 70’s, and has done a lot of great stuff first with his (now ex-) wife, and then solo or with his backing band.

Cropredy - mentioned up the thread- is the annual music festival that they host, and has been running 40+ years

Thanks for the feedback, that’s really helpful.
Listening back to it, you are probably right. Nothing like nervous energy to speed you up.

Hi Ricky,

that one was new to me, and I enjoyed the listen a lot! Loved the sound of your 12 string, that suited the song very well. Picking and singing sounded good to me. So all in all, this was a great AVOYP debut performance! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Ricky,

That was great, and a fantastic sound singing and playing :sunglasses: :partying_face: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And I would settle for a lot less in exchange for video view :smiley:

Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Loved it. Plus the guitar tone is amazing.

1 Like

The British folk rock corner of the Justin community is gathering momentum
Yay!
Nice version Ricky

1 Like

That was great Ricky, congratulations on your first recording here. Picking patern and singing at the same time with good rhythm throughout is really tricky and you did excellent job.

1 Like

New one for me Ricky but a great opening post. Very nice playing.

1 Like