Crusty sends greetings from Maine, USA, the Pine Tree State

Several decades ago I got a Sigma DM3 acoustic (established in 1970 and affiliated with Martin, if that gives it more gravitas). Played it on and off for years, learned basic chords (even an F barre!) , but my playing could best be described as “episodic”. Fast forward to 2004: rummaging around in the attic looking for God-knows-what and…hey, my old guitar! I should put some new strings on it! So I did. It sounded good. Something was rekindled. I started playing again and was fortunate enough to watch a couple of Justin’s videos. Signed up. Then I thought, Justin says it’s easier to learn on an electric guitar because the strings are thinner and the action is lower. Made sense to me. So I waited until my wife was in Germany visiting my daughter and grandchildren and bought a PRS Starla. Oh, man, what a beautiful instrument! I know you’re not supposed to acquire gear as a substitute for real practice and study, but… And as my wife tells everybody, “He got a humidifier. It’s not for us, it’s for his guitar.”

6 Likes

Hi Dana

Great to hear from you. We had the chance to visit New England back in 2016 for our son’s wedding, it was just like being on a movie set with all the amazing scenery.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like

Hi Dana,
Welcome ,and i wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hello Dana / Crusty and welcome to the community. Finding Justin and the JustinGuitar website full of lessons is a rich blessing. You’ll find only positivity and support and encouragement as you learn here in the community. :slight_smile:

Welcome Dana, inspired decision to get some new strings on the acoustic, good work!

I disagree though, of course new gear makes us better, because it makes us want to practice more :wink:

All the best and have fun!

1 Like

Welcome Dana. Have fun with the PRS.

Greetings from a fellow Maineiac. What part of the state do you hang out in? I’m located in the Bangor area.

Like you, I first ‘learned’ to play over 50 yrs ago when I was in the military in Alaska (really not much to do in Alaska if you’re not a resident and military personal do attain resident status until after they have been in state for a year. Except drink and learn to play the guitar). My roomie taught me the basics and I bought a 12-string acoustic from another friend, then hid in my room until I could play something reconizable (which I was told was a matter of opinion). I continued to plug along for a while after leaving the service then dropped it for a number of years.

Now that I’m retired and I find I have some time on my hands I decided to cross something off my bucket list and bought a Fender Squire Strat and get back in the game. The biggest thing I have discovered is, not how much I have forgotten, but how much my physical ability has deteriorated. I find myself saying (a lot) ‘I used to be able to do that’. And spending a lot of time finding work-arounds for things that used to be easy.

Oh well. As I said I have time on my hands now and I’m not going anywhere right off so I’ll just keep plugging along.

Good luck and stay safe.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,
Good to hear from you. I’m in the Augusta area, but when my daughter was a Black Bear I got up to Orono quite a bit. Now my oldest grandson is at UMaine, too. I understand that allowances must be made for “physical challenges”. I don’t have the use of my ring finger on my fretting hand, but Justin’s lessons are quite good about offering alternatives.
What are you playing on the Strat? Currently I’m liking the I IV V blues. (I do have headphones so no one else has to be subjected to my playing.)
Dana

Hey Dana,

Our #2 granddaughter just graduated from UMO and our youngest granddaughter and grandson are currently enrolled there. So I’m well acquainted with the place.

I am basically using Justin’s program as a refresher and help when I need to come up with work-arounds.

I bought a Fender Mustang Micro headphone amp to use with the Strat. It has several advantages over the headphone jack on your amp. 1. It’s battery powered/USB rechargeable and connects directly to the guitar so you can use it anywhere. 2. It can emulate 12 different amp models and 12 different effects with each amp as well as several tweeks you can apply to each config. Not a bad deal for 100 bucks.

I am naturally left-handed but I have always played as a righty. I want to become a proficient lead so that’s what I concentrate most on the Strat. And that’s where I have the most problems with my fingers, especially with the note changes if they aren’t fairly close together. I just don’t to have seem to have the spread and nimbleness I had in my youth. As they say, It’s too bad that youth is wasted on the young, HA.

I have quite a list that I would eventually like to master from Clapton, ELO, Fleetwood-Mack, the Eagles I can’t Tell You Why, Natlie Merchant - Wonder, 10,000 Maniacs Because the Night, Hank Marvin etc.

That should be enuff to keep me off the streets for a while.

Keep the Faith (and anything else you get your hands on) -be safe.

Jeff

That Fender Mustang Micro sounds sweet. I have a Boss Katana Air with a Bluetooth transmitter that allows me freedom to wander around the house (assuming my wife is not home). Otherwise I’m tethered to headphones. Or, alternately, she’s in her craft room with the door closed.

I have heard about the BKA but have never experienced one. That’s the only downside to the FMM - no bluetooth connection. I often get the earbud leads caught on something and pulled out of my ear(s). Maybe someday, eh.

Keep in touch.

Dana, Welcome to the community and greetings from North Carolina, USA, the other Pine Tree state (or at least Pine is officially the NC state tree). I had a Sigma DM3 for many years until I upgraded to a mid priced Martin. I’ve looked at all the PRS guitars but haven’t decided which to get to upgrade my epiphone LP. If I remember the PRS Starla had a nice Gretsch type tone vibe in the pickups. It is fun to play both acoustic and electric so enjoy all your gear and have fun on this site.

Thanks! My son went to Brevard, so I’ve been down in your neck of the woods. I seem to remember these torrential, but transitory rain showers in the afternoons in the Smokeys. Take shelter for a few minutes and then…sunshine!
The Starla has the twin splittable humbuckers. Can get a much wider range of sounds than I know how to control. And, full disclosure: I really think the bird fret inlays are cool. The guitar was immaculate. You could do worse if you decide to get one.
Unfortunately, the acoustic is not getting as much attention lately.
Hope your guitar journey is progressing productively.
Dana

1 Like

Hello and welcome Dana. :slight_smile:

I like how you waited until your wife was out of the country before you bought yourself a new guitar.

1 Like

Welcome Dana! The right gear+ practice and study = tons of joy! :blush::wink::sweat_smile:

She was surprisingly receptive to the purchase, even when I muttered something incomprehensible under my breath when she asked how much it cost.

2 Likes

Welcome Dana

:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: We must all be the same.

1 Like

Hi Dana welcome to the community. Yes, it was very fortunate that when you did find the guitar again, Justin lessons were already available so you could do the best of the new opportunity you were having. I think that the fact you were already playing the acoustic guitar and enjoying it helped to get a good reception of the purchase of the electric. Have fun.

1 Like

Thanks, Andrés.
The PRS is getting all the attention currently, so the acoustic looks a little forlorn. I can get a good way down the rabbit hole with an E-shape barre chord and my amp with lots of dials and buttons. But Justin brings me back to reality and more productive, structured practice.
Enjoy!

2 Likes