Curious what you’re working on lately

Decided to learn The Crow, the Owl and the Dove. So far, work in progress (just the intro done slowly): Stream Work in progress by GNS1991 | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Sounds like you’re off to a great start well done

I try to play every day but my shift now doesnt always allow this so practise when i can. I dont have a structure for practise as such. Of i am learning a new song or solo i start either learning the next bit or refining the bit i worked on last time. Once i have worked on this, i then revert to my playlist 1 where i have about 18 songs i can play reasonably well and shuffle through this for as long as i can. Good to end practise with something you can play and enjoy

1 Like

Well, purchased my accoustic guitar on May 13 so a few days shy of 4 weeks. Grade 1 module 4 completed. A,D and E major and minor chords, anchor finger work, chord perfect work, one minute changes, strumming patterns and a few songs. Practice every day for about 45 minutes. I think I’m doing well and I’m getting better. Hope everyone else is doing the same! Cheers!

2 Likes

You’re doing fantastic and have a great plan. Keep it up :sunglasses:

1 Like

A couple of weeks ago I played sort of a mini concert for friends with about 20 songs from my repertoire. The problem is I always looked at my notes and gave a hard time memorizing the lyrics and chords. Some pros have said they use a tablet on stage so it’s not completely frowned upon. On the other hand Justin mentioned you don’t always want to pull out a song book at a party lol. I guess we do what we can and work on improving right? Hope you gave a good day- sounds like you have a solid plan.

2 Likes

Decided it’s time to practice something more challenging than just strum out the entire song to a familiar rhythm and/or finger picking pattern that I cooked up in my head. So, today’s wrote down the progression (basically, intro riff, main riff, chorus and outro riff) for Paint it Black by Rolling Stones. Let’s see what I will be able to achieve by next Friday or so.

I feel I’ve been stuck in a rut (besides having been busier than usual in the past few months), so I decided to continue with music theory and checking out other patterns of the major & pentatonic minor scales as well as getting a taste of other scales.

It’s often said that we shouldn’t learn scales for the sake of only learning them, but I think as long as we’re driven by curiosity there’s nothing wrong with it. Also, when I play along to certain songs using portions of the above 2 scales, sometimes neither of them seems to really fit, so I’d like to expand my “scalar” consciousness and find out more about the melodic possibilities in non-major scales.

The first one I checked out was the harmonic minor scale, mostly because it had the least information provided over on the website. I read the Wikipedia article about it which has the scale formula and tried to find a comfortable fingering for it - turns out I “discovered” pattern 1 of this scale. After a bit of practice (alternating this one with the major scale of the same root note) and noodling I realized that omitting degrees 1 and 4 gives me the riff to Politican by Cream which I “deciphered” a few weeks ago, before knowing what this scale actually sounded like. Call that a welcome surprise.

So I think I’ll follow the strategy of spending some time on a given scale by checking the formula, looking for a comfortable fingering, then do the related lesson on the website and see how much of it I can use in practice.

2 Likes

After looking up some chords for ‘Hallelujah’ on UG, and experimenting blindly with finger style, I came to a conclusion that I was not that far off with the picking structure of the song :joy: