D chord fingering

I started years ago then quit. I am starting back. I learned the D chord with fingers 1 and 2 reversed. It would be harder to try and overcome the finger memory. Will this cause a problem later on?

You’ll have to get used to playing some chords with different fingering anyhow.

But possibly, with embellishments and slash chords etc it might?

1 Like

Hi Rick @Malexovics, and welcome to the community! I’m a Grade 3 beginner, who also learned most open chord shapes long ago. Based on my experience, I’d suggest learning the D fingering as Justin presents it, even if it makes you crazy for a day or two. You’ll need this fingering as you learn new techniques as soon as Grade 2! I had also learned the A chord with a different fingering than Justin presents…I now know three different fingerings, and have seen uses for them all.

Back to the D chord: I’m a bit curious: is there any chance you’re thinking of the Dminor chord using that fingering, and not Dmajor? (Dmin has the first finger on the first string first fret, second finger on the third string second fret, third finger on the second string third fret.)

If you have a minute, consider heading over here and telling us a bit about yourself and what inspired your guitar journey! Hope to see you around.

There’s at least one thing where your fingering may cause trouble - anchor / pivot / guide finger when changing to A and E chords.

Justin teaches the D - and A! - chord fingerings so you can keep one finger down for all three chords. This makes it much easier to make chord changes quickly for the beginner songs that use D, A, and E chords…which is an absolutely fundamental skill for guitar playing!

Justin talks about this in one of the early lessons, though I don’t remember which one.

If you can already play songs with these chords - in time, at tempo - it’s probably not a big concern.

But if you can’t, it will be better in the long run to learn using Justin’s fingerings.

I’d say don’t worry about it unless / until it becomes a problem. I started by fingering the A chord the way justin teaches beginners and now do it completely different. If it’s bothering you, by all means change it but as justin often says “there are no rules”