Dan's Learning Log

I also find mini F harder than F.

It is worth learning. Justin calls it a “cheat”, but it’s not really. Plenty of songs use the mini F in their own right.

2 Likes

Grade 2 - Module 9

I have decided to pass myself onto Module 10. I found Module 9 rather easy, even the “dreaded” F Barre Chord. I found the “mini” F to be the troublesome chord. I think I can count on one hand how many times I’ve got all the strings to ring out clear on the “mini” F.

As before, my prior playing experience has proven helpful on many of the lessons. The C major scale was super easy. I didn’t have much trouble with the pinky exercises, the F chord cheats (save the “mini” F) or the riff. I had some trouble with my song choice (House of the Rising Sun) until I sat down and decoded the chord progression. It didn’t make sense until I wrote it down myself and saw the patterns and where they are played.

I had a “three steps forward, two steps back” couple of days (which is detailed above) but I worked through it. Honestly, too much stuff going on at once. Lessons, songs, riffs, etc. I was trying to learn too many songs at once. I know a nice bunch of songs by heart (the chords anyway) and I can practice them anytime. No need to grind on them all at the same time. This is a process, not an event.

So here are the criteria to pass Module 9 and where I stand:

• You have memorized the F chord cheats - Not too tough. Playing the “mini” f is very hard, but the changes on the other F chords are over 40 cpm.
  • You play the C Major scale from memory - Memorized and I can play at well over 80 bpm
  • You explored the pinky workout - Done and my pinky is relatively tame and strong.
  • You had some fun with the Californication riff - Not too tough and can even changed between the chord shapes with some speed.
  • You added a song with an F chord to your repertoire - Learning House of the Rising Sun.
  • You’ve attempted the big F barre - I can play the F barre 80-90% of the time with all strings ringing out.

I see even more clearly how I want to approach these lessons. I’m sure some of it will be tough as I move through Grade 2 but I see it as foundation. I’m filling my tool box as I go, preparing for the day I become an intermediate player. I need to learn the basics and perfect some as I go. Other lessons will wait until I need them. Some tools may never get used. Maybe not the approach for everyone, but works for me.

However, I am eager to learn the stuff coming up. Soloing, the Blues, finger style, power chords, etc. I’m looking forward to acquiring the knowledge, the tools, so that I can begin using it all. I foresee a long consolidation before trying Grade 3 (and maybe let Justin catch up with new lessons). There’s just so much in Grade 2 that begs to be explored in greater detail.

1 Like

You continue to follow a sensible, disciplined approach, Dan.

Have fun in M10.

1 Like

Grade 2 - Module 10

Moving day again. Honestly, there’s not a lot of solid “You must do this” stuff to move on from Module 10. And, like in previous modules, my previous playing experience helped a lot. Like alternate picking the C major scale. I was doing that in Module 9 and not just up, down, up, down but natural economy picking. But I practiced the strict up,down and found it was messing me up more than anything.

The A barre chord was fairly easy because I used to play Highway to Hell and it uses that chord. The weak finger G was a bit of a challenge but I found songs where it made things easier. I had a lot of fun with the improvisation and I almost attempted to learn some new scales to improvise with but settled for improvising over longer backing tracks. The push strumming, however, was confusing at first but I figured it out.

Anyway, here’s the Module 10 criteria and how I did:

• You have memorized the Weak Finger G chord - Easy to learn, fairly easy to play.
  • You have memorized the mini A barre chord - Already knew how to play this but a bit rusty.
  • You’re able to play the C major scale using alternate picking - Again, was doing this before this module.
  • You’ve learned at least one song using the Weak Finger G chord - Didn’t like any of the suggested songs so I applied it to songs I’m working on and it makes some changes more economical.
  • You had some fun with La Bamba! - Yes, ti was fun!
  • Optional but useful: You’re able to use the Push strumming pattern in a song - Not in a song but practiced with some common chord changes.

So, on to Module 11. I just bought a used Fender CD-140s acoustic at Guitar Center for $150. It’s in near new condition save for some slight fretboard wear telling me it got used but was taken care of as well. Just in time for finger style. I really got it so I could practice songs and noodle without being tied to an amp, like in the back yard or out camping.

Module 11 looks like it’s got a lot of stuff to learn that I haven’t been exposed to so I might be longer, but I peeked at the criteria to move on and it’s very thin. still, finger style is brand new to me so this feels like learning to strum and change chords at the same time. Something that will take a bit of time and effort to master. Wish me luck!

1 Like

Happy NGD. Look forward to seeing some photos of it and hope it plays well for you in Module 11.

For push strumming I found Travis song Writing to Reach You a good one as also include the sus chords your about to learn in Module 11.

The key to me for module 11 was just to enjoy playing songs that use sus chords and a variety of fingerstyle songs.

For the Happy Birthday fingerstyle exercise the key is to do it in chunks :wink:

Enjoy module 11 and hope to hear you post some AVOYPs of what you have learned so far on your journey.

1 Like

Hi Dan, Good progress. I think what Justin talks about memorizing the chords is just being able to finger them in the fretboard without looking at the chord box diagram.

1 Like

Yeah, I just make sure I know the chord, not necessarily how to play it perfectly or change to it quickly. Depends on the chord, or course.

As for Module 11, like I suspected. Loads of stuff I’ve never been exposed to. It will likely take more than a week to digest all this and get it to a level sufficient to move on. And that F barre chord. Was easy enough to fret the strings but it’s super hard to do it fast or change to it.

1 Like

You keep on keeping on, ever onward, Dan. Good for you. Would love to hear you playing, to enjoy your progress through songs or riffs.

1 Like

Just finished my first practice in Module 11. I was right. Feels like I’m just starting out again. Between finger style and F chord, it’s rough.

1 Like

That’s guitar, life, I guess, Dan. I’m sure you’ll master the lessons and learnings of M11. Enjoy the process.

1 Like

Mini update:

Happy Birthday is kickin’ my you know what. Just can’t seem to make it stick in my mind. I know it will click eventually but… Anyway, keeping at it.

BTW, the F barre is still tough but did a OMC from D to F and I’m at 17 changes per minute. Nice to know I can do that many and I can gauge my progress now.

1 Like

I’m glad to know someone else is sharing my pain. Seems like Happy Birthday should be so simple but I keep forgetting to lift a finger or put one down. And the F Barre chord. Ugh! I’m trying OMC with C and F. I’m hovering around 22 changes in a minute. I’m sure success is near - we just need to stick with it.

Misery loves company. Sticking with it is all you can do. Failure is not an option. :grin:

Another quick update. The good news, my D to F chord changes went up to 28 per minute and only a few of those were duds. Most sounded decent to good. The bad news, still fighting through Happy Birthday. I played the 4:00 scheduled practice, the 10 minutes song practice and another 5-10 minutes beyond that today. Getting better but still forget a note here and there. Not my favorite tune but I’m learning to hate it. You gotta hate it to finish it.

I’m going out of town Friday thru Monday next week, so I’ve decided to just continue Module 11until then. More barre chord work isn’t a bad thing and getting some more finger style practice can’t hurt either. I’ll probably start Module 12 when I return. This is the hardest module yet for me so the extra time won’t hurt.

1 Like

Keep on keeping on, Dan … I’ve found some things beyond me at the the time in the course, skipped them, and came back to get it right later down the line.

1 Like

Thanks. And it’s good to be exposed to everything in the course but if one thing is holding you up or you’re not enjoying something, move on. If I wasn’t going out of town next week, I’d be moving on to Module 12 this weekend and I’d come back to finger style when I needed it. While I want to learn finger style to some degree, learning Happy Birthday is not my idea of fun. But I’m stubbornly going to learn that darn song just to say I did it. :angry:

2 Likes

Grade 2 - Module 11

Okay, I lied. I gave up on Happy Birthday. Could I have done it? Sure. Would I have if the song was interesting to me? Most certainly. But I didn’t see the point in hitting my head against that particular wall and letting it hold up continuing progress and advancement.

As far as the rest of the module, there’s a not a lot of criteria to pass. But I made progress in other areas. The F barre chord is up over 30 changes a minute, though they aren’t perfect yet. I’ve started learning a few more songs and I’m relearning Highway to Hell, including the solo. Actually came back pretty quickly but it needs polishing. Won’t say Sus chords are intuitive, but I can use them well enough even if sometimes my fingers want to do their own things. Finally, improvisation is fun and I’m exploring different keys, styles and scales.

So, on to the criteria:

• You learn one finger style song. - I’ve been working on House of the Rising Sun finger style.
  • Explore using sus chords in a song or riff. - Explored.
  • Learn Happy Birthday to a level where you could get through it at a birthday party! - Moved on without taking it to this level. Probably the first time I’ve moved on like this without satisfying a criteria but I did get exposed to finger style and discovered it can be pretty hard.

With that, I’m off to Module 12! It’s ull of familiar territory (I used to play Seek & Destroy, save the solo, at 120 bpm, for example) so it should go quickly. I’ll still practice for at least a week and pay particular attention to technique. My “metal” playing in the past might have sounded okay but the technique wasn’t pretty or efficient and often not strictly “right.”

Anyhow, here’s the Fender CA-140s acoustic I got a few weeks back. Retails for $200 but I got it in near new condition used for $150. Plays nice, stays in tune and has a good tone, solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides, Nato neck and rosewood fret board. It’s a pretty guitar and I really like it!

5 Likes

Well done on continued progress, Dan. Give it a few months and then perhaps come back for another tilt at Happy Birthday. I have found that specific practice tends to lead to growth in other areas, a happy side effect. And if still struggling park it again to return again later, and eventually you’ll get it down.

Like your updates Dan and sounds like you’re going along really nicely. Reading your song history before learning with Justin I think module 12 will be right up your street!

Lovely looking acoustic there too, I hope it serves you well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I doubt it. Not a fan. I would like to explore finger style, however. When I circle back in the future, I’ll find another song to have a go at.

1 Like