Dan's Learning Log

Okay, that sucked. I got back from my trip and pulled a muscle in my back. Been unable to sit for long without spasms so no guitar practice for almost two weeks :sob:

Back at it today, starting on Module 12. Back is feeling much better.

1 Like

Grade 2 - Module 12

And I’m moving on to Module 13. Module 12 was so much fun but I only practiced for three days. I played parts of Enter Sandman in my past playing days and it came back to me quickly. Mind you, not the fingering Justin uses in the intro but that’s pretty tough. Also worked on the other Enter Sandman riff Justin detailed and man, that is fun to play with the distortion dialed up.

Power chords also weren’t new and I can play them and slide down and across strings pretty well. As for the A minor pentatonic, I skipped ahead a bit and I was playing that and improvising with it for the past few weeks. It’s an easy scale to memorize. Over all, this module was all familiar to me and I feel I can comfortably move on.

Here’s the criteria and how I did:

• Memorize the notes on the thickest two strings - Kind of already knew them through osmosis.
  • Play R6 and R5 Power Chord shapes. Mute the unwanted strings effectively - I play them well and with confidence, string muting gets a little messy at times but that will come with further practice.
  • Explored Palm Muting - Already a fan…done.
  • Memorized the A Minor Pentatonic Scale - Yup, memorized.
  • Had a go at Metallica’s Enter Sandman riff - Had a go at both riffs, good fun!
  • Learned at least a couple of songs using Power Chords - Beyond exploring Enter Sandman, I began re-learning Seek & Destroy.

So that’s that. I just don’t see any reason continuing to practice these lessons since this module came easier to me that just about any other. This is the kind of stuff I used to play, among other genres, and it was the open chords, strumming, finger style, etc. that I never really explored. Now it’s on to the Blues. Been looking forward to this module for a long time.

Take care!

2 Likes

A little update. I’m finding Module 13 a lot more challenging. Other than the solo and improvisation, which I’ve been doing for a few weeks, the Blues is harder than it looks. Lot’s of fun though. I won’t lie, I’m ready to stop filling my head with new stuff and practice what I’ve learned for a few months.

1 Like

Ain’t that the truth. I find myself in that place where I know it when I hear it but just can’t seem to hear it in in my mind to play the licks and get the vibe.

Keep at it.

1 Like

As they say, practice, practice, practice.

The number of things I’ve tried that were simpler or easier than they looked is pretty small!

It’s worth putting the effort in as long as you’re enjoying at least some of it though.

1 Like

Grade 2 - Module 13

The Blues is tough but so much fun to play. I was having a bit of trouble at first but then it all kind of clicked. Not that I’m a Blues legend but I have been able to work through the practices and things are beginning to fall into place. I’ve met the criteria, so it’s time to move on, take what I’ve learned and apply it.

As for the module, the 7th chords are all pretty easy to memorize and most of them easy to play. B7 is probably my weakest but it’s not barre chord hard. The chord progressions aren’t all that tough to memorize or play, save for the new chord changes. Honestly, I can improvise a blues solo much better than play Justin’s solo, though I learned it and I can play it at 105 bpm, if I can stop myself from improvising. Finally, the shuffle riff is pretty simple but skipping strings and muting effectively makes it harder.

So, here’s the criteria:

• Memorized the main 7th Chord grips - Done!
  • Explored playing a Blues in G - Also done!
  • Explored playing a Blues in A - Again, done.
  • Had some fun with the set Beginner Blues Solo - Took a while for some reason but I’ve played it with a backing track at 105 bpm.
  • Tried your hand at improvising a Blues Solo - As Capt. America says, “I can do this all day.”
  • Learned the Basic Shuffle Groove - Learned but needs further refinement.

One more module and I’m done with grade two. I’m working on my plan for consolidation before I attempt Grade 3. As Justin suggests, I will spend a few months just practicing, learning songs and working on technique. Looking forward to it, actually.

Anyway, more on that after Module 14. Later!

5 Likes

Shuffle on, Dan … love your updates and celebrate the progress.

Looking forward to hearing you jam over the blues, first the beginner solo, and maybe then freestyling yourself. As you say it is great fun and I am optimistic that one day that bluesy vibe will click for me too :grin:

2 Likes

Feeling the rhythm comes naturally to me. I blessed that way. Maybe it’s just years of air guitar or maybe it’s genetic. Either way, it can be learned just like tone deaf musicians learn to feel the music through theory and practice. You’ll figure it out.

BTW, this video isn’t about only the Blues but the message still applies.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the video, Dan. I am so with him, except I don’t have the strengths he naturally had, and need to work hard on that too :laughing: But love that ‘keep stacking wins’ and my path and pace is my own.

1 Like

Everyone needs to hear stuff like this once in a while. I feel like I’m not advancing fast enough or that I should be able to do this or that. Then I find a video like this one telling me it’s okay. This is a journey with no real destination. Enjoy it.

1 Like

Grade 2 - Module 14

After watching all the Module 14 lessons, I’ve made an executive decision to not practice Module 14…or rather to incorporate some of it into my consolidation, at least temporarily. Specifically, the percussive hit and playing without looking. I feel like the slash chords are a learn them when you need them kinda thing and I already use my thumb to mute and play base notes. I don’t plan on jamming or recording anytime soon (maybe some video) so those can wait too.

Some might think (assuming anyone reads these :wink:) that I’ve gone too fast through the lessons. Maybe I have. I pushed through and neglected practicing songs and some of the basics in favor of learning new lessons. Whether that’s good, bad or indifferent, it’s where I am. I am, however, looking forward to putting to use everything I’ve learned. I probably have to take a few steps back while moving forward, but it is what it is.

So, what am I doing during consolidation? Well, I’m sure it will evolve over time but to begin with, I’m going back to basics. I want to get my open chords and changes on point, work on strumming and refine my pick handling. I’ve developed some bad habits, notably letting my index finger droop behind the pick to where it hits strings. I want to work that out.

So for now, here’s the plan (not including the M14 items):

• Warm Up - Scales, chords, exercises, songs, riffs, licks, etc.
    PFC - Open Chords - I want to get these to a point where I can play and change quickly and efficiently.
  • Barre Chords - Just continuing to work on these.
  • Chords for Songs - Practice specifically the chords and progressions for the songs I’m learning without worrying about the other parts or the strumming.
  • Work on Strumming - Beyond practicing patterns for the songs I’m learning, learn to strum more relaxed, more consistently and without thinking too much.
  • Pick Grip and Handling - As I said, I’ve developed a bad habit so I’m going back to basics to work that out.
  • Song Practice - Practice my “Set List.”

Set List:

• Wagon Wheel - Darius Rucker
  • Highway To Hell - AC/DC
  • Tennessee Whiskey - Chris Stapleton
  • More Than a Feeling - Boston
  • Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
  • Mannish Boy - Muddy Waters
  • Don’t Let Me Down - The Beatles
  • Hey, Hey What Can I Do? - Led Zeppelin
  • Seek & Destroy - Metallica
  • Pipeline - The Ventures

Obviously, some of these are simplified versions (say, More Than a Feeling) or don’t include the solo (like Seek & Destroy). Some I used to play and want to play again. Others are new to me. Lot’s of different techniques and skills in the list and plenty of variation in the genres. When I feel confident in some of the practice items, I’ll probably swap that time for improvisation and soloing practice.

Well, that’s it for now. I’ll be consolidating throughout the summer but I’ll update my progress and hopefully post a few videos of practices or songs. Should be fun to read back through all this in a few months and see how far I’ve come. And I hope a few folks get something from all this rambling, as well. Inspiration or maybe the knowledge they aren’t alone in their struggles.

Updates coming soon!

2 Likes

Congrats on getting through to the end of Grade 2! :smile: Glad you are enjoying it - your set list will be great and would love to hear any recordings you do of them (or others or improv). If you are on the fence on recording and sharing I would definitely encourage it! I have found the process of it extremely helpful to my playing - it doesn’t need to come out perfectly! :smiley: The practice approach and ideas you’ve set out all seem sensible to me and am sure will be useful ideas for others also. :smile:

1 Like

Thanks. I had a semi-successful YouTube channel for five years. I’m comfortable on camera. But getting that first video shot of me playing…well, I have to admit that it’s a bit disconcerting.

All sounds good, Dan. Have fun consolidating and I hope you will overcome those disconcerting feelings and share some recordings.

Well done Dan! I’m on the blues module now and having a blast with it. I could probably move on but having quite a ball with it at the moment so I’m hanging around on it for another couple of weeks.
Enjoy consolidation!

Well, it’s been a hot minute. I’ve been consolidating, practicing almost every day. I no longer follow a rigid practice schedule followed by song practice, though I did that until a couple of weeks ago. I decided to just practice songs and I could work on the details as I had fun. Well, even that got a bit tedious. I was grinding on two songs (Highway to Hell and More Than a Feeling), trying to get them just so, and I wasn’t making any real progress for some reason. But I did learn the songs.

So I started a third song for variety (Hey, Hey What Can I Do?). It was fun and instead of grinding on the first two songs, I was just playing through the parts, reinforcing what I’d learned. Not only do I know them by heart now, I got better at all of them. I was having more fun too. Hmm! I might have discovered something there.

In any case, I’ve added two more songs since I had that revelation and I’ve learned Hey, Hey What Can I Do by heart. Now I’m learning Back in Black by AC/DC and after watching Season 4 of Stranger Things I had to give Master of Puppets a go. So yeah, my “set list” has changed. Now, It looks more like this:

OLD

• Wagon Wheel - Not hard to learn and I play along with the song from time to time.
  • Tennessee Whiskey - Again, not hard to learn but I can’t play it well…Barre chord! Working on it here and there.
  • Highway to Hell - By heart, including the solo. Just honing it and working on the solo.
  • More Than a Feeling - Know a simplified version by heart, trying to learn the solo.
  • Wish You Were Here - I learned this song going through Grade 2, save the “solo” and I practice from time to time.
  • Hey, Hey What Can I Do? - Know it by heart and trying to perfect some of the quick chord changes and strumming patterns.
  • Pipeline - Know parts of it and I’ll probably commit the rest to memory in the coming weeks.

NEW

• Back In Black - Just learning this. The little lick in the main riff is tough.
  • Master of Puppets - Just learning this starting today. Committed the into riff to memory and I’m not half bad if playing at half speed.

I still want to go through the ear training and theory courses but I’ll probably wait until fall and do those instead of Grade 3. I see Justin is adding lessons all the time so, hopefully, at some point this fall or early winter they’ll all be there I can dive in. Until then, I’m just going to continue learning songs and having fun.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, Dan, all sounds good. Being sure to have fun along the way is so important. Congrats on the progress. Keep on rocking!

1 Like

Hi Dan, good you’re enjoying your grade 2 consolidation and you’re pushing the limits of your current skills and checking what else need to be worked on now or in the future.

1 Like

Just a little aside. I’ve been feeling bit down due to “lack of progress” but it hit me this morning that I’ve made tons of progress in the last six months. A new video lesson from " Song Notes by David Pots" popped up on YouTube and it just hit me. It’s “Southern Cross” by Crosby, Stills and Nash. Six months ago there was no way I could play a song like that, as simple as it is. Changing chords and strumming were hard for me on their own, much less performing those skills at the same time.

But now, I knew I could give it a go. So I did. Inside of fifteen minutes I was playing the chords, making the changes, strumming along with percussive hits, etc. Yeah, it’s clunky and I can’t quite keep time. Sure the Dsus4 messes me up a little. No, I can’t play the Bm Barre chord well enough to incorporate it. But it’s recognizable and with a little practice, I could play it reasonably well.

Same with “Master of Puppets.” I can’t play the intro at anything approaching the speed of James Hetfield but I can play it and I get a little faster every day. Despite my previous playing experience way back when, I couldn’t play these songs, or any others at all. I’m not great. My C chord is still iffy, I still miss strings when picking and I still lose the rhythm when strumming now and then. But I’m improving!

I just wanted to express this. It’s hard to see your progress sometimes if you don’t take the time to remember where you started. It becomes frustrating and tedious until you remember a few months back the things you do today seemed impossible. Then you remember this is supposed to be fun and you relax and just enjoy the journey knowing over time, you’ll get better. At least until you begin feeling frustrated again and have to go through this process for the hundredth time. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes