Dan's Learning Log

I know that feeling all to well, but we just have to keep going… Today i had a bad (guitar) day, tomorrow will be better again. Also nice that your giving MoP a chance! What inspired you to learn MoP?

I’m a big Metallica fan but the real reason is Stranger Things.

1 Like

You gotta wonder how many people Eddie Munson inspired to give Master of Puppets a go? I certainly would have if I felt like I was near the level to get it right. At the very least stranger things put Master of Puppets on my list.

I think that scene had a very big impact… I hope it leads to some long term new players… But i fear most of them will just give up when they realize how hard it is to play that song without any experience :rofl:

@ danmcmartin thought so already :metal:

Yeah, Master of Puppets is no joke. Still, it’s fun to run through the first couple of riffs now and then.

Anyway, Summer is unofficially over and I think I’m ready to learn some new stuff. I spent the summer learning and practicing songs, some I had on my “play list” and some I didn’t, and learning little bits here and there, riffs, licks, techniques, etc.

The songs I’ve been working on the most are:

Hey, Hey, what Can I Do
Mary Jane’s Last Dance (learning the solo, other extra bits)
Highway to Hell (including solo)
More Than a Feeling inlcuding main solo)
Wish You Were Here (including solo)

I know the chords to a number of songs as well. My barre chords are better, not great but better. Chords in general or stranger thought C to D to C is still a bit wonky. Strumming is coming along and more natural. I’ve learned a lot of new chords and techniques I use in songs or play just for fun. I won’t say I’m a better guitar player than I was when I played 10+ years back but I am more well-rounded and I’m coming along.

I went through the basic (free) theory courses and aced the final tests without even finishing the lessons. I already knew all that. Time to pay for the advanced courses.

My biggest challenge is speed. I learn a song, practice and hit a wall on speed. I think the problem is I haven’t been playing with backing tracks or along with the record. Without the beat to force me to hit that next note/chord on time, my brain just takes it’s time. Going to practice with metronome/record/backing track/app going forward once I’ve learned a song.

I’m jumping into Grade 3 now. I will take it much slower than Grades 1 and 2 since most of it will be new or unfamiliar from the looks of it. So, that’s it. I’ll be back with log for each lesson in Grade 3.

2 Likes

All sounds good, Dan. Enjoy Gr3

1 Like