Daphne's Learning Log

Daphne, well done on progressing the E shape barre chord, being able to play both major and minor chords.

I find the A shape to be quite different to the E shape. In the E shape ithe fingering for major and minor are similar, just lifting that finger for the minor. The way I play the A shape with a mini-barre made with my ring finger for the major and minor fingered like an open A minor, just slid up and using different fingers, means the A shape is almost like learning two more separate things.

Donā€™t know what your experience is. Perhaps try mastering the A shape minor chord first. I think it flows quite well from the E shape major chord eg G to Bm with G played E shape root on the 3rd fret. That can make for a good One Minute Changes drill as you get it done.

The other thing with that is that it opens up playing songs in the key of G with a mix of open and barre chords, which can be good practice.

In terms of getting songs down. Perhaps having a mix of songs that you practice and play may help with having fun. Have one that uses what you are currently learning. Have a few that are just using what you have already learned, so can play more easily. Those songs may enable you to make good progress with playing and singing.

I think always playing what is your current stretch can easily become frustrating, as you say. My problem is the inverse ā€¦ quite happy playing the songs within my play-grade and adding more of those songs to sing around the ā€˜camp fireā€™ and not enough pushing my play-grade.

1 Like

That is a good idea to mix in songs that are easier and fun to play. I realize now that I picked two songs that were a bit challenging and it was frustrating.

1 Like

I decided to set aside House of the Rising Sun. I was burned out and it wasnā€™t fun anymore. I have been taking songs I know and playing them with bar chords instead of open chords.

3 Likes

Good call, keep guitar fun and interesting.

I havenā€™t posted in a while and I wanted to post an update. Since I list posted, I finished Hurt by Johnny Cash, and set aside Houses of the Rising Sun. I also took an online singing class. I did an acoustic version of Blue Monday by New Order. I also leaned to play One I Love by REM. I am currently working on Dreams by Fleetwood Mac and trying to decide what song I want to learn next. I am almost done with Bar Chords and have been taking a strumming class.

2 Likes

Hi Daphne,
Sounds like your making great progress. Keep up the good work.
ā€˜Blue Mondayā€™ quite an interesting and usual song choice. Great song from the Manchester rave on era. I went to the Hacienda once back in the day.
Best wishes,
Alan

Iā€™d love to hear your rendition of Hurt. It is one I too have worked with and have been doing a finger style version of it. Would love to see AVOYP of it.

I loved the song when I was a kid. I thought it might sound good acoustic and decided to try it. I was nervous about it but it turned out ok.

2 Likes

Here is a video I did of Hurt I did.

3 Likes

When I was learning the song, someone in another group sent me this video of the musician playing the song fingerstyle.

3 Likes

Nice job, well done.:clap::clap::clap:
Sounds like your making great progress keep up the good work. Iā€™m learning this one too. Finding it ticky to smoothly go between Verse and chorus strum, more work needed for me.
You might want to turn camera to side on, so your fretting hand is in view. Some people find it useful to see if they are offering feedback etc.
Best wishes,
Alan

1 Like

Well Done Daphne :clap:. Keep it up. Thank you also for sharing the Justin Johnson video. He is a crazy amazing guitar player. I had not his version of it before and absolutely love it.

1 Like

Thanks, I love the song but it was harder to learn than I thought it would be. I recorded that video on my phone. I realized after I recorded it that it would work better to turn the camera sideways.

You are welcome I also love how he did that song.

1 Like