Darren, 49 from Nova Scotia, Cananda

Hello all!! My name is Darren and i am 49 years old and currently reside in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada!! Yes it is an awesome place!!! :wink: But i had to wear my thermal underwear today!!! Lol

I first picked up the guitar when a friend of mine asked if i wanted a guitar and some music books. I said “suuure!”. That was at 25 years old…dabbled with a few chords i needed to play the songs i wanted to. Needless to say i picked hard songs, not really realizing it…didn’t last long and stopped playing.

Then a year after that, the girlfriend at the time played and i got some lessons from her…well if that’s what you can call it…but i sure did appreciate it because i stuck with it for a few years…once again, playing songs that were well past my caliber. Non the less i pressed on. Even managed to play through a few, although my timing or strumming would almost always be off in a couple of spots. (Played to the songs always at this time) Then once again hit a wall, didn’t feel i was moving forward and stopped.

Again a few years later decided to take paid lessons…This worked and did get me moving along again. But once again was not led in a way that really improved my playing. Pick a song to play they would say, and we’ll learn it. Fine and dandy, but should have had easy songs on hand for beginners. So stuck with it a few more years. By this time i was easily 36. Could play all my 8 essential chords and working on the “F”…ooooooooo…lol. Then my guitar and all got stolen!!! Totally bummed me out and didn’t play For 4 years!!!

Then about 2 years ago my dad bought me an Epiphone DR-100 NA accoustical and got back into it. Found Justins how to play videos on u-tube . Liked his style and music being played, checked it out and here i am!! Happy to be here.!

And that’s my story, and i’m sticking to it!!!

15 Likes

Yeah, I’m in Minnesota, and we got about 6-7 inches of snow today. Welcome to the group!

1 Like

Hi Darren, great story, thanks for sharing! Glad you’ve got back into guitar and found your way here, JG has made a big difference to my outlook on my guitar progression (I have a similar story to yourself). I hope you really find your way towards playing what inspires you. Looking forward to seeing/hearing how your journey unfolds! :wave: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nice to have you here.

R.

1 Like

Hiya Darren. I hope all the cards fall into place for you this time! It’s hard to learn without effective tools and teachers. I really appreciate how Justin walks us through a strong foundation while also encouraging us to learn our favorite songs. I hope you’re enjoying your journey. I sure am!

3 Likes

I am indeed! I have leaped boundaries like i haven’t before all thanks JG. Many, many thanks there.

2 Likes

Great stuff. I waited till I was in my 50s over 10 years ago to get serious about the guitar and I’ve been having fun every since. My daily play guitar is an Epiphone acoustic, just thrilled with it. Look forward to hearing more from you.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to our community Darren. :slight_smile:

Great story, apart from the stolen guitar bit but nice to see your dad bought you another one.

2 Likes

Hi Darren,
Welcome here you young man,… :blush:
and also posted a video :sunglasses:
I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses: ,
Greetings, Rogier

2 Likes

The sad part for me is, i never would have probably gotten back into it if it wasn’t for good ole dad!! :wink: . But extremely happy he had the foresight to get me one! Loving the epiphone i have! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Thank you Stefen. Yes the stealing part was not a fun part, but crucial to the story. Good ole dad is what i say!!

2 Likes

Hi Darren

Welcome to the forum. Just saw your Marley cover over on AVOYP looks like your really enjoying it

2 Likes

Hey Darren…I’m in Halifax too…West Bedford.

My story’s very similar to yours…lots of attempting things way past my ability without realizing it…leading to frustration and putting down the instrument for years at a time.

But thanks to Justin, I think I’m now on a sustainable path!

2 Likes

Hello Darren, and welcome!! I just joined recently as well. I’m from Buffalo, New York. We got hit hard with snow last week, but there will be more!

2 Likes

Hello Darren and a warm welcome to the Community.
Stop-start on-and-off is such a common experience for so many of the learners and players here. Yours is a familiar back story but not diminished y that. In fact, it makes what you are doing now, and how you are progressing now, that much more impressive.
Cheers
Richard
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the warm welcome Richard! I believe i was a start/stop guy just on the simple basis, that i was indeed pushing way beyond what i should have been practicing as a beginner guitarist.

I’m sure it will make the journey forward that much easier with others that have a simular background. From what i see there are alot od solid folks i here.
Cheers! Or like we like to say in N.S. Yelling “SOCIALBLE!” And then all in the room grab a drink!!

1 Like

Hi Darren ! Welcome in ! Love your story. See you !

1 Like

Thak you Will. I like it so much i play with enthusiasm and heart as much as i can. I really try to find that inner music soul. That’s the aim. Singing is for fun and practice. :slight_smile:

Hello Tom! Well now, a guitarist that also follows JG in my area? That’s nice to know. I will be looking for a Jam partner here in the new year i figure. I am actually in Sheet Harbour. But for simplicity sake, and seems like most people recognize Halifax. I believe we are still considered H.R.M. (halifax regional municipality) for those not aware! Rock on brother!! :sunglasses: :v: :facepunch:

Hi Darren, good you have found ways to keep improving your guitar playing. Hopefully this time you can do it at more a steady pace. Following Justin Guitar lessons and choosing wisely which songs to tackle can help you a lot to achieve that. I live in Ontario, but I’ve been a couple of times in Halifax this year. When I moved to Canada I was a few years without a guitar as there were other priorities. It was my sister and then brother-in-law who came to the rescue and gave me an Art et Lutherie acoustic guitar as a gift

1 Like