Dead Flowers - The Rolling Stones

@LesPaulMoreRay @Carreta
Thanks for listening guys. Yes Gram Parsons was a big influence on Keef at that time.
As for the smile at the end Michal, just relief at getting through it without too many fluffs! :wink:

2 Likes

I agree, and it is relatively easy with three chords, which is why I played it so. I like the the album version, though I prefer the newer one with Ron Wood. Have you heard it, it is also live?

Great to see another OTW AVoYP posted. Especially one using just three chords of which are all beginner chords and show casing how you can add a little spice to it. The one thing that really comes across to me on all your posts and sets a great example is that regardless of the complexity of the song you really spend time learning the song to a level where you can do a one take polished version. As @stitch says your recordings are good honest playing, its like watching you pick up the guitar if asked to play a song on the spot. Nicely played and sung.

1 Like

Great job Gordon. I really enjoyed that and I loved your individual string picking in the chorus.

1 Like

it just goes to show what a good player can do with three chords. Nice job Gordon. A new one to me but very enjoyable. Had a cowboy feel to it especially with the walking lines in it.

I have to agree with Toby on this one. Time to sign on the dotted line.

2 Likes

I really liked it - well done!!

1 Like

Thanks for the listen Claudia, glad you enjoyed the song.
Yes there are a number of Stones songs that work on acoustic guitar. Perhaps not Brown Sugar or Jumpin’ Jack Flash. I now await a deluge of video links! :joy:

Hi Mal. I think this is the one you mean. Yes it’s terrific although calling it ‘totally stripped’ is very debatable as there is a lot going on with lead guitar, keyboard etc.
The reassuring thing is I think Mick is only playing 3 chords. :smiley:

Yes, this is the one. I agree, not quite stripped but a really good version.

1 Like

Hello Gordon, I’m always looking forward to your OTW recordings. And this was, again, such a nice one :blush:.

Although I’m not familiar with this song (but at least with the band :sweat_smile:), I enjoyed the listen very much. I particularly like the walking lines. To me, they made a big difference - just like the icing on the cake :star_struck:. (Or maybe, because I’m also experimenting with this technique at the moment :thinking::innocent::grin:.)

It was definitely worth the time and effort you’ve put into it :smiley:.

1 Like

Love it Gordon. The Martin sounds fabulous, enjoyed (as always) your vocal, and the embellishments.

Simple enough song for it to be one of my staple tunes. I throw in some sus4 embellishments which I don’t think you did, which you may want to play around with.

Have to amplify this. Firstly, people should not feel put off by playing songs with simple strumming patterns. You don’t have to play songs with complicated 1/16th note patterns to feel OK to post.

Find those simple 3 and 4 chord songs that you enjoy, perform them without fear, just letting rip, and all is well in the world.

Your wish is my command

2 Likes

Thanks for the listen and support James.
As for the one takes. I’ve probably said this before but I sometimes feel I do myself a disservice by posting them as I know I can produce a better version. However I’ve taken the view that if I kept deleting and redoing a song I’d never post anything as realistically there will always be a mistake or something that can be improved.
@Eddie_09 Thanks Eddie, I’m pleased you liked my version.
@SgtColon Thanks for the listen Stefan. Yes it’s got a country feel to it. I added in the walking lines to give a bit of extra dynamic as otherwise, as I said in my first post, it was a bit strum a dum dum.

2 Likes

@TomRichardson @NicoleKKB
I’m pleased you enjoyed my version of the song. Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.
Yes Nicole, adding in bass walking lines can add a bit of interest but like all embellishments the trick is not to overdo them.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right, Gordon. It’s not so easy to find the right amount of embellishments. I’m experimenting with that quite a lot, at the moment. It also helps to ask others, what they think, to avoid overdoing it :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

Hi Gordon,
I’m glad I listened to this now on my good speakers, I really enjoyed it :clap: :sunglasses: :clap: :sunflower: :bouquet: :rose:(living bio flowers :smile:)and I have nothing to add to your performance… or…Did you just start doing fancy video effects now a day !!! :grin: :clap:, I don’t read all the other comments that good so maybe I missed it , but I had a good laugh about it
Greetings,

2 Likes

Haha thanks David, I knew you wouldn’t let me down. :grin: Just goes to show that anything is possible.

Glad you enjoyed my version of the song. Yes you’re right, a few more sus chords would have worked. I sometimes find embellishments difficult. By that I don’t mean difficult to play but difficult to get the balance right. As I said to Nicole above, if you overdo them it can be too much and instead of adding to the song they can stop the flow a bit. All very subjective of course.
Thanks again for the listen.

1 Like

Glad to hear you’ve got your sound system sorted Rogier, you’ll hear the mistakes clearer now. Yes, for my last couple of AVoYPs I’ve been using DaVinci Resolve on my iPad to do some basic video editing. Just adding titles and trimming the start and finish. Nothing too fancy. Got to try to keep up with the others here! :smile:

1 Like

:smile: no no no

and zoom in here
That is fancy in my world :grin:

I hope to follow you soon in making the videos just a little bit better, but don’t hold your breath for it :upside_down_face: :smile:

1 Like

Strum a dum dum works great for some songs as in this one. Good job. As someone said earlier I thought the vocal could have been a bit louder but maybe tha’ts a result of the way you recorded it.

1 Like

I can recommend DaVinci Rogier. Like most techie things there is a learning curve but it’s not too steep.

1 Like