Dead note 15th fret

Hi all, I’m not much of a “high note” player, but today I was playing along with a backing track for Django’s “Minor Swing”, and I thought it sounded pretty good :sunglasses:. So, encouraged by my own playing ( :sunglasses:), up the neck I went, but there it was: a dead note on the high E string, at the 15th fret! Bummer! 14th, perfect, 16th, perfect. All other strings on the 15th, perfect. Any thoughts/ideas on this? Acoustic guitar, Epi Masterbilt EF-500-RA.

Hi John,
That doesn’t sound right :blush:…sorry for the silly joke…is your string damaged at one of those 2 frets? just a little dent, or the fret in that place, but you had already seen that yourself i guess… my knowledge about this does not go any further,
Succes ,Rogier

Hi John,

It might be the result of some uneven fret heights or the fret getting loose. You could check it with a fret rocker or take it to a luthier for a check-up.

1 Like

Silly but funny :smiley:
Anyway, I took a closer look, and that particular fret has come loose en sits out of the slot. Not much, but enough to be a nuisance :slightly_frowning_face:
Probably the drought of the last weeks :slightly_frowning_face:

Aaa…yes of course. :slightly_frowning_face:…And now ,do you have a guitar shop in your area or are you handy with this yourself?

@roger_holland there is a very good luthier where I live, and he’s a friend of mine :sunglasses:

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: