Deep Purple - Highway Star Solo (Video)

Eggcellent! RG

1 Like

Wow!!! That was incredible. Congrats on your achievement on that solo and thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Absolutely Kasper I personally really love the format, as a key student in lead play I love to watch other’s technique and compare it with mine so I know how I can improve. I am sure many others are in the same boat with me

1 Like

That is so impressive to watch, great work Kasper.

I’m glad to read that with all the work you’ve been putting in that it is starting to pay off. That’s why we do it, right?

1 Like

Wow - that was unbelievable - again wow!

1 Like

Wow, awesome dude! Really liked the video (vs soundcloud), really enjoyed watching your fingers fly. Didn’t seem WIP to me, sounded totally album quality.

1 Like

Wow, this takes me back! Fantastic rendition.

1 Like

This checks a lot of boxes for me sir. Publicly listed video of a person playing the guitar with great mastery, excellent tone, and in a minute thirty. Bam! Home run. Well done!

1 Like

It was a superb rendition of Blackmore’s legendary solo, everything is played flawlessly and the sound is very well chosen! Bravo!
Thanks for sharing

Mike

1 Like

Wow, that was killer!!!

I have absolutely no idea why you consider this a work in progress. It sounded flawless to me and absolutely rawked!!

What exactly would you aim to improve? How long have you been playing guitar?

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for checking it out! Well, whenever I post something I have it fresh in my mind and will usually have “zoomed in” on some details that I wish were better. What normally happens, after a bit of time, is that I grow more and more happy about it. I should probably learn to keep my mouth shut, and not make apologies for my playing when I post.

However; these are the things I hear myself, when listening back now:

1. The bend at 0:14 is a bit rushed. I always do that when playing this solo. The feel of that bend should be a tiny bit more laid back on the beat

2. I fumble the ending of the repetitive/cyclic lick at 0:23 a little bit…

3. The initial bend on the high e string that starts out all the arpeggio licks from 0:26 and onwards is played a bit too quick. I did the same thing last time I learned the solo (which Roman also pointed out to me) but it seems like that’s apparently the way I play this solo :slight_smile: The bends should ring out a little bit longer before playing the rest of the arpeggio.

These are all very small details… but they are the things I notice myself, and aim to improve on.

Of the things that I’m very happy about in this take, compared to the old version from years back;
I really enjoy the sound of bends that are bend to pitch, held steady there for a sec… and THEN applied vibrato to. It’s pretty difficult to do, requires a lot of control… but I like the sound. For example: that very first bend at 0:03 (and a few following that one). That’s a different sound from bending and applying vibrato immediately…

2 Likes

Thanks for such a detailed answer!

I have to say, I listened to those three things repeatedly, hoping I could hear what you’re talking about, but I just can’t.

You, sir, are a true artist.

2 Likes