Deep Purple - Highway Star Solo (Video)

Hi guys,

I’ve been doing a hell of a lot of technique practice lately, specifically working on my left/right hand synchronization plus ability to play faster and more relaxed. Some of this “woodshedding” was done to be able to perform my recent Metallica cover. BUT - I wanted to test something out…

“Deep Purple - Highway Star” has always been a kind of bucket list song/solo for me… something that I never expected to be able to play, back when I was a teenager. A few years back I actually did manage to record a full cover of that tune, but I remember having to slave over this solo. And recording it took many takes, and much comp’ing to be perfectly honest.

So what I wanted to test today was a couple of things;

1. Compare progress for those last couple of years
  2. Seeing if all that technical practice, for a specific song, would “rub off” and make other hard material easier to learn.

That last part was interesting for me, because in the past I’ve often slaved over a specific solo or song - and when moving on to the next thing, that would be just as hard to learn…

But this time something must have finally clicked - especially when it comes to hand synchronization.
I only started to learn this solo (again) yesterday, and getting it up to speed went much, much smoother this time. Not to mention I can now finally perform it pretty consistently!

Still a very hard solo though - not only because of the fast section, but all those other licks are maybe even more difficult! It’s based almost entirely on arpeggio fragments, playing a ton of fast licks with one note per string… causing a lot of string changes, and some uncomfortable finger twisters.

Hope you’ll enjoy my newest version of this legendary solo! It IS still a bit WIP, and with time I think I can improve it a little bit…

Cheers,
Kasper

23 Likes

Bloody awesome mate! How long have you been working on that one?

Thanks! Since yesterday :wink:

3 Likes

I read that but I assumed it must have been a typo - “since yesteryear” :rofl:

1 Like

Oooooo Kasper,
What should I say???
My wife and I have watched with open mouth … 2x already…

She asked … are you going to learn this too :flushed:, … well maybe if someone wants to buy my soul,… I said,…
Thank you very much for the video :sunglasses:,… :bouquet:
Greetings,…

3 Likes

Jeepers Kasper that was solidly nailed Sir.

That is one piece that is etched into my skull form listening to Machine Head over and over and that was on the money, notes and tone was perfect. Absolutely mirrored the section from 50s to the end. Stoater !!! Can’t believe it was 7 years since you did that first cover !!
And its still freakin ace so deserves a plug in the new house, But you have definitely upped your game on this new take ! Both are great but the 2022 tone makes it stand out more.
:metal:

https://soundcloud.com/kasper-fauerby/deep-purple-highway-star

2 Likes

Yeah! :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Hey Kasper,
Sounded great, looked effortless, fluid and technical at the same time. Tones are pretty close… Oh darn, it is over…

Uh, MORE!

Keep up the Christmas rocking spirit dude!
LB

1 Like

Sensational and mesmerising Kasper! The seamless fluidity of it all is what really got me. Masterful!

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for sharing, Kasper. Fluid, relaxed, beautifully done. Really enjoyed it.

1 Like

Sensational stuff, Kasper!! :fire: :fire: :fire: Wow, that is playing I could only dream of! Amazing tone too! Like Toby said, you nailed that brother!! :metal::confounded: Incredibly well done! :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

I see Casper! I watch!!! Meahahaha!!! As always, love listening to ya work that fret board brother! Waaaaaaaaay beyond me paygrade to evem comment on anythimg that may or may not be in place!!! Excellnt job!!
Rock on Brother! Sociable! Peace out! :sunglasses: :fist_left: :v:

1 Like

What a treat to watch you play that Kasper. I really enjoy seeing how that is played, as well as listening to it, it being one of my favourite solos of all time. Blackmore is something else, and Purple performing that live on Made In Japan.

I am no longer taken by surprise at you ability to play these solos and songs plus shape tones that are just spot on. The product of many many years and hours of dedicated, deliberate practive result in skills and ability to achieve this. Tip my hat to you.

Now all I am missng is some live videos of you playing with the band you are in. But I think I’ve said that before and know getting such footage is a challenge.

2 Likes

Bloody awesome mate, well done.

1 Like

Wow. Amazing!!

1 Like

Kasper that was amazing as always! Damn my fingers are aching only by looking how are you getting this legato section going, absolutely exhausting and finger wrecking exercise! Although it looks like you are doing it so seamlessly, wow. Hats off as usual!

2 Likes

Excellent playing! That’s a difficult one to get right, and it sounded great.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone who replied, you’ve all been too kind!
Seems like this “format” is something many people enjoy, so I’ll try to do more of these small video clips of solos in the future. I can also really recommend it to anyone else, it’s fun to focus on just a small solo clip and getting it just right… a bit easier than a full song perhaps.

2 Likes

Kasper, I think the difference that makes the difference is the video. It is fabulous to watch how these solos are actually played. And when you make the video it is so much easier to see and appreciate than watching videos of Blackmore live.

When you share audio only and include the individual guitar tracks that is also really helpful. Quite educational to hear all the different layere parts that go into a studio recording.

1 Like

absolutely amazing mate. it’s inspirational and mesmerizing watching you play. Your work in progress is something that I can only dream of achieving in this life time.

1 Like