Devils and Dust - my first AVOYP

Took the initial plunge last month by posting this on the performance link!
I’ve been following Justin for about 4 years, and have recently found the new clubs have reinvigorated my enthusiasm. Richard and Lieven’s clubs are always stimulating, and Joe Robinson’s class made me realise how much practice and mistakes are behind a good performance.
I’m trying to get 10 songs to a reasonable standard, and found the process of recording this first attempt really helpful in focusing on one song from beginning to end
Richard

33 Likes

Hi Richard,
Welcome here and good you step into the light …Because you are truly wonderful to listen to
:sunglasses: :clap: :man_bowing:

What an first post :flushed:… you set the bar quite high… or rather, I don’t see the bar anymore :smile:

Greetings,Rogier

very nice indeed !

Thank you so much for posting your rendition here. I doubt that I would have found it any time soon in the performance page :slightly_smiling_face:

What an entrance!!! I’m currently listening to your song for what is maybe the fourth of fifth time already, wondering how you get the bass notes ringing out that clearly? You are not using a thumb pick of I saw it correctly?

I can’t offer any feedback on what you could do better, so I will just say listening to you play and sing was easily the best moment of my day so far :slightly_smiling_face:

Richard, that is quite the introduction. Great performance! I’m looking forward to more.

Sounds great! Both the playing and the singing :+1:

Really enjoyable Richard. Your playing has a fine, natural flow to it.

Well, thank you for all the encouraging comments, much appreciated and good for confidence!
Regarding the bass notes I’ve just got long fingernails! I was interested in Joe Robinson’s enthusiasm for the thumb pick. Might give it a try but I tend to prefer just using my fingers, and don’t usually use a plectrum either
Richard

1 Like

That was very nicely done Richard, what a great first post. I just had Springsteen on an album loop in the car for a few weeks, you know all the cheerful songs from the early days like this one !! So this was pretty fresh on my mind to appreciate what a good you have made of it. Sometimes 20 odd takes are worth it. Nicely played and well balanced, plus some very good vocals evenly delivered.

Well done and welcome onboard !

:sunglasses:

Both you and your guitar sound absolutely great, very nicely matched. That was fantastic first video!
I thought quality of your recording was excellent as well. What do you use for recording?

I’ve not heard this before , so thank you for sharing.

R

Terrific Richard, what a way to introduce yourself!
I don’t know the song but that was so soothing, bravo. I’m certainly looking forward to hearing more from you and learning more about you.
Welcome and bravo!

Hello and welcome to our community Richard. :slight_smile:

That was really nice and I’m glad to read that you had been reinvigorated by the clubs.

Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Thanks for the further welcomes.
My recording set up is very simple - an IPad with an external Blue Snowball Ice mic.
Guitar is a Yamaha LL16 which I love!
Richard

Oh… that was great Richard!! An absolutly superb debut :raised_hands:t2:
My favourite Springsteen song by the way :grin:
And you made it sound great…
well done!!

Thanks, one of my favourites too.
I too started playing guitar about 25 years ago, but then had a 20 year break. Dusted down the guitars at the start of covid in 2020, so some benefit from months of lockdown in the UK!
Richard

Hi Richard,

Thank you for sharing. You look so calm and cool playing. Was that relaxed technique hard to master. I’ve posted dozens of videos here but never to your level of quality. Great job and welcome

Jeff from California

Hi Richard, what a beautiful AVOYP debut :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.
I’m a Springsteen fan, and this song is among my favourites.
By playing and singing the way you do, you’ve definitely made this song your own. I really like your version. Very soulful and calm. Highly enjoyable :smiling_face:.
Thanks a lot for sharing :hugs:.

Fabulous debut Richard. Beautifully played and sung :+1::+1::+1:

Hi Richard, that is how to debut. Take 22 is a hit. I recognise what you say about the recording process, it helps me focus on finishing a song rather than moving on too quickly to the next half learned song.