Dimehead NAM player

OK interesting one here.

NAM is a free open source amp modeler , I talked about it in this thread The Plug in Place - #19 by math07

But doesnt get a lot of talk here, its pretty damned good and lots of free ā€˜amps’ around to try out.

I found it responsive and very ā€˜active’

So it seems Dimehead have put this in a pedal with some default amps loaded and a convolution reverb and some other toys (gate, IRs , tuner etc).

Sounds great but the downside is its €595 which is a bit more than the nano cortex etc

I watched that this morning and I’m more than a little curious but I have a sneaking suspicion that if I were to crack that box open the inside is going to be stuffed full of either Arduino or Raspberry Pi. Which in and of itself is not a bad thing. . . until you slap a $1000 price tag on it and your software development is done for free by other people.

First to market is not always the best option and I’m looking forward to seeing what else comes along.

1 Like

Yeah be interesting to see whats inside, theres certainly some custom work around NAM itself, and I like the models but.

1 Like

Running on Pi. And sounding really good doing so. . .

Hey, I could be wrong and it might be worth every cent they are asking for but I don’t see that from where I’m standing.

Yeah for sure the price is spicy

Even worse, it’s a small company, so who knows how long they will be around to support their product. But, if you absolutely need NAM in a pedal, I’m not sure you realistically have any alternative unless you’re prepared to engineer your own solution on a Raspberry Pi.

I just run NAM on my laptop.

Yeah if you are at home etc you can just do that, on stage I guess its harder, this lets you take your NAM models live I guess without as much risk and trouble.

True. Personally though, if I were actually gigging, I think I would get a small form factor PC (like the Intel NUC box) exclusively for music use, and run everything on it (including all other distortion / modulation / delay / reverb / etc. effect plug-ins), plus a midi pedal controller. I think the dimehead unit might makes sense (especially at the current price point) if it also does multi-fx, meaning it’s literally all the pedals you need, but it doesn’t.

Plenty of similar options from UA, NeuralDSP , ToneX etc but this is certainly up there in price

I think the kemper player costs more but hat has effects slots?

I believe the Mod Dwarf supports NAM, although with some limitations. It’s around the same price as the Dimehead, but does a whole load more.

As I said, it has some limitations, but it’s probably enough for a gig.

I believe @LievenDV has one of these, and may be able to comment.

Cheers,

Keith

Ampless pedalboards; really an interesting topic!

NAM started out as a pc only plugin because it’s processor requirements are pretty high.
The tech iq quite popular and logically, the requests for ā€œportable liveā€ solutions quickly grew in numbers.

I have a MOD Dwarf;
It supports NAM (amongst other ā€œprofilingā€ tech) but only the nano scale models so I would not recommend it for NAM applications. I use the AIDA-X technology, which is more light weight on the processor of the unit while the results are pretty nice. There aren’t 1000’s of profiles available but I can make my own by transforming a dry sound and submitting wet and dry. the profiling algoritms calculate the function dry->wet.

The AIDA people are also bringing their tech to Chaos audio:
https://chaosaudio.com
Stay tuned

If you don’t mind Leo’s Italian accent, you could check video’s like this:
(It should give you some extra insight on what is very popular on the market right now)

Expensive, for a floor pedal…they all are
BUT if you like tinkering, profiling yourself or want a vast amount of options, your choice might be different. I’m not fooled by quantities, since I usually work with 1 amp live (which I " crafted" myself using a blend of digital high gain amps and some EQ’ing)

BTW; I LOVE not having run aroudn with amps and speakers :smiley:
and the modelling technology is very fascinating.
I think a guitarist should at least know what it is all about, whether he/she goed for such an approach or not.

1 Like

This just dropped, Valeton, makers of a great little multi-FX units have released their own take on what is essentially a Tone-X One. But, this one will run NAM captures!

Colour me very interest!

2 Likes

You forgot the most important part: it’s Ā£79!! How?!

NAM captures are pretty heavy compute wise; they couldn’t have gotten away with some cheap low power microprocessor.

If you have a Valeton multi-FX unit, as of yesterday, you now have the ability to load amp clones and capture your own amps by updating your firmware and software. That is a pretty nice upgrade for what is already a ridiculously low priced unit that punches way above its weight class.

NAM profiles come in different ā€œquality ā€œ levels. Light versions require less processing than ā€œfull profileā€. That said, my old ears probably wouldn’t pick the difference.
Many companies products that are NAM compatible actually convert the profile to each companies proprietary version. Dime head being the exception that loads the actual NAM profile (their claim).
I like the Nux Amp Academy Stomp which mixes white box technology with NAM profiles and irs . Waiting to see what the Nux mg50i offers ( jan 2026 release). Quality units at great prices in Aus.

NAM A2 is here and it looks like it’s about to level the playing field.

The new A2, or Architecture 2, has been optimized to run on the most basic processors available, meaning converting NAM captures to run on various hardware is now a thing of the past. It’s being touted as working on something as basic as a $3 chip, so the true budget end of the market will now be able to run NAM profiles in their native format.

Expect updates from most of the brands already offering a NAM enabled pedal or modeler. HeadRush has already confirmed that it will be updating the Flex, Core, and Prime modelers to support A2.

We could be looking at the start of a standardization of a cross platform file format for modeling.

Nux have already stated they are adding NAM A2 in next firmware update for mg 50li. Interesting to see if it reaches other Nux modellers too.

1 Like

So I’ve used modelers almost exclusively for the last decade… and recently going back to old valve amps - and there really is something ā€˜better’ about ā€˜real’ amps, but I can’t figure out what… and the hassle factor is HUGE compared with modeling stuff… As I have a studio and time and money to put into pursuing tone, it makes sense, but for most folk, the modeling thing is pretty incredible… I would suggest a music store trip, trying them, and seeing what resonates rather than reviews, which can be pretty misleading, not deliberately, but it’s all about taste. Innit?

5 Likes

Absolutely! And taste is a very individual thing, what tickles one person is a poke with a pointy stick for another.