DIY Real Tape Echo Effect - Janky Tape Echo

This is a project that I’ve been watching and waiting on for about a year now and it has now reached the pre-order stage for PCBs! If you build pedals or have an interest in building pedals this is must see project IMO. This project includes a 3D-printed element as well to make the magnetic tape mechanism as easy to build as possible.

The original demo video that caught my eye.

And a longer video that was released this morning announcing the start of PCB pre-orders and providing a detailed explanation of the project. Here is a link to the project page with info on the PCBs and the 3D files as well as building instructions. https://www.indifferentengine.com/product-page/janky-tape-echo-pcb-set

As far as I know, there are only two options for a real tape echo, the Roland RE-201 and the T-Rex Replicator. The Roland is in Klon territory as far as price goes, and the T-Rex is pushing 4 figures too, so both are spendy options.

Anyhow, I just thought this might be of interest to some here. I have no affiliation or connection to this project other than personal interest.

Cheers! :beers:
Richard

5 Likes

That looks like fun. I’ll have to have a proper look later to see how feasible it would be.
The 3D printing should be easy enough, but it’ll depend on what electronic components they’re using.

IIRC there are other genuine tape echoes, but most are now digital.

Super cool project! Thanks for sharing, I might preorder one and build it myself just for the fun of it!