Do bands use different amps etc on international tours due to electrical differences?

Out of interest Keith, do pro bands use different equipment when they do USA and European tours?

1 Like

I really have no idea.

I suspect many bands rent their backline from trusted companies in each region. It’s also probably a lot cheaper than transporting it.

There seems to be an increasing number of acts that are touring with modellers, which are not only more portable and rugged, but tend to have dual-voltage power supplies.

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

I thought we were sticking to the Borders? :thinking:

2 Likes

Always good to be prepared Brian. I’d hate it if we had to turn down our big break opportunity just because we had the wrong plugs! :smiley:

6 Likes

Assuming Argos trades north of the wall

1 Like

I do not think so, I heard Gary Clark jr’s technician explaining he used adapters in UK and EU for Gary’s Vibro King apps. Those apps are not produced anymore and they are his signature sound, so I do not think they’d risk it.

UK to Europe is fine as they are compatible electrical systems; it’s only the connectors that are different.

The main issue is between the US and Europe. Get that wrong and you can let the magic smoke out of the box.

Cheers,

Keith

Most people don’t know that electronics run on smoke. If the smoke gets out, it doesn’t work anymore.

2 Likes

Yeah, and most people don’t know how temperamental it can be, it gets out at the slightest opportunity! The biggest problem being that once it’s got out it’s a right so and so to get it back in!!!

1 Like

Here’s an answer from the horses mouth:

Around 8.18 he also mentions voltage differences for his pedalboard power.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like