Do i need an electric acoustic?

As any of you who’ve had the misfortune to listen to me singing / playing know, I dont like using a pick. I can use one, i just prefer the feel of the strings, and the different tones I can get that way.
The problem is that I’m playing in school now, using a pick to play songs with my class of 7-9 year olds and in assembly as it would be too quiet otherwise.
So, do I need a guitar I can plug into an amp so I can ditch the pick? I am only interested in acoustic. What do you think?

Hi Julie, for my 2pence I also rarely use a pick and most of my acoustics are electro. I find it provides much more choice. The next thing is which guitar and then which amp?
hope that helps.

1 Like

Julie, I’m not sufficiently knowledgeable to make any highly credible suggestions.

That said, perhaps a microphone that can plug into a powered, amplified speaker might be a viable option. Not sure, others may chip in on that.

Also not sure on the cost aspect of guitar plus amp vs microphone and speaker and the associated sound quality and loudness to meet your need.

And what other use cases that you may have now or perhaps contemplate for the future, such as live busking to play and sing.

1 Like

Thanks @DavidP .
The children provide the volume for the vocals, it’s just the guitar i need to be louder. Not planning on any busking, although i am retiringnin 2024…:laughing:

1 Like

From my strictly amateur, non-performing point of view, I think an electro-acoustic is probably the “easier” option. You plug it into an amp and away you go. No need to worry about mic placement, direction, picking up ambient sounds, etc. The flip-side is that an electro-acoustic with good electronics might cost more than buying a decent mic and speaker, and I gather a lot of people prefer the sound of recorded acoustic than electro-acoustic.

Another consideration is that getting an electro-acoustic means buying a whole new guitar… and who doesn’t want to do that?! Any excuse, right? :grin:

3 Likes

One comment. The pick is the very best cheap amplifier one can buy. If a pick will give you the volume you need, why buy an amplifier?

1 Like

You could consider clip-on soundhole pickups or have permanent ones added to your existing acoustic guitar.

3 Likes

Thanks all. On reading all of your excellent advice i think ive decided that I’ll try a few guitars and see if i like the sound. I know i dont like the pick sound, and dont want a mic. I have a budget of about £500 for guitar & small amp. Any recommendations? I only have one guitar currently, a Fender that I bought new for £160 last year to learn on, so ive not been extravagant…

Do you have access to PA speakers where you play for the kids? That can make a huge cost difference, because all you would need is the pickup/pre-amp.

You want an acoustic amp and don’t need all the fancy stuff for electric guitars.

I hear good things about the Yamaha THR5 acoustic amp. But at $209 USD it takes a chunk of your guitar budget. Maybe you can get a package deal?

1 Like

It would probably be best to take a trip to a store. You could get a small acoustic amplifier for £100. Try the amplifiers out with a guitar to see which one you like the sound of and then try a bunch of guitars in the price range that you like the looks of with that amplifier to see which one tells you to take it home with you. You could get a bunch of different opinions here but at the end of the day it’s what guitar suits you. As Joshua says you may be able to get a package deal, they probably won’t take anything off a low value amplifier but could take a few pounds off the guitar and throw in a cable for you.

2 Likes

And as @socio said, perhaps a soundhole pickup plus an acoustic amp will get you over the line and deliver a better result that a relatively cheap acoustic with built-in electronics and an amp. You may find that you are not inspired by the sound you get from such a guitar and an amp within your budget.

And then should the day dawn when you have saved up and wish to treat yourself to a better acoustic, you’d get reuse from the pickup and not have to buy an acoustic with electronics which may enable a better quality of guitar since all you are paying for is guitar, not electronics.

2 Likes

I’m with the DIY folks.
Spend the bulk of your money on a guitar you love (preferably used). If you need amplification and don’t want to use a mic, get a quality 2nd had soundhole pickup and install it yourself (or get a friend to help, it’s not that hard). I picked up a Fishman rare earth for £50 and it works a treat.

3 Likes

Maybe even something like this Woody Acoustic Pickups - YouTube should do the trick.

1 Like

You know, @DavidP amd @Socio have a brilliant idea. The Woody is $60 USD, and the Yamaha THR5 is $209, so well under budget. Apply to your current guitar and put the other £200 in a jar and add £25 per month for being so smart. You will have enough for a nice guitar upgrade in a year and you won’t have to spend for one with electronics!

1 Like

Looking at Sweetwater, there are a load of amps in the $200-300, some of which are purpose-built for acoustic guitar.

1 Like

I’m in the buy a clip on sound hole pickup and the Yamaha amp camp too. That way you’ve got a quality acoustic amp long term and you can upgrade your guitar later when funds allow. All bases covered.

1 Like

Hi Julie, i have played in school with teenagers. I have a Lag electric acoustic. It’s 14 years old and it’s lovely. They are nice guitars and not too pricey. I plugged it into an amp from the music dept. Don’t know what it was. I didn’t use a pick. I’ve only recently tried a pick with my acoustic and i quite like it. I was always fingerstyle but I’ve even got a favourite pick now. Anyway, waffling…I now have my own amp a Fender Champion 20. It’s great. My acoustic sounds great through it with a pick and without. It’s loud enough and would do for school stuff. It’s a lot of fun. Have just spent 2 hours playing around with the delay and reverb on my acoustic. I only got the amp because i got an electric guitar last year, the electro acoustic fun is a bonus!

1 Like