Do I need to use a metronome if using songs and learning from app?

Might be a dumb question but do I need to use a metronome if I am learning/playing songs and practice through the JG song app? I just assume using the song app is giving me the beat to follow and in the strum practice it’s giving me a beat as well.

2 Likes

Hi Darren, in the app (as I recall) the default is at standard tempo for the song so no metronome needed, however you can adjust it as you learn.
Hope you’re having fun! :slight_smile: :guitar:

1 Like

Hi Darren,

@Notter is spot on, of course - you do not need a metronome to play along with the app, and you can adjust the speed of the songs you practice. As a Grade 2 beginner (who remembers Grade 1 quite well), I’d guess you will probably want one soon enough so you can practice things not in the app. For example, you may work on a new strumming pattern, or learn a song that is not in the app. As you’re probably aware, there are plenty of inexpensive metronome apps available. If you need guidance in choosing one, I expect doing a search of the community will yield good advice. Of course, if you have further questions, don’t be shy to ask!

2 Likes

Thanks @judi ! And to add, don’t forget the JG Time Trainer app. A relatively small cost, but with some very useful extra functionality, if you just want a standalone metronome app whilst contining to support everything Justin!!

2 Likes

Indeed, I use Justin’s Time Trainer app, and love it. Don’t know why I didn’t say that in the first place! :roll_eyes: Thanks for calling it (and me) out!

2 Likes

Thanks! I figured I better ask just to make sure. :+1:

1 Like