Do you have weird guitar habits?

Ok, this is going to make me sound like a bit of an oddball….

I have this habit where I feel that my guitars should have their strings strummed every day. To the point where even on the rare days I’ve not picked up either guitar and played properly, I’ll just strum all strings once before going to bed, whilst why are still on their stands. Both guitars……

Confession time folks, what’s yours? I can’t be alone here with something strange, can I?

:slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Jeez if I did that I’d get no sleep ! :rofl:

5 Likes

I can’t wait for the day I’ve got enough guitars to make that the case @TheMadman_tobyjenner !! It’s part of what fuels my website window shopping :wink::joy:

5 Likes

Doesn’t sound “strange” to me. Often times, early in the morning, before any noise should be made in the small space we live in at the moment (RV), I’ll lightly run my fingers across the string of my guitar on it’s hanger. i can just hear the lovely harmonic sounds it makes. Similar to what you speak of. Strange? Not in my book. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The first chord I learned was E. To this day, when I start to warm up, the first thing I do is play an E chord.

5 Likes

The first thing in the morning I look out for any AVoYPs from Notter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The one thing that I have is I have my favourite pick. If that pick gets lost I have a bunch of the same picks but have to go through a bunch of the identical picks before settling on one.

7 Likes

Whenever I am in my music room I need to strum strings even if guitars hang off the wall and I strum on the neck, just can’t leave it be :rofl:

6 Likes

Crikey I wouldn’t have expected you to be that weird James :joy::wink:

2 Likes

Well you do need something to bring you back down to earth in the morning and give you inspiration to practice :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I can’t put my guitars down without passing a cloth through the strings, even if I played them for 5 minutes :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

:joy::joy: yeah I use my own recording too to bring me down to earth from my overnight dreams of being on a festival stage!!

3 Likes

My weird habit is I mix up the first and second finger when playing a D chord. I don’t know why I started doing that years ago (2004 maybe?), but everyone who sees it gives me a crazy look like what kind of fingering is that. A professional music teacher told me last week that doing that makes it sound closer to a d minor. I have been forcing myself this week to fix it,hard habit to break. so I play a mostly D/D minor half the time if there is such a thing lol.

3 Likes

Sometimes the sounds I make playing are pretty strange…:roll_eyes:

5 Likes

@Jamolay keep it clean and not too distorted :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I love it! Makes sense to me…I think I"ll make myself a new rule to at least pick them all up for a strum every day - wouldn’t actually take me that long

Reckon I probably would have a strange guitar habit (or two)… just nobody has pointed out to me that it’s strange yet :laughing: :laughing:

4 Likes

Hi Mark, apart from caressing my guitars from time to time, which isn’t strange at all in my opinion, I’m getting completely confused while playing, when e.g. a fallen piece of paper or other stuff, like a pick or so, lays on the carpet in front of me. Even if it doesn’t disturb me at all, I’m trying to kick it out of my field of vision while playing. Can’t have anything around my feet while playing :see_no_evil:
Another weird habit is to spend too much time in the forum (and answering questions like this one) :rofl:

6 Likes

Love it Helen! I think we’re all in that same boat with the forum :wink:

5 Likes

I was only going to have one: to tune my guitars every day whether I played them or not. Kind of like people collecting clocks and winding them up every day. I still may get around to doing it, but my guitars don’t go out of tune that much in a single day.

I wonder how often pianists retune :rofl:

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s strange either, I do that too, especially when I’m already holding them :slight_smile:
Also, hold them up and admire them, smell the wood in the acoustics - especially my uke which is solid Australian blackwood and smells amazing!!
… that’s not weird is it? :grin:

5 Likes

Hello Mark, great topic :grinning:. Really funny to read through all of the comments :sweat_smile:.
My probably weirdest guitar related habbit is, that I don’t have one :see_no_evil:.

5 Likes