Do you like your guitar tone?

The problem is the connection to the Katana. The Tone Studio for iOS works for devices where you can connect via Bluetooth, but the full-fat Katana doesnā€™t have Bluetooth.

There is the option of the Xsonic Airstep pedal which, as well as being a useful foot-switching control for the Katana, has bluetooth and enables you to use the BTS for Katana Air application to control the Katana. There are some differences in functionality between the Katana Air and the full Katana models, but I think 90% of the functionality is there, and it would let you play with the global EQ.

(I just installed the Android version to check it supports that).

Or thereā€™s Katana Librarian for iOS which also works with the Airstep. (the Android version works with a USB cable but, unfortunately, the iOS version only seems to work with Bluetooth).

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Makes sense. I just found Bossā€™s page where they give info on Boss Tone Studio compatibility with different operating systems for their various products.

(I see that Tone Studio is supported on Android for the GT-1000 but not the GT-1000 Core. Thatā€™s annoying, since I own a GT-1000 Core. Shouldā€™ve done better research, I suppose.)

1 Like

The GT1000 Core doesnā€™t have Bluetooth so Itā€™s not going to work with the phone app.

Although you can get one of the WIDI Jack devices and then, apparently, it will work the the phone app.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Katana amps are not universally adored or embraced by the guitar playing community at large. That said, nothing can be all things to all people.

I love Fender tones, so I went with a Fender practice amp (which is a little outdated now), an American Sound preamp pedal from Joyo, and a Flamma preamp pedal as well. How does this help you?

1. Get to a Fender tone preset on your Katana.
  2. Failing that, find out how to bypass your Katanaā€™s preamp altogether and see if you can get a decent clean tone. I do this often with my Fender amp (when I want to step outside of my presets) and then add anything from a preamp pedal to some dirt and/or delay. Just know that bypassing your ampā€™s preamp will make bass, tone, etc non-functional on the amp, and thatā€™s pretty much the point. :slight_smile:

The American Sound (around $40 US) gives me a wide range of tones from tweed to black-face. The Flamma (around $70 US) has a really great Blues Jr sim (and a few others) that I really dig and canā€™t get anywhere else.

It can sometimes take some trial and error to get to a tone that you like. Have at it!

1 Like

Youā€™re a gentleman of good taste and deep pockets (for a Scot :rofl:). Your reluctance to waste time chasing technological wonders in the rabbit warren is admirable.
I wonder if you wouldnā€™t get more use out of something small and versatile, like the Yamaha THR? It can sit unobtrusively on a living room shelf, has all the usual manual functions, and if you ever want to tweak deeper can be controlled by your phone.
Just a thought :thinking:

1 Like

It has crossed his mind :thinking:

2 Likes

Plenty of people enjoy the Katana and its tones but it may not be for youā€¦

If its not do some research and try out some others.

I like my fender (gtx-100) but its not as good as the katana for really heavy stuff

I mostly play via pc using Neural DSP these days anyhow

1 Like

No politics, please.

Ah, cheers for that. No idea who that is under the terminator :roll_eyes: although I suppose heā€™s a politician too :rofl:

Youā€™re right James, I have gone down this thought process before. :grinning:

Maybe worth a trip down to a guitar store with the SG and try out a few amps to find one that works for you

2 Likes

Thank you all so much for your interest and replies. There are so many options in this tone/amp scenario. Buy a different amp. Fx loop or not. Buy an add on footswitch to enable Bluetooth access and iPhone access to patches etc etc etc. I could even take my guitar into a shop but how many amps are available to test? Am I knowledgeable enough to judgeā€¦ā€¦No.
I inevitably end up sticking with what Iā€™ve got and play with a clean tone, some reverb and maybe a tiny bit of delay.
Iā€™ll probably be complaining about this again in another years time. :woozy_face::joy:

6 Likes

The only way to bypass a regular 50W Katana preamp is through the aux input or the FX loop (on other models). I would wager a guess that the Katana probably doesnā€™t take too kindly to pedals as well. I think the MKII has corrected these oversights.

1 Like

I get the impression that to be a guitarist these days it really helps to have a degree in computer science. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Nobody has taken away all the old school valve amps etc.

If you are considering that, the Airstep is on special offer at the moment: ā‚¬65 plus shipping from the Xsonic web site.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Or get it on amazon with no postage or import taxes, plus if it doesnā€™t work out just make up the right excuse and send it back for full refund.

1 Like

Revisiting this, I was in KL today, and had a play with a lovely SG plugged into a Katana. Sorry, no recording, but my Brother-in-law took this photo:

It sounded great. I stuck with the clean channel with a bit of gain and, occasionally, some boost using the standard top-panel controls. I got some tasty tones from it ranging from smooth and creamy on the neck pickup to biting on the bridge pickup. Plus some nice clean jazzy tones.

SG was a used 1960s reissue. It looked and sounded great, although Iā€™m not sure about the trem system.

Only 16,000 MYR (about Ā£2,500).

Edit: interestingly, it was Les Paul branded.

Edit 2: apparently it is a Gibson 60th Anniversary 1961 Les Paul SG Standard

Cheers,

Keith

4 Likes

Looks like yer having a lot of fun to me Majik.
Iā€™ve always kinda wanted a SG. There was that same guitar up for sale locally here a bit ago (craigs list). 60 miles out though. I really near came to go check it out but after reading about that sideways vibrato, I passed. + the SG I want would have p90ā€™s in it. But anyways.
Wondering what ya thought about the tuning stability of that particular guitar. Best I read, that sideways vibrato is not stable and that guitar can go out of tune in short order.
Did you experience that while playing that guitar?

1 Like

I didnā€™t experience any tuning instability in that guitar in the 10 mins or so I was noodling on it, including bends.

It also didnā€™t suffer from any neck dive at all, probably because of the heavy tremolo mechanism.

I believe the vibrola (as I believe it is called) will make it go out of tune if itā€™s used. I didnā€™t use it.

I actually have a Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute at home with P90ā€™s, which was considerably cheaper than this one.

The Les Paul SG was fun to play, and looked and sounded great. But, like you, I prefer the P90s.

For humbucker tones, I have my PRS Singlecut S2.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like