Yamaha THR range but with fx loop!

I really fancy one of the Yamaha THR amps. but they don’t have an FX loop. I know there are work arounds but I already have a Boss Katana 50 and I’m fed up with the work around for that. I fancy the Bluetooth that the Yamaha has for playing backing tracks etc. and the small ‘lounge friendly’ size.

Is there an alternative with all the functions of the Yamaha but which also has an FX loop?

2 Likes

My fender gtx has but its only on the larger ones afik

1 Like

I think Rob has GTX100, I have GTX50 and it has an FX loop. Also has looper built in if you get the pedal (which comes with gtx100 but not gtx50)

1 Like

yeah but the smaller LT’s dont, and the GTX50+foot switch works out to a GTX100 price anyhow :confused:

Might be better to get an all in 1 pedal to plug into the yamaha?

1 Like

Do you really need an fx loop?
Sure if there was one- fine. But I really don’t miss it. I bought a wireless 5-switch foot controller which dials in whatever sounds I like, but tbh, rarely use it.
Alternatively what about one of those neat headphone jacks that @sclay recently got?
They look cool :sunglasses:

1 Like

Unless you buy it lightly used from eBay like I did :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Which part of the Yamaha THR workaround scares you? I got one myself together with a looper pedal last week, and the workaround feels pretty low effort to me

For me it’s yes. If all you do (or will ever do) is play with a clean amp, then no. If you don’t care about preamp pedals, then no again. If you don’t like or want another option for shaping your tone, then no again.

Hi Gertjan. No it doesn’t scare me. As I said, I currently have a Katana 50 and have a work around for using that with a looper pedal. It’s not at all difficult, just a nuisance. The Yamaha is a much more expensive amp and to pay that money and still have to ‘work around’ shortcomings would annoy me.
The small lounge friendly style and appearance does attract me though.

I’m sure you’ve explained this before, Clint, but my memory fails me… :roll_eyes:
I’m guessing most (beginner-intermediate) learners don’t usually play clean but practice and play the majority of time on a handful of settings that they have already set up on their amp, occasionally tweaking or looking for something different. I also presume that most pedals that learners buy deal with an aspect of tone that is also catered for (albeit in a different way) by a decent modelling amp.
Would a decent modelling amp with a number of presets and an fx loop and looper not have similar capabilities to a ‘simpler’ amp, looper and a selection of pedals?

I’m certainly not an electrical expert but I can’t understand why an amp the price of the Yamaha doesn’t have an fx loop. Surely the loop doesn’t actually do anything. It’s simply a circuit within the amp that bypasses any presets on the amp, so the cost must be minimal.

I understand that amp manufactures think their customers have bought a modelling amp because they want all the inbuilt fx and will have no need for additional pedal fx therefore there is no need for an fx loop.
What they have forgotten about is the looper pedal and Trio type pedal.
Yes there is a fairly straightforward workaround but it’s a nuisance.

1 Like

That answer depends on the tone you are after and what your amp is doing to your tone when you add delays and such while playing dirty. If you aren’t getting the tone you want from presets, having an FX loop can open up more options. FX loops are a mini-rabbit hole but not the most complex one out there for guitar players. This is really the best rundown that I can suggest. I would only be repeating the main points. Skip ahead a bit to this part of the video:
Understanding FX Loops

The one thing that he doesn’t cover is the concept of putting a preamp pedal in the FX loop which bypasses your amps preamp. So the Joyo American Sound and such pedals can give you a nice range of tones that your amp might not be providing. In this case he wants to chug:
HOW TO CONNECT A CHUG TO THE FX LOOP OF AMPLIFIER

Probably more about product differentiation, can’t sell the expensive model if the cheaper one has all the features

1 Like

True, though could they not have put it in their more expensive thr30ii model and have an extra feature over their rivals?

1 Like

Yes but my point is the top of the range Yamaha THR30ii wireless at around £450 doesn’t have an FX loop.

An excellent reason to upgrade to the upcoming THR30iii

1 Like

:smiley::smiley:Do you have insider information? :smiley::smiley:

Woops, what have I done wrong now? @Richard_close2u @DavidP @LievenDV

I don’t think you can quote a whole post, only partial of a post.

1 Like

@sairfingers Without seeing the whole thread Gordon, my guess in addition to what @Socio said, the reply in which you quoted was the very next reply in the Topic. In which case I think you can only quote a portion. If there are other replies between the reply you want to quote in full and your reply then I think you’ll be able to quote in full

1 Like