Does the App go beyond grade 1 and 2?

Total newbie to all this and also very tech challenged. 1st, the F chord. Is it really all that important. My fingers just aren’t that great at gymnastics. I feel it’s going to beat me. Also, I bought the app but only have in the modules, grades 1 and 2. Are further grades another purchase? Cheers

1 Like

Well yes… it’s a common chord used in thousands of songs you hear every single day. Also, the idea of barre chords… which the F chord is… is also a fundamental part of playing guitar. If you never get comfortable with F then you’re never going to get comfortable with other barre chords either, seriously limiting your scope as a guitar player.

Which is because, as you said yourself, you are a total newbie. Finger strength, dexterity and independence does not come instantly. It takes lots and lots of time and practice. Months or even years, not days and weeks. Practice and you’ll improve. Don’t and you won’t.

If you go to the website you will have access to all grades currently available. The app only has 1 & 2, with no time frame on when further grades will be added.

2 Likes

Hi Cate, welcome to the community! I’m no longer a newbie I guess, but I am a beginner (mid-way thorugh Grade 2). Here are some comments based on my learning experience:

F chord: As @Goffik said, it’s important. That said, it’s not necessarily important today - I didn’t get to it until I’d been playing for several months. And it took several months before I could play it clearly and switch to and from other chords - sometimes. But now I’m playing songs that use it! Most of us struggle with F, but stick with Justin’s guidance (as well as the good guidance from this community) and you’ll get there.

The app: As Goffik also mentioned, it’s only grades one and two. I use the app a lot - it’s portable, and I especially like it for playing songs. But I really like the lessons as they are delivered on the web. You might want to check that out.

Have fun on this journey!

1 Like

Hi Goffik. Yeah, I know. It was more a jest question unfortunately . I know I have to master it but boy, is it a struggle. It’s what broke me 40yrs ago after half dozen lessons. I just don’t want it to now as it’s been a passion of mine to play. I’ll just keep practicing, which I’m committed to. Thank you for you reply. I really appreciate it.

Hi Judy, thank you for replying. I actually started on his YouTube which was recommended by a friend in NZ and then the chap who sold me my first guitar 3 weeks back. It’s been brilliant. I’ve got all the basic chords down pat, except that flipn F but as both yourself and Goffik have said, practice, practice and more practice. Im actually doing about 2+ hours a day now. As for the app, I do enjoy using it also. Unfortunately my IPad is on its last legs so I’m reliant on my phone at the moment, which is pretty difficult but will have to be for now. Thank you again. First time actually finding this community page which is a fabulous way to get one on one help. Thank you

My advice for the F chord is start learning it today! I don’t mean practice it for ages until your fingers hurt just try it a few times and then get on with whatever else you’re doing with your guitar. Do the same each day, just try a few times and you’ll learn it by stealth, building the strength and dexterity required. By the time there’s a song you want to play with it in you’ll have it ready to go. Treat it as a background task rather than spending a lot of time on it and getting frustrated by it.

6 Likes

You said that much better than I did, Matt! I meant that one needn’t master it today.

2 Likes

This helped me while i get stronger.

1 Like

I decided to do just that yesterday. Previously I’d given it a shot and just left it after 30 seconds or so but yesterday I decided to do just that. I spent a good five minutes just trying to manipulate my fingers to reach each string until at least the placement was right. It’s just the rotten first finger, trying to mute the 5th and 6th. But……I’m not giving in. Thank you for the encouragement!!

1 Like

This is the clip I’ve been working on today. Definitely not giving in. Just need the patients.
Thank you

1 Like

That’s great to hear. I don’t think you need to spend a long time each day, five minutes is plenty. I believe that it’s consistency, day after day, that brings the difference. At first you may well see no difference but after a while your fingers will go to the right spot a bit more often and there’ll be small improvements each day.
The next step will be to play it as a chord change. Pick a chord change that actually happens in a song that you would like to learn. For me, that’s Hurt by Johnny Cash, so I’m practicing A minor to F. I think I started learning F at the beginning of January and I’m nearly there just by trying for a few minutes at a time. At the moment it’s still a bit hit and miss whether I get all of the notes ringing nicely but I sometimes they do and I’m happy with that at this stage (but will keep practicing).
Good luck :blush:

1 Like

Starting at F and achieved already. Very envious. So far I’m going reasonably fluid with chords A,D,E,Am,Em,G and I know C but not capable yet going from one chord to C and back again in a nice fluid transition. I don’t mind practicing more, at least for now. I’m enjoying it but once I become less “enthusiastic”, I’ll definitely drop back. It’s the F I’m definitely wanting to conquer so right now, I’m just sitting with the guitar and doing my finger exercises/stretches. It still baffles me how I’m going to get the base padding on my Pinter finger to mute the 1st and 2nd strings. Finding the placement seems so foreign so I’m going to actually have an in person lesson to hopefully get shown how.

Sorry, just a query. I’m useless with technology. Just navigating this community page has stretched the grey matter. Trying to add a photo to my profile. I see it when I sign into my profile but on the main page, it’s just a B. Should be the body of a guitar made into a shelf. Cringy asking but curious. Cheers Matt

1 Like

I’m not sure about the profile picture thing. I feel as though I did the same as you and then some time later the little forum image magically appeared. Perhaps someone can clarify!

One tip I will offer about those 2 thin strings is to use your arm to pull your hand onto the strings rather than trying to squeeze the life out of the neck with your fingers and thumb. For me, this causes much less strain on my fretting hand, less soreness down the side of my finger and the strings ring out more often

1 Like

Thanks re the profile pic. It’s not that big a deal anyway but a little nicer than a B :blush:. And thank you with the advice with the F. I’ll definitely give it a go. Oddly enough, I don’t wrap my hands around or grip the neck at all. I try to keep my fingers, wrist and thumb position just like Justin explains/shows how it should be. Unfortunately my first finger still isn’t wanting to play ball so will definitely try your suggestion. Thank you so much.

So Matt, a few weeks down the track and I managed to ever so slightly hear a slightly acceptable F and it was from doing as you suggested. Pulling my hand into the string. Again, I’ve a long way to go before it’s going to sound like a competent F but regardless, I’m now feeling encouraged enough to think/know that I will get there. Thank you!!!

1 Like

It’s good to that it’s helped and you’re getting there. My journey with F is also very gradual one, a tiny bit better each day. It mostly sounds ok now but I’m not quite fast enough with it so often my first strum after changing to F within a song can sound a bit rough. Pulling with the arm has really helped me and if anything it’s the 3 other fingers that I need to work on.
I’ve been playing Hurt by Johnny Cash since the start of the year which has a Am to F change and this week started on House of the Rising Sun which includes D to F.
It’s a matter of perspective now. Rather than getting frustrated about when it sounds rough, remember that a few weeks ago that you couldn’t play it at all and that there’s plenty of guitarists give up on F so you’re ahead of them!

1 Like

When I first began lessons way back when 17/18 ish, (my teacher taught me to play classically, no strumming), after having amateurishly learned a TMG song, the next one was House of the Rising Sun and it was the F in that which saw me end my guitar playing. Couldn’t get it, so quit it. If only I could have a chat with that teenager.
I’m still a long way before I can incorporate it into a song without sounding like I’ve just run over a cat or five but……one day at a time.
The fact that you can get to play it, whether it sounds great every time, that’s brilliant. I’m going to use your advancement as inspiration. Well done Matt and again, thank you

1 Like