Don McLean concert

Some if you may remember that I said a while back I had a Don McLean concert coming up. Well it was last night and was a celebration of 50 years since the release of American Pie.

He played all his hits plus others from Elvis, Roy Orbison, Ricky Nelson and Buddy Holly.
The finale was an extended version of American Pie with audience participation so you can imagine what that was like.

My wife and I were in the third row centre in a fairly small venue, so I could watch his every chord change! The reason we were right at the front was my wife booked the tickets online and inadvertently bought VIP tickets. So we got a badge, a signed poster (it’s a print!) and a T shirt. :smiley:

12 Likes

Hi Gordon,
That’s a nice mistake from your wife :sweat_smile:…good to read that you had such a nice evening :sunglasses:,
Greetings,…

2 Likes

Fantastic singer-songwriter plus covering some equally fine artists. What a treat Gordon, must’ve been awesome. Now are you inspired to record some songs … the chair, strap, and T-shirt :smile:

Imagine if Buddy Holly had lived, what a loss right at the birth of rock n roll. I’ve just started reading ‘Every night is a Saturday night’, the autobiography of Bobby Keys. He used to hang out with Buddy Holly as a kid as Holly was getting started.

1 Like

What a happy mistake to make!! Sounds a terrific evening Gordon :+1:

1 Like

That picture of the justin song book with the concert pass made me smile.

1 Like

Well I hope you enjoyed the concert, front and centre. Guess all you need to do now is to sign it off and follow those couple of pages of BSB 1 and give us a cool rendition, in your own inimitable style. Keep this to yourself but I look at it now and then and shudder. One day I’ll have to courage to give it a crack, as its nailed to my soul, given my age !! No excuse.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Glad you had a starry starry night mate. I always thought of Don more as a poet, you don’t get many songs these days like the ones he wrote.

1 Like

Absolutely Toby. On the face of it it’s a thump out the strumming, belt out the vocal singalong number. That’s true of the chorus but the verses have difficult phrasing. And remembering all those lyrics……….Mind you Justin has a new lesson out about how to remember stuff! :grinning:

1 Like

Yes I am working towards that lesson in G3, which is a must for my aging brain !!
:sunglasses:

1 Like

This one may just pop up at the next om :wink: Glad you had a great time Gordon.

2 Likes

How long have you been playing Toby.

More years than I care to remember ! :rofl:

Sounds like a great evening, yeah for your wife on her ‘mistake’!!

1 Like

@Mari63
Haha yes. She paid for the tickets more than a year ago then thought no more about it. It wasn’t until recently as the date approached that she looked it up and realised she’d paid a premium price. However, a year down the line the money is long gone and you almost feel the concert is free! :smile:

2 Likes