Down on the Corner (CCR) Oldhead49

Going through You Tube videos, practicing transcribing, I ran into this one by CCR a week or so ago. It reminded me of the last time I was in Manhatten, strolling through Central Park, when we came across a busking band playing this song. They had quite a crowd and everyone was dancing and singing to it, including my young granddaughters. After they finished, the youngest granddaughter came over to me and said “that song makes me feel happy”. I get the same feeling when listening to it. It’s just a fun song. This is one of those loosely knit covers.

Early in the evenin’
Just about supper time
Over by the courthouse
They’re startin’ to unwind

Four kids on the corner
Tryin’ to bring you up
Willy picks a tune out
And he blows it on the harp

Down on the corner
Out in the street
Willy and the poorboys are playin’
Bring a nickel, tap your feet

Rooster hits the washboard
People just gotta smile
Blinky thumps a gut bass
And solos for a while

Poorboy twangs the rhythm out
On his kalamazoo
And Willy goes into a dance
Doubles on kazoo

Down on the corner
Out in the street

Down on the corner
Out in the street

You don’t need a penny
Just to hang around
But if you’ve got a nickel
Won’t you lay your money down?

Over on the corner
There’s a happy noise
People come from all around
To watch the magic boy

Down on the corner
Out in the street

Down on the corner
Out in the street

Down on the corner
Out in the street

Down on the corner
Out in the street

10 Likes

Nice Oldhead! Havnt heard this song in a while and thought you did great with it. I have to agree that its a happy song for sure lol! Nice job! If you dont mind me asking how do you produce such clear recordings?

Wow - Haven’t heard that tune since I was a kid, on my Dad’s Jukebox. Those CCR songs are ingrained in my brain. Love your version.

I love that tune and CCR in general! You do a great job all around with great production. Thank you!

That was one of the songs I played during my guitar time this afternoon!

Great version Dave. Haven’t heard that one in ages! CCR really had some terrific songs and I really enjoyed your take on it. Well done.

Thats great Dave, simple fun song which sparks with joy, what is not to like here?! Awesome!

Thanks, Bytron. Some songs bring me up, and this is one of them. I’ll respond to your question about the clear recordings later, when I have a bit more time. I’m pressed at the moment.

Yeah, an oldie but goody. Thanks for the listen and feedback.

In general I’m a fan of CCR, too. A unique sound. Thanks for the listen and feedback, Mark.

markr31, Thanks for taking a listen. It’s a fun one to play. A little tricky rhythm pattern and some quick changes but once you get it, it’s lots of fun. Hope you post a version.

Thanks, Gordon, much appreciated.

Thank you, Adie. Appreciate you stopping by for a little fun and joy and for your feedback.

Probably my favorite CCR song. Sounded great. Different but the same, if you know what I mean.

Nice production Dave . I love this song and learned the guitar parts a while back but could not for the life of me sing it well. I guess my voice was not suited to it but yours certainly is. Very nice👍

It always makes me happy to hear you sing and play Dave. Thankyou.

That was a very uplifting song Dave. Nice playing and signing.

Hey Dave,
Gosh this one is great and I miss the driving main melody. Simple but catchy for sure! Nice mix, vox and play. Nothing missed on this rendition. Willie and the boys are smiling!

Keep cranking!
LB

Thanks, Mike. Yeah, a good one of theirs for sure. “Different but the same”. Yep, I know exactly what you mean. This one sounds a lot like the one I heard the buskers doing in NYC>

Thanks, Eddie. I love the simple guitar in this. Well, the rhythm can be a little tricky. Really, my voice is not suited for CCR either but let 'er rip. Appreciate the comments.

Maggie, It makes me happy when you stop by. Thanks for the very kind comment.

Thanks, Stefan. I appreciate that feedback.

LBro, You miss the driving main melody I guess because it’s not there; more the buskers take on it. Thanks for the listen and feedback, much appreciated.

1 Like

Hi Dave,

I don’t know many CCR songs (just the really obvious ones).
Cool bass groove.
Love how you’ve got the production sounding so live and in the room.
Top job on the vocals.

Digger

Digger, Thanks for dropping by and the nice feedback. Always appreciate you taking a listen. Waiting on your next solo piece.

Loved it, Dave, a fun song with an infectious groove. What an awesome bass line running through it. The choice to multi-track the chorus vocals worked really well. I really enjoyed that!

Wow, Dave, that was wonderful!
Great job, I listened in one breath. So many wonderful memories from my youth… thank you for this cover! And the song is great itself, I think no one will argue with this.
Leo

Thanks, David. Glad you enjoyed it. Appreciate the comments.
Hope your recovery is coming along as expected.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments, Leo. CCR is a fun band to cover. Glad you liked it.