Down the rabbit hole to my guitar aspiration

So I’m working on learning Runaway Train by Soul Asylum after listening to someone else’s cover on here the other day. I’m on Youtube watching various tutorials. One thing lead to another and I found the answer to the question everyone always asks… What do you want to learn to play? Acoustic? Electric? Lead? Rhythm? Rock? Country? Yada yada yada. I don’t know. I just want to learn to play. Not anymore. This (Jeremy) is what I aspire to. I wonder if Justin has a git gud at this overnight course?..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWO62QSsnEo

Everything about that was fabulous!!! Ms. Lauper would certainly approve. :smiling_face:

1 Like

Well, that’s a great song and performance to aspire to!
It’s not a difficult song as regards the chords in use but that strumming is gonna be hard work to get right!
My advice is to learn it by listening to it over and over until you know it inside out, then take it a few phrases at a time, not moving on until they’re nailed. When you move on make the move by adding extra phrases so you’re consolidating what you’ve already done continuously. Remember practice makes perfect regardless of wheth it’s what it should be or not!

1 Like

Agreed! Here is another take that is really nice just without Jeremy tearing up the acoustic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p36VtNJ-jHQ&list=PLuA3Vg8oltYu1EsSwtJO1zOZ4RJYMOjXb&index=70

1 Like

It’s not just the song for me to aspire to but more being able to shred the acoustic like Jeremy; to take great songs like that and make them equally as great if not more so with just an acoustic. I love all kinds of music but I think the simplicity and intimacy of the acoustic done in a way that could rock a packed stadium is what I most enjoy.

I’ll definitely have to break something like this down and work on it bit by bit to ever get it. That’s what I’m doing with Runaway Train currently. As for this song, I would probably have to go with simpler, basic chords and strumming for my current skill level.

1 Like

I do like this version as well, but there was something about seeing those two burly guys playing and singing the heck out of the song that gave me one of those my-face-hurts smiles.

1 Like

Agreed. Watching Jeremy tear up that acoustic with those big fingers was quite a treat.

1 Like