Driving Home For Christmas by Chris Rea Lesson

Learn to play Driving Home For Christmas by Chris Rea on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Driving Home For Christmas by Chris Rea | JustinGuitar

It’s that time of year and I am learning this song but not sure of Justin’s rhythm pattern at about 4.35 in the video.
I think he gives it as DUMDUDD, given it is a 4:4 does it divide up for each beat as follows
DU M- DU DD or am I missing something?
Michael

The DUM is a triplet. The count would be 1 trip let 2 U 3 4. Strumming patterns like this are better to be felt rather than counted. You’ve heard the saying being in the groove or playing in the pocket. This is a good example.

1 Like

Thanks Rick @stitch
That makes sense.
Sort of aware of triplets based on the blues lessons in Grade 2 but don’t think I would have worked that’s what it was.
Michael

Hi @MAT1953 ,

I am reluctant to disagree with @stitch, who has a lot more experience than I, but in watching the video, I’m not hearing the triplet. Watching Justin’s hand motion, it seems to me that this is a 16th note strumming pattern:

1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a
D  UX D  UD D

I agree with @stitch, though, that’s its best to just get the rhythm in your ears (or mabye in your bones) and then reproduce it on the guitar.

1 Like

John @jjw
It gets more complicated, I think I will go with what Justin says latter in the video, a pattern of DUDUDUDU which I am very comfortable with and comeback at a later date when my skills have improved.
Thanks for your input
Michael

Indeed, it does look tricky. Not just getting the rhythm right, but getting that mute in there, too. Well, it is a Grade 5 song, after all.

(Sounds pretty good, though :slight_smile: )

1 Like