Dro_1 - June 2022 - Hey Hey + Layla + Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out

Sounded good sir! You just picked up a new subscriber. No one here (that plays this good) should go through life with only one subscriber! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nicely done!

1 Like

Good job :+1::+1:

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:
A fine performance, Sandro, I thoroughly enjoyed that.

I can’t offer you any specific (and accurate with confidence) feedback on the playing of the solos, thinking specifically about the timing and feel, with the intention to help you to continue to improve your playing. You are in point of fact, playing above my play-grade.

That said, I did have a feeling that the intro solo was played through in one long burst and my memory/sense of it was of there being a couple of pauses here and there to take a metaphorical breath, but I could be totally wrong.

All that aside, it was excellently done.

1 Like

@adi_mrok thanks man, your comment is much appreciated. Yeah, I think backing tracks and/or vocals had been mentioned to help fill in some gaps… but since I suck at the latter, then I might try to get into the habit of searching for backing tracks for certain songs. I remember last year there used to be a nice BT website with a huge catalogue, but it seems to have been shutdown and the other sites are kind of hit and miss. I’ll have a look around though. cheers

@TheMadman_tobyjenner cheers Toby. I sort of had a brief look at the main part previously, but left it on the to-do list quite a while ago.
However, recently I’ve been trying out some improv licks on-and-off since I checked out the blues Grade2 module the other week. And because I think copying solos is a bit easier for me to do at this stage rather than improvisations, I just figured I’ll go back to do the Layla solo and finally make it to the end of the song.

@CT thanks for the support mate, especially for being my first ever subscriber :rofl:
Joining this community last month was the only reason I started posting anything on youtube, so I’m glad it was someone from here that broke the duck. I haven’t actually told anyone IRL that I’m uploading stuff, but I might eventually let a few mates and relos know down the track to take a bit of a look if they want.

@TheCluelessLuthier @half_step thanks for the comments guys.

@davidP Cheers for the compliment and feedback David. Maybe after hitting the D note on the G string I could’ve let it “breath” for another split sec or so… if that was the part you were thinking of. I’m eyeing off another song to try with a little solo in it, so I’ll see how that one goes. After that, I might try to move away from clapton stuff for a little while :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is another one that I tried out, which has a little solo in it. I kind of fluffed it up a bit, and my playthrough is slightly “ringy” at times… but I’ll just lie and say that I did it on purpose to add some character to it :slight_smile:

I’ve skipped the piano non-vocal section that comes right after the solo, since I would’ve just been repeating the exact same chord progression that’s already used all the way through and sound the same anyway.
So in case anyone wants to try hum/sing along to it, you’ll have to jump straight into the chorus as soon as the solo finishes. You might also notice that my last little outro riff at the end of the song comes in slightly too early, which will most likely overlap with the final word that is sung.
Feedback and general comments are welcome as always. Cheers

22 Likes

That was terrific Sandro. You must be really close to nailing the original. Well done. I thought your rhythm and timing were first class.

You raise the point that you didn’t play the piano solo part as it was the same progression as the rest of the song.
This raises another issue. If someone is playing a non vocal version of a song, whether fingerstyle or strumming, is it necessary/should they play all the verses and choruses?
Answers on a postcard……

3 Likes

Very nice playing Sandro, to me you absolutely nailed it! Excellent, enough said!

1 Like

Another easy on the ear recording of a classic song, Sandro. A fluent performance and well on your way on this one. I think there are places where the notes are a little muffled and would like some of the bass notes to be louder and sustain a little longer. That said I think we’ve spoken about the challenges of the bass notes before and the recording with a phone (I assume) perhaps doesn’t help in terms of mic sensitivity and dynamic range.

An interesting question @sairfingers and I guess irrespective of what is recorded, the listener can listen to as many verses and choruses as they wish.

1 Like

Fantastic Sandro, love it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nicely done Sandro. You have nailed this and your finger picking is impressive… an area that I myself struggle with.

1 Like

Really nice Sandro :clap:

1 Like

You’ve nailed it Sandro. I had to laugh at the eye roll. If you let your audience know you’re not pleased, most wouldn’t notice unless you point it out :smiling_face:

1 Like

Wow :clap::clap::clap:

Really nice job! Sounds really great

1 Like

Sounds awesome Sandro! Pretty complex song played well.

On the abridging songs in instrumental format - my wife likes to listen to instrumental arrangements of pop songs on Spotify when relaxing, and I’ve noticed this is super common. They often skip verses / choruses so it doesn’t get too repetitive. So, do whatever you like I reckon :grinning:.

2 Likes

@sairfingers thanks for the kind words Gordon. Since I only have the sound of my guitar to work with at the moment, it just felt a bit repetetive for me when adding it in and I thought it might have gotten a bit boring for the listener.
p.s. I’ve learnt a new expression today “answer on a postcard” - I had to lookup what it meant :slight_smile:

@jkahn cheers JK. Good to know that it’s a common thing, and not just me doing a half-baked version. I just thought it was non essential for my specific playthrough and didn’t want to bore you guys too much.

@davidP cheers David. The bass strings on my guitar tend to be less pronounced at the best of times. If I strike them with extra force to make them ring louder, it sometimes kind of throws off my subtle style of playing a bit. But I’ll experiment with that some more and see if I can find a more middle ground.

@laser_171825 thank you Malcolm. I was mainly using this blues song as part of practicing short solos, but didn’t realise it would also be handy for finger picking too.
I’ve actually started learning a more fingerstyle focussed song yesterday, which I put on my “to-do” list when I saw someone post it last week. I find that breaking up tricky parts into even smaller sections helps when I’m struggling to get something… so I’ll probably be doing a lot of that in the next week or so with this new one.

@batwoman Thanks Maggie. haha yes, I was on my way to hitting the wrong string/note which put me off beat for a moment… but then I made a split decision to just keep going on with it as if it were only a figment of my imagination :roll_eyes:

@DarrellW @liaty @notter @rumil Thanks for the positive comments guys, much appreciated.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m showing my age by using that expression. Youngsters are probably saying “what’s a postcard?” :smiley:

2 Likes

That was really well done Sandro. Well done, you’re definitely not down and out. You’re on the way up!

Interestingly, Tommy Emmanual uses a thumb pick but usually palm mutes to get the sound he wants. He also play a lot of songs without the thumb pick using the flesh of his thumb to get a softer, gentler sound. In one of his videos he made a statement that may be of interest “In the Robert Johnson blues style or Eric Clapton - you can see that he doesn’t use a thumbpick. What he does is gets his thumb under the string and pops it out and give it that funky kind of edge. So that’s another way of using your thumb.”

1 Like

Answers on an instagram DM…

1 Like

@socio thanks for the compliment James. I tend to mostly use the flesh of my thumb on the thicker strings, but I might test out my nail a bit more to try get a slightly different sound out of them. cheers

:rofl:

1 Like