Dynamic Improvements

Dynamics refer to how loudly or softly you play throughout a song. Learn to do that well and take your playing to the next level!

View the full lesson at Dynamic Improvements | JustinGuitar

Or verse and chorus can be reversed in loudness. Just listen to The Unforgiven by Metallica. Which shows how amazing music is. Breaking the ā€œrulesā€ is good, too.

1 Like

Hello @darthktulu and welcome to the community.

Youā€™re right.
If it sounds good it is good and the ā€˜rulesā€™ are loose.

Cheers
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

1 Like

Hi Justin, thatā€™s interesting. One example came to mind , itā€™s Heroes (D Bowie), the Reality Tour version of 2004 which have a really great progression which end up as an anthem - great for a alcoholic couple song. I love it, what a genius.

nonetheless; I think you didnā€™t cover yet in the beginer course 1 the change of beats . I really struggle with this. How do you play evenly softer or stronger, or how do you mark beat 2 and 4 for example. WHatā€™s the right technics? thx

1 Like

Was watching Justinā€™s Uke for kids video this week and noticed how he uses dynamics to keep children and adults into the music - lowering the volume. Interesting brain stuffā€¦

1 Like

Nice one Justin. This advice comes at the right time. in the Grade 1. Thank you.

1 Like

Thatā€˜s an absolute great lesson. Thanks a lot for it :star_struck:. Nevertheless, it will take some time to put the theory into practice. As a beginner, Iā€˜m quite happy, when I manage to play the chords more of less perfectly and am able to stick to a constant strumming pattern :blush:. But I look forward to experimenting with different dynamics :grinning:.

2 Likes

Great lesson Justin, really turned my playing around. I was wondering is that one technique called where you hammer on notes during the chords, or pull one off and place it back in the same place, that is like the part where it adds different times. If anyone knows the name please let me know or where I can learn this, thanks once again, cheers!

1 Like

@RickCast If I understand you correctly you are asking about accenting the 2 and 4 in strumming.
If so, Justin has lessons introducing that in Module 14 - the backbeat hit.
I hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

@Ironmanfan
You will need to look someay ahead of your current level to see a lesson on this - grade 5 folk fingerstyle hammer-ons and flick-offs.
I hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

This tutorial has been significantly improving my understanding of songs structure and eventually making one myself =)

1 Like

Thank you Justin! You are such a great teacher and these lessons help like you wouldnā€™t believe! Keep it up! =)

1 Like

There is a time for everything.

I watched this lesson a long time ago and did not make much of it. I think my abilities were so basic that it did not feel applicable or I did not really understand or believe that how much of a difference variation between sections could make.

I watched it again yesterday and carefully applied it to the song Iā€™m working on. I really feel it made a huge difference in how listenable the song is.

I wonder what I would make of it a few years down the line. Would probably make even more sense. One to come back to.

3 Likes

Gratz to your guitar journey and good luck! You wouldnt know whats coming ahead =)

2 Likes

Adjusting the power of your play at different times, reminds me of that scene in AIRPLANE when the nun is playing that song and knocks out the girlā€™s IV over enthusiastically. LOL.

1 Like

Would someone be able to explain to me mechanically at around the 2:45-2:50 mark? It looks like Justin is strumming but thereā€™s notes that are accented in them. Is he hitting strings differently? Is he changing chords and Iā€™m just not noticing?

1 Like

Heā€™s doing some embellishments, namely hitting individual notes and using hammer-ons and (possibly) pull-offs.

1 Like

So the strumming pattern should change per section and the sections last bar should also change?

@neonguitarist I ran a Vintage Club session on this recently ā€¦ https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/vintage-clubs-8-rhythm-for-advancing-beginners-cla-032 that may offer some insight. :slight_smile: