Ear Training App

Excuse my ignorance but I purchased the Ear Training App and I for the life of me can’t work out exactly what Im supposed to do. Obviously it plays an interval and Im supposed to guess what it is, but where do I click for the different intervals. Is there an option for an Octave? Do I select the root note at any stage or just the other two. Can someone please enlighten me because Im using it as part of my practice schedule and I really have no idea how it works. Thanks

1 Like

Hi! You have to click on HOME, in the upper left corner of the screen, then you click on Settings and from there you can choose the intervals you’re currently practicing, also octaves🙂

1 Like

Thank you Silvia. I cant work out how to add an octave, but what youve said made me realise im on level 1 and only working on perfect 4ths and 5ths so thats made it a lot easier to work with. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I was like a headless chicken before. Cheers!

2 Likes

The best way for me was to have the ‘game mode’ set to training rather than levels and then add one interval at a time,

I went in order from the module to start with as I learnt the reference songs

1 Like

Thanks so much Dave, that is way better. I finally understand what is going on. Cheers mate!

2 Likes

Please excuse my ignorance. - but what do I do to “answer”. For example - I am in Training mode, I have both Sound and Answer input set to guitar, I have selected only unison interval and note steps ascending. - so I go “back”. My phone screen shows the R root symbol on fret 3 A string. (C note).
I press the play button and hear 2 tones
NOW what do I do? I
Again - sorry. and Thanks

Hi Frank, welcome to the community.

With only unison selected, you won’t have much of a challenge. To ‘answer’ you just have to select the ‘R’ to indicate its the root note I.E. same note played twice.

Back in settings try adding perfect 5th and maybe perfect 4th.

Now you should have ‘R’ ‘4’ and ‘5’ as possible answers :slightly_smiling_face:

Add more when you can tell the difference easily. I just add one more at a time.

1 Like

Thanks !

1 Like

Hi

I’ve had the app for a while and have yet to really give it a try. I think I understand the concept of intervals.

I assume that I should start in Training Mode and go 1 interval at a time (only 2 notes)
Root + Minor 2nd
then
Root + Major 2nd
etc…

I think my big question is - What notes am I hearing?
There is no indication after I “guess” :slightly_smiling_face: the answer whether I just heard an A, B, C#, Eb, or whatever and where the note(s) might be on the fretboard.

Isn’t it also important to know what notes I am hearing?

Thanks
Andrew

In the Ear training course Justin suggests starting with root and 5th for a week and the 4th. The 5th being a strong tone and more easier to recognise. Follow his lead and you’ll pick things up quicker.
:sunglasses:

Andrew @Andrewjm
I sort of agree with you it would be nice to know what the actual notes were and which octave but that is not really what the app is about.
I have given the app a rest at present as I score so badly and gone back to playing the intervals on the guitar.
Michael

You’ll have to give the Note Trainer app a try :wink:

@MAT1953 and Andrew, like Toby says start with only a couple intervals that are more recognisable. A must part of the process for me is having some reference songs (or notes from) that I know well.

3 Likes

Iron Maiden Dance of Death Intro a whole host of 1 5s up and down the neck. A sure fire way to get that tonal difference embedded. Oh and great fun to play :wink:

1 Like

Dave @liaty
As far as ear training goes I have gone back to basics, of listening to the intervals on the guitar and starting to sing them which is also is what I have just started to do in my singing lessons. Also in the process of deciding what songs out of the list Justin suggests.
I do have note trainer app which I have used to learn the notes on the fretboard and nearly always score very well, but I don’t generally have the volume turned, I perhaps need to do that.
Michael

1 Like

Singing the intervals sounds like a great way to learn!

Yeah, they have to be songs you know without thinking for the references. When I’m practicing it’s “OK, that’s more like ‘Oh when the saints’ than ‘Auld Lang Syne’“

Hi

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I also have the Note Trainer.

The functionality of the Ear Trainer is still a little confusing to me.
It’s a little weird to figure out how to reset the scoring %. There is no obvious “reset” button.
And, I don’t really see what the difference is if I set the steps to Ascending or Descending.
It seems to play/work the same.

I can score pretty well with just the Unison-Minor Second, for example.
How long do I need to stay on that interval before I move to the next Unison-Major Second interval? 10 Note Pairs? 20? 30?
And, then when do I move to using 3 (or more) notes and then actually try the Levels Game Mode?

Also, thanks for the other tips and links about the songs.

Andrew

To Reset go into How To Use then hit the hamburger menu - 3 bars.
Select Statistics, the Reset (top right)

I have just restarted using it again for the umpteenth time and remembering where the reset is located is a right pita !! Yes it would be nice for it to be a little more prominent but you are resetting the stats/results so I suppose you could call it logical. But I can never recall where the heck it is !
Maybe writing this may reinforce the location for the next reset ! :rofl:

Thanks, I see it now. Yes, it seems it would be better placed in the settings cog rather than the bars menu.

Anyway, getting back to using it.
I guess I will just stay in the Training Mode and do 2 intervals at a time ascending.
I guess if I can get 80%+ for 20??? intervals, then that is enough to move on to the next 2-interval sequence. I’m not sure…
Then, after 2 intervals try and do 3 intervals in the Training Mode. Again, not sure…

It would be nice for Justin to do a video lesson on the app and add to the Ear Training course. I’m sure his to-do list is already very long :slight_smile:

Andrew