Easy method for scales and modes (not clickbait)

Don’t know if this has been posted before, apologies if so.

This is a genuine method that is so helpful and useful, also easy to understand. If scales and learning the fretboard is a dark place you’d rather avoid this will turn the lights on.

This is all good if your learning the 3NPs method but does nothing for the CAGED system Justin teaches.

He does explain the term UP very well, a lot of beginners find it hard to think of pitch and not direction.
He also does a good job of explaining the whole 3NPS with it’s 7 patterns and modes but it’s going to confuse the hell out of someone who just learnt the Pattern 1 of the minor pentatonic scale.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s defo for ‘full’ scales. The other videos in the series are even more helpful once you have this basic concept.

Thanks, @purplecat for that link. I do practice the cage system for months now and like the way how it shows me the scale around the chords. However, I still feel kind of lost, when I try to spontaneously play over backing tracks.
I watched the first video, understood the logic and instantly felt more save on the fretboard. What a great experience!
Now I believe that one should learn and practice both - the CAGED and the 3NPS. Different people might prefer one or the other.

1 Like