Eccleshall January Payday by Roger Wilson, Follow the Heron

Hi,
Not sure of your equipment or signal chain, so I can’t be specific. But generally an AI (Audio Interface) has a volume knob for the cans (headphones), separate from the the input channel(s). Typically, your final output though, would be set in your DAW or whatever your mixing with. Lets us know more of the way your recording and maybe we can help more. Google is your friend on terms you don’t know or are fuzzy on. Keep it simple though in that you have input, mixing and output adjustments. There is a lot in-between but that is the top down view.

All the best!,
LB

Thanks LB,
It’s a simple set up but I’m not sure how to control the output.
The condenser mic goes into the single channel on the interface - this is then connected to my ipad ,which is the camera, directly by a USB c lead
There is a headphone volume on the interface . However the input level LEDs on the headphone output are high even hen the headphone volume is zero . The volume control on the ipad also doesn’t affect these LED levels.
So the two things I don’t know are:

1. What governs the input signal to the headphone out put
  2. What governs the overall dB of the finished video on the iPad.
    Do you think it is purely the gain on the mic, or do you think there might be something else that I’m missing?
    All ideas welcome!
    Thanks
    Ruaridh

Hi,
I have avoided Macs (iPads) for over 30 years. Fine machines, I just don’t support them. You leave no brand names or models of the Mic, AI or if you know of Garage Band. Your iPad should have Garage Band preloaded on it? You could or perhaps are running your AI I/O (Input/Output) through that?

For specifics on 1. & 2., I would fire up a Google Search. Pump in those brand/model names, your question(s) and hunt for info. YouTube is your friend. It has a ton of stuff on Garage Band. You may find through search there, specifics on your very questions…

I hope the above helps and though you say it is a simple set up, the devil is in the details.

All the best!
LB

1 Like