Electric guitar for kid. Is full size an issue?

Hi everyone!

My nephew recently expressed an interest on the electric guitar.

Im thinking of gifting him one but i have several thoughts. His age is 7.

First of all, is a full scale guitar a problem? By full scale I mean either 25.5" or 24.75".

Secondly, I’ll probably go for a fixed bridge but I was thinking if a tunomatic one would be an issue.

Finally, and comparing apples with oranges, of the above two points aren’t going to be a problem, would you prefer a cheaper bundle (i.e. Thomann offers) or a guitar for the same price as the bundle (and his father can get him the amp :joy:)?

I’d like to place the order fairly soon so if anyone is a night owl or happens to be in a day timezone, I’d appreciate your input!
And apologies for the short notice!

Cheers!

I have kids a similar age, who sometimes muck around on my guitars (but don’t play). And also a friend who’s kid started learning guitar around that age.

I would go a 3/4 size guitar. Their hands are small and struggle to physically fret chords, or even just fret single notes. Full size guitars are just huge for them.

I’d also recommend in person teaching at that age. Pretty hard for them to self learn.

4 Likes

Thank you JK! I managed to keep a cool head and not pull the trigger last night!

I think you are right though. Perhaps it would be even better if we visited a store.

Thanks for the input!

2 Likes

Hi there,

I don’t think a Tune-o-matic bridge is more cumbersome than, say, fiddling with the bridge pins on an acoustic guitar. This should not be a dealbreaker in my opinion. However, the weight of the guitar may also be something that could determine how comfortable it is to play for a child.

1 Like

Thanks József!
That’s quite important too.
I’m looking into 3/4 electric guitars now.

1 Like

I’ve just been thinking, and if I wanted to buy an electric guitar for a kid, I’d also think along the lines of some smaller/lighter combo amp and wouldn’t go overboard with the effects either.

No, that, I wouldn’t do! Haha
Just some simple amp with clean/overdrive.

I’m just so confused.

Thomann has short scale guitars but it’s something i know virtually nothing about.
They’re in different tuning as well! I suppose that’s normal but does that help a kid learn? :exploding_head:

Honestly, I’ve never played short-scale or reduced-size instruments, so I don’t have hands-on experience with them. I’ve just done a Google search and there are some 3/4 electric options, though most of them come in bundles with other accessories:

https://www.guitaraficionado.com/34-electric-guitar-small-hands/
https://audioassemble.com/best-3-4-electric-guitar/
https://www.kidsguitarworld.com/34-guitar/

If it will not be a surprise gift, maybe it would be worth taking your nephew to a few guitar stores to look around and try some instruments. Probably you could call the stores beforehand to see if they have anything at all to offer or any advice to give. And then a setup would be needed anyway to customize the relief, action, etc.

Not trying to put a damper on your generous gift But
A musical instrument is the worst surprise gift a person can give to another person.
I agree with Joxsef, if you’re going to buy a guitar for your nephew take him guitar shopping. Set a max price and look at all the options in that price range. I’ve see lots of small kids play full size guitars (both Acoustic and Electric) with no problem. I’ve also seen parents destroy a child’s dream by buying some piece of :poop: to save money or because they thought the child to small.

Has your nephew played any of your guitars or any guitar? Have you thought about loaning him one of yours with the condition if he practices and learns some chords you will buy him his own guitar? Just food for thought.

2 Likes

You definitely aren’t. The feedback is always meant well and as such, is much appreciated!

That’s a good idea actually but unfortunately not. He lives in Eindhoven and I live in London. Id happily give him one of my guitars but I only have to and one is heavy even for me and the other is a delicate neckthrough :sweat_smile:

I’m going to see him this weekend so I’ll try to get him to a store and see how he handles various sizes. I think, and based on your comments in this thread, that’s probably the best option.

1 Like

What is the budget you are thinking of?

I would honestly steer clear of 3/4 - kiddies - bundles etc. They will not be made with any sort of quality control or attention to detail, will likely play badly, not stay in tune and be a huge deterrent and obstacle to learning. There are options if we know the price point.

1 Like

Give him a budget, get his parents to take him to a local guitar shop and chose one within the budget.

Remember, he will need an amp too.

Cheers,

Keith

Potentially consider a 3/4 nylon string acoustic as an alternative. Easy to play and it’s just an instrument rather than settings and dials.

~150£ give or take, preferably take :joy:
That would be either for a cheap bundle (like this Harley Benton DC-200 CH Student Serie Bundle – Thomann UK) or guitar only and his parents can get him the amp. The ibanez gio series is about that much…

@Majik that’s an option too. I’d love to see his face receiving a gift though. Perhaps a bit old school at that but under the circumstances it might be the only option.

JK would this be an option? Still full size but parlor which I understand is quite small?

Seeing the nut with it’s about 10mm wider than an electric so I guess it would still be too big.

I wouldn’t even bother looking at nylon string guitars if your nephew has his heart set on an electric. Kids that age are very fickle when it comes to what they want. He will not see a nylon string guitar as a guitar if his hero (which could be you) doesn’t play a nylon string guitar.

This is what I meant when I posted

Even if the guitar is high quality if the Child doesn’t see it as what he wants it will collect dust.
It’s like putting a kid in dance class when they really want to play Football.

1 Like

Exactly this. That Pedal Show recently did a video on Dan’s son wanting to get an electric guitar.

Watch from 7:07 “The two most important factors”

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Loved that comment! The more we talk about it and I think on it, the more I lean towards just getting him to a music store…

Thanks for that Keith! I’ll watch it now!

1 Like

Yeah I agree with that, having kids of that age. I suggested looking at a 3/4 nylon because that’s what my friends kid (now 9) plays. And it’s less complicated.

The reality is that many, many things a kid wants at this age get mucked around with for a day or two then end up in the cupboard. Expect that as the default. Even if it’s the thing they asked for every day.

And the inverse is that with solid parental support and encouragement, even things they’re not keen on at first can become the thing they love to do. With my kids: swimming, basketball, reading, piano. Didn’t want to do any of those at first, now they love it but STILL need pushing.

That’s why I recommended in person lessons. And you’d need the parental support but I assume that is there.

This is more about kids than guitars.

1 Like

I don’t know that guitar sorry, but I am in favour of only buying guitars you’ve touched - the music shop option like the others suggested.