Electric Guitar slips on leg

I been playing on a dreadnought acoustic guitar for 3 months. I just bought an electric guitar and no matter what it slips on my leg to where the frets start to face me. I tried using Justin how to hold guitar but it’s not working. Should I use a strap? Some have said get some kind of non slip material and put on leg under the guitar. I will say the EG feels so small compared to what I have been playing but it’s so nice playing the chords.

1 Like

Which guitar?

Some are easier to hold than others

A strap may help

1 Like

hi

A strap would help
Have you tried.a foot stool ?

1 Like

Definitely get a strap otherwise there’s always going to be some part of you that’s hanging on to the guitar which will either affect your fretting and/or strumming/picking. Yes it’s possible to play without one but it’s just one more thing to contend with if you don’t

1 Like

The EG I bought is a Ibanez GRG131DX So nothing out of the ordinary shape wise. I will try a strap or footstool.

Will grab a strap. Didn’t think I would need one right away since I see Justin playing without one. I am no Justin. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will try a strap. See how that goes. Thanks!

Had a similar problem now cured with —a small bean bag

1 Like

To be fair I suspect that most have tried playing without a strap (me included) thinking that if I never play standing up then why would I need one but particularly while we’re learning, anything that offers a little stability has to be a good thing

Honestly it takes time getting comfortable holding a new guitar esp such a different one.

It’s a strat style so should be fine

1 Like

and the right neck angle

1 Like

Hi Rendar.
I sit for all of my playing and I always use a strap.
I have it so the bottom of the guitar is just touching my leg.
stops any slipping/fear of droping it and also makes my left arm/ hand to move around the fret board easier as I dont have to “hold” the neck.
Just my opinion, I’m sure you will find what works best for you.

cheers

Mike

3 Likes

100% this. Means your left hand (if you’re a righty) can move more freely

1 Like

I agree. I think back in many things that I found really difficult during this journey so far. Many of them just aren’t issues anymore and many more issues keep coming!

3 Likes

+1 for a strap. It gives you much more stability even when sitting down. Once you get into playing barre chords it gives you something to ‘press’ against and helps considerably. Buy one with a suede underside/lining so it doesn’t slip against your shirt.

3 Likes

I had this a lot, but found that most of it was due to my poor posture (slouching back, craning my neck to see the frets…). By all means, try a strap to see if it helps, but it’s still worth learning to play it without it slipping. If you are sitting upright with a 90 degree bend to your thigh, it should be possible to balance the guitar on the lower edge without it slipping forwards (or backwards), without using either hand, maintaining the position with the inside of your upper (strumming) arm.

1 Like

Straps are good for sure.

Check this out too … https://www.guitarslipnomore.com/

1 Like

I found that poor posture was the main cause of this and I also had the same problem. However I found that putting my iPhone in the right pocket of my jeans made a little ledge that stopped the guitar slipping forward. I no longer have this problem and I think improving posture was the main thing that helped.

Even with a strap, my Telecaster Thinline wanted to neck dive. I bought a leather strap and that solved the issue. Unlike a cloth strap, the leather had more grip to it. With the weight of a solid body electric, I’m sure it is hard to balance on your lap consistently

Hard to say without seeing you. Could you film yourself? There might be an easy fix. Or not :innocent:

1 Like