End of the Line by The Traveling Wilburys Lesson

Learn to play End of the Line by The Traveling Wilburys on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at End of the Line by The Traveling Wilburys | JustinGuitar

Great lesson, appreciate it much. However the intro “riff” chords aren’t crystal clear to me, except the “D-fingering” ones. I don’t get the 10’th and 12’th fret chords. I’d appreciate the fingering for them. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Larry I’m by no means an expert but I think I know enough to be able to answer you.

At the 10th fret you have basically what is called a triad. In this case the top part of the D barre chord. The D chord is normally fretted as 10 12 12 11 10 10 (D A D F# A D). If you drop the D A D bit on the 6th, 5th and 4th string, you still have all the notes you need to play a D chord - just 3 notes is all you need (“triad”).

The twelvth fret chord Justin plays here is x x 0 12 12 12 (x x D G B E). The G B E are the notes in the Em chord. So this is just one other way to play an Em (with a D base).

Hope that helped!

cheers.

2 Likes

Thanks Gertvr, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up, cheers!

Edit: also the chord at the 12th fret is a triad of course as it consists of the top 3 notes of the Em barre chord in this case.

1 Like

Thanks so much for showing us how this great song should be played Justin. I have been trying to play and sing along with it for a while now, but you’ve just made it all so much simpler for me. Cheers :+1:

1 Like

Thanks so much Justin for making a lesson of this song, and it’s so cool to me that I can learn in in Grade 1 (once I learn the G chord). I love this song so much I can easily see myself trying the more advanced things once I get there, (yeah, it’ll be a while, but something to look forward to!)

As Justin says in the lesson, there’s something for everyone in this song; all levels of players. I’m working on it now, and I find myself using several different strumming patterns in different parts of the song. That outro is still tricky to do at speed, and I can’t use my acoustic guitar for this song because it’s not a cutaway, but it sounds fine on my electric.

Thanks for this one, Justin. Since I only play for myself, I look for songs that are fun to play, and this definitely qualifies.

Hi,
thanks for breaking this song down in a way it can be played on different levels.
The bass line between the sections doesn’t seem to be that difficult but I couldn’t figure it quite out from Justin’s video. Does anyone have an idea?
It’s pure fun playing the songs you fell in love with when they got released way back then.

Cheers

Hi Tom / @gazzadiyaudio -

If you mean the bit at about 13.50, then it sounds like this to me. He’s playing the A string at the 2nd fret with his thumb and it sounds like there’s a bit a palm muting going on too.

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 15.57.59

Hi Paul / @mathsjunky

thank you so much. This is exactly the bass line I was looking for.
I would agree that there is some palm muting or releasing of pressure on the string via the thumb.
You have made my day!!!

Cheers Tom

1 Like