Enter Sandman, Master of Puppets & Zombie Ritual - My first AVOYP

Thanks Brendan!

Yeah, I really wanted to play them all through in one hit, as I guess that’s what I’d do when playing live, although means having to accept the “warts and all” like you say! :joy:

Really great to hear you’ve found RLS has got better over time. I think I will now keep regularly recording myself to help normalise the process. I’ve got it virtually at a click of a button now so no reason not to I suppose.

Thanks again, really appreciate you taking the time to check this out! Cheers! :metal:

Yeah mate. Makes me want to swear with raging positivity.

Great stuff. Love the set up too.

The more heavy players here the better imo. Noise it’s where it’s at!!!

1 Like

Thanks Rhys! Appreciate you checking 'em out! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:
I’m with you buddy, bring the noise! :metal::confounded::sweat_smile:

Great stuff mate!
I’m a big metallica fan myself and hope to be able to play through Master of puppets myself one day but my downpicking isn’t quite there yet haha.
Rock on and hope to see more in the future :metal:

1 Like

Amazing work Jeff. All 3 songs are awesome and you sound awesome playing them! I particularly liked the tones you’re getting. What are you using?

1 Like

Thanks @subject_rc !! Yeah so many great 'tallica tunes eh?! Can’t wait to hear you crank one out on an AVOYP too! I loved your Nothing Else Matters intro vid, definitely bucket loads of talent there buddy! :metal:

1 Like

Thanks so much @alexisduprey !! Really appreciate your kind words mate!

Cool! Glad you liked it! I’m using the following setup:
Guitar = Solar GC1.6A FAB
Amp = Katana Artist Mk I
Tone = (see below)
Amp is direct USB into my PC using the “Blend” Line Out feel with the Modern Cabinet resonance (if that matters?) and capturing that, along with desktop audio and camera (Logitech C930e) in OBS.

TONES:
Master of Puppets and Zombie Ritual rhythm tone is a preset I made when messing around with the Metal Zone in the Boss Kantana Studio:

The clean at start of Sandman and interlude in Puppets is a preset I downloaded (maybe one of Justins?):

The rhythm for Sandman and solo (attempt! :joy: ) for Puppets is also a preset I downloaded from the Boss Tone Central (under “Metal Collection 1”):

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Wow!! Terrific stuff!!

That was really great and loved the pinch harmonics on the Enter The Sandman riff. With Master of Puppets, I don’t feel I could do it any better at all.

I’m in love with the tone you have. Great distortion and is far less muddy than the one I have with my guitar and amp sim. Could you please share your setup, plz? :pray:

Keep up rocking and the great work :metal::guitar:

Edit: I didn’t see your previous reply where you share your setup, soz :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much Edgar! Glad you liked the tone and thanks for picking up on the pinched harmonics in the Sandman riff! I found that it was a great one for practicing those so tried to chuck a couple in, when I could get them to work! :sweat_smile:

Yeah, hopefully the above helps. I didn’t mention that my guitar goes into a Tuner > Drop pedal > Looper before the amp (although the looper is sometimes in the effects loop too) so there is a bit of noise in the chain (which I plan to figure out soon!) therefore I have a bit of noise reduction enabled on the Katana given all the gain I’ve added which I feel also helps to tighten up the tone a bit I think? Well at least it does to me, I’m quite new to all this and need to figure a lot out but that’s part of the fun right! :joy:

Thanks again and keep rocking too! :metal:

1 Like

Yep, the pinched harmonics works great in that moment. I saw you and thought. Oh! Why it didn’t occur to me for my cover? :rofl:

Anyway, yours sound better than my guitar. By the sound of your harmonics, I guess it works better with active pickups. My poor guitar has 2 passive humbuckers and doesn’t have that much sustain and attack

1 Like

Thanks Edgar! I had missed your cover so just went back and checked it out! Super impressive!!! :metal::metal::metal: You’re a lot tighter and cleaner in your playing. Control over your fingers is night and day compared with mine! :joy: I really need to work on that!
When you mentioned active pickups, I had a re-look at the link to my guitar that I posted above and realised that I grabbed the wrong one! Mine is the slighter cheaper one with passive Duncan Solar pickups:

I got that on purpose as I didn’t want active pickups, personally I find them just an extra hassle! :joy: But you are correct that they would probably help with things like pinched harmonics :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh, I see, In that case, my pick-ups are plain bad :joy:. Or at least I have to play a bit more with the setup. I like the rock sound I have, but with the full distorsion I find it a bit off.

But I have what I paid for, so I cant complain much. Maybe in a year or two, I’ll try to upgrade the pick-ups.

Are you sure you saw a video of mine? :joy:. Thanks, buddy, but you don’t have anything to envy. :metal:

Keep rockin’ :guitar:

1 Like

Great stuff!
And quite the video production value as well! :smiley:

I noticed in the Enter Sandman video that you lift up your fingers really far while this isn’t necessary. Expecially on the faster chord work (1:50 etc)
You will benefit from this “minimal movement exercise”: Minimum Movement Exercise | JustinGuitar.com

in your Zombie ritual video I see that this is ok on most of the scale work but than once again, your hangd goign very “open” and back to the stings.

1 Like

Thanks again Edgar! :sunglasses:

Yeah tone is tough eh?! So many factors to consider! I haven’t played around much with virtual amp simulators but the options seem endless! Then having to also factor in the guitar’s specifics as well, it is almost a bit overwhelming really! Something I need to spend more time on… I have always thought I need to focus on getting better at playing guitar before delving too deeply into the finer aspects like tone and effects. Although that’s probably a terrible idea as they are so crucial to the final result that it’s likely as important to get those right as it is to play well. Plus playing around with tones/effects is pretty fun too! :sweat_smile: So many aspects to consider! But all in good time I guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Lieven! Really appreciate you taking the time to check these videos out! :smiley:

Thanks for your advice on this too! I hadn’t paid any attention to that until I made these recordings. Now I can’t stop focusing on it! :joy: @glpguitar mentioned the Minimal Movement exercise too so I checked it out (so great!) and I have been practicing the exercise each day since, already feel like it is helping a lot :crossed_fingers: I plan to post a comparison video once I feel I have made some noticeable improvement. Hopefully soon!

Thanks again and all the best! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow Jeff! What a way to close out module 12. That was metal through and through. What a way to rock it. Minor flubs but in the grand scheme of what you have just presented us, they were nothing.

Awesome stuff, fingers of flames. You should be really proud of what you have achieved.

1 Like

Wow that was some sweet jamming alongs nice man keep it up! Rock on!

1 Like

Thanks so much Stefan! :smiley:

Thanks also, Byron! Rock on too buddy!! :metal::sunglasses:

Hey Jeff, I’m learning Enter Sandman now and I’ve watched your video a few times to figure out how you do it :rofl:. Pretty useful, watching your fingering and what fills you do.

1 Like