Enter Sandman rhythm guitar cover. Metal time!

This was fantastic! I aspire to play more Metallica, and you nailed it.

2 Likes

Hey sounding really good @jkahn !

Can you share your recording setup?
I am looking into a Focusrite audio interface or the like. Interested to learn your process.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey JK, so cool to see another forum member dip his toes in a bit of metal - we definitely need more of that :slight_smile:
I thought it was a pretty good effort overall, lot’s of advice has already been given on how to improve from here (muting, timing etc). For what it’s worth, I always found rhythm guitar quite hard to get down tight in metal - sometimes harder than the solos (which usually also presents their fair share of challenges :)). But the rhythm work needs to be so precise, and the hand movements required for some of those power chord changes are actually really, really fast! Not easy to nail, for sure!

Keep working at it, it’s so much fun to play!

Kasper

3 Likes

@Endureth Love that video clip of Metallica! I’ve seen a shorter version before (cut to make fun of Kirk) -. but this longer version puts things into perspective a bit more. And, as guitar players, we cannot really make fun of Kirk for some initial struggle with that riff, can we? James is a monster, and this riff sounded tough as hell to get the rhythm down for :wink:

2 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

Killed it as always JK. The only thing missing was a wig for you to throw on and head-bang along while playing haha. Nice work mate.

1 Like

That was amazing man! Good job! Especially for just a year of playing i can tell you have improved alot from the last OM that we had. Nice! I may have to give a crack at this as well, as i have a electric now lol. I just havn’t really been playing much lately. Thanks!!

1 Like

Great job - thanks for sharing.
I too have been working on this song for a while - off and on. Apart from being a great song the reason I stick with it is that I know it will improve my timing and palm muting. Both pretty difficult to nail on this song (at least for me, due to that syncopation) as other posts have alluded to.
One thing I did notice is that when you play the riff that Justin refers to as Riff 5 in his tutorial, you seem to miss out a note (the E on the 5th string 7th fret). Maybe it’s in there but I’m not hearing it.
Rock on!

1 Like

Good sound. Solid rythm. Sound great. Love it. Bravo!

1 Like

You know what, I went through and watched that bit and rewatched Justin, Carl Brown & Marty. I am playing the E on the 7th fret - it’s a slide into it - but what I’m not doing is the second E power chord which is why it sounds off. So that’s something to fix, thanks.

Thanks Travis, Metallica is fun to play, I find it tricky though! And this is supposed to be one of their easier songs.

Thanks for checking it out Kasper. This would be one of the first songs I’ve learnt that’s mainly riff based rather than chord (or power chord) based. I learnt heaps with it. Still years of practice ahead of me to get better at the details. I don’t think I can get that stuff close to perfect for a long time :smiley:

1 Like

Hey Jeff,

My recording setup is reasonably simple. Here’s an overview.

The physical chain is:

Fender Mustang GTX50 → XLR Line out (it has speaker cab modelling) → Focusrite 2i2.

The speaker volume on the GTX50 is all the way down so I can record late at night, and the headphone monitor out on the Focusrite goes into the aux in on my wireless headphones (they’re gaming ones, so latency is not noticeable).

I record in Ableton Live, which came with the Focusrite. I put the backing track down as a track in Ableton and record guitar onto a second track. Video is just with my webcam and I sync the audio between webcam and recording with the video editor I use.

Great and thanks for the info. I am planning to purchase a Focusrite 2i2 studio pack soon. It comes with the interface, mic, and headphones.

Yep, that’s what I got. The pack.

2 Likes