Epic guitar solos

Jeeeeeez :rofl::flushed::rofl:

Epic solos, eh?
Ta for the (un)official tags, peeps :smiley:
Hereā€™s my 2 cents:
Well I did see Prince live and he was better than the King. And whilst I appreciate the glorious goodness of Mr. Gilmour , could always listen to more of Mr. Moore and cry ā€œHail, Mr. Van Halen!ā€. Iā€™m not a great fan of solos per se :thinking:
I prefer slower, simple lines, preferably with a bit of dissonance that add to the song.
A couple that spring to mind are I will Survive by Cake. Superb cover with the funkiest bassline and a simple solo. The one at the very end comes close to a single note solo.
An Audience with the Pope by Elbow hits the perfect tone and sits so well in the songā€¦
And finally the guitar solo connecting the two halves of Paranoid Android is mind-boggling.
I think itā€™s the fact that I really love these songs themselves so much though that makes the solos stand out for me.
One day Iā€™ll play my own ā€˜epicā€™ solo :rofl:

1 Like

I think that it has a lot to do with what you personally like in a solo. For example, that Prince solo, for me, missed the mark compared to the original. Clapton had the feeling of a guitar gently weeping. Prince was more a guitar exuberantly shouting. I prefer solos with emotion to them rather than demonstrations of technical brilliance and speed. Probably why I like the blues masters so much.

1 Like

That would be epic. Iā€™ll be keeping my eyes open for that post :grinning: :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

2 Likes

Lucille just singing.

2 Likes

For me, solos like Comfortably Numb and Still Got the Blues are ones that are certainly epic in their length, masterful in their composition, and ooze emotion. They take you on a journey.

For mere mortals like us, as far as learning/playing some solos, Iā€™m always on the lookout for shorter ā€˜epicā€™ solos that grab me emotionally, and importantly, are great teachers. Some that have fit that bill so far are;

George Harrisonā€™s ā€œSomethingā€ (the Beatles greatest song IMO),

Angus Youngā€™s "You Shook Me All Night Longā€,

The Eaglesā€™ ā€œTake it Easyā€,

and if we can include intro/ outro solos, certainly

SRVā€™s ā€œMary Had A Little Lambā€, and,

Peter Greens, " Need Your Love So Bad".

BB Kings ā€œLucilleā€.

Cheers, Shane

5 Likes

And that is exactly what i expected Mr Larsen :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Pink Floyd - Time! Short but very sweet.

2 Likes

Definitely a contenderā€¦

Editā€¦ ooopsā€¦

2 Likes

She could have fronted for any number of all male rock and roll bands that came after her.

2 Likes

Surprised no one has mentioned Jimmy

2 Likes

I donā€™t care what people say about Kirk Hammet, he has composed some of the best riffs and solos in the history of metal. In my opinion he still does.

I will share this song but I could share many moreā€¦

4 Likes

When Hammet puts ā€œGreenyā€ back in the hands of a true bluesman where it belongs, Iā€™ll forgive him. Till then, his name is mud to me :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

For some tasty jazz soloing look at George Benson, who at the time of the original recording was I believe only 21. This is a live version.

What about this one? I wonder how much it is known abroadā€¦ Itā€™s one of my favourites! :heart_eyes: I clipped it but the time available for the clip is not enough, itā€™s longer.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxVCZ31LENIaKfmrlpY0eef4o6GIsadoVu?si=cHGXbt7d9AzFGIwS

@roger_holland ole ole ole Vasco Vascooo! :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

Very entertaining thread with a lot of interesting contributions already. :grinning:

I canā€™t resist to add my 2c to make sure that the legendary Brian May is mentioned here, too.

No specific song/solo, his style is just iconic and instantly recognizable.
I never get tired of listening to him, so he and his selfmade guitar surely deserve to be in this ā€œHall (thread) of Fameā€ :guitar:

2 Likes

Yep. Brian May should absolutly be on this listā€¦

1 Like

hereā€™s for you , one of my favourite

1 Like

Ok. I canā€™t resist contributing to this thread. Great idea @tRONd !!

There ARE too many to think about . . .your original post @tRONd is one of my all time favourites and I have a whole bunch to share about Prince. Heā€™s one of my musical heroes. However, in another time and place.

For this thread I must say that the solo in the clip below blew me away for two reasons:

First, I didnā€™t think it was possible to be THIS MELODIC with a SLIDE. And second, for B.B.'s comment at the very end of the clip. What a thing to get to hear from an all time great!!

Anyway, itā€™s beautiful ā€œart-on-the spotā€ and one of my all time favourites. Also love the fact that J.M. wasnā€™t even gonna try at that moment. . . :rofl: :rofl:

I hope you enjoy!!

3 Likes

Ahhhhh!!! Loved it!!
Im not even sure who that guy isā€¦ John Mayer was just sitting there mesmerized, you do have some serious skills when BB King and J Mayer reacts like that!! :rofl: